Renting a car?

kellymonster23

We are talking about renting a car on St Thomas when we are there on our Disney cruise in February. Are there any rental companies located near the cruise port? Do any offer shuttle service to/from the port if they are located at an offsite location?

Have you had good experiences with renting cars on St Thomas?

Any info would be appreciated!!

Budget & Avis both have offices near the pier & there may be some others.

As a former resident, I need to emphasize, THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT, with a standard right hand drive car. The driver is therefore driving next to the shoulder or curb. The roads are twisty, hilly, narrow or a combination of all 3.

Driving to the usual beaches is ok, but down town is better explored by walking.

As a former resident, I need to emphasize, THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT, with a standard right hand drive car. The driver is therefore driving next to the shoulder or curb. The roads are twisty, hilly, narrow or a combination of all 3.

Driving to the usual beaches is ok, but down town is better explored by walking.

Actually, in the Virgin Islands, they drive on the left side of the road in left-hand drive cars.

I don't know if your docking at Havensight or Crown Bay. Budget has an office you can walk to from Havensight. At Crown Bay, they'll come pick you up and drive you to their Contant location -- make sure you reserve your rental for pickup at that location.

With Budget, I've seen them run out of cars. This was at the Havensight location. DH & I got the last car they had, and several people who were in line behind us were turned away even though they had what they thought were "confirmed" reservations. :cool: So make sure you get over to their office quickly.

Also, with Budget, we'd reserved 4 Jeeps which they didn't have when we got there. So we settled for 4 sedans, which somehow didn't have the same "cool" factor that the teens in our party were expecting.

The last time we rented cars there, DH swore "never again," because the traffic was so horrendous. And -- yeah -- that "driving on the left side of the road" thing. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to St. Thomas several times and on 2 trips rented cars. I did the driving and other than the crowded downtown area it was a lovely way to see the island. Both times we encountered little traffic once on our way. I suggest you reserve your vehicle as early as possible to get the best choice and price. Make sure you carry your Driver License and I always bring a copy of my insurance card from home. Also check you credit cards to see which one offers the best auto rental insurance if the entire cost of the rental is placed on the card. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please tell me if the Avis Cruise Ship Dock Al Cohen's Mall is near Havensight?

Would we need to walk, or take a taxi to that location?

Thanks! We're headed there in a few days and we have a car held at Budget but wanted to go with Avis if it is close.

I don't know if your docking at Havensight or Crown Bay. Budget has an office you can walk to from Havensight. At Crown Bay, they'll come pick you up and drive you to their Contant location -- make sure you reserve your rental for pickup at that location.

With Budget, I've seen them run out of cars. This was at the Havensight location. DH & I got the last car they had, and several people who were in line behind us were turned away even though they had what they thought were "confirmed" reservations. :cool: So make sure you get over to their office quickly.

Also, with Budget, we'd reserved 4 Jeeps which they didn't have when we got there. So we settled for 4 sedans, which somehow didn't have the same "cool" factor that the teens in our party were expecting.

The last time we rented cars there, DH swore "never again," because the traffic was so horrendous. And -- yeah -- that "driving on the left side of the road" thing. :eek:

Hi! Do you know if Avis at Al Cohen's is near Havensight cruise ship dock? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my 2 cents -- we've rented cars multiple times from the Havensight locations of both companies, Avis and Budget.

Budget is right across the driveway from where the ships dock (West Indies/Havensight dock). You'll see it immediately when you exit (or from the deck of the ship as you are docking). They are convenient, but every time we've rented a jeep, we end up with a sedan because "all the jeeps were taken for a ship excursion this morning."

Avis is just a couple of blocks' walk from the dock. We've received a jeep every time we've rented one.

They are both around $80-85 for the day. My husband always drives, and has no problem with traffic. Hardest thing to remember is looking the correct direction when pulling out at an intersection! LOL Otherwise, the island is beautiful and very easy to navigate.