Lighthouse and Fort on Island next to Kusadasi Port

I know this is a longshot, but I was wondering if anyone has gone to the little island close to where cruise ships dock in Kusadasi. I'm a lighthouse nut and there's a lighthouse on that island, so I would like to go there. It looks to be only a 15 minute walk from the pier. Has anyone gone there? I know there's a fort there also, and some boats are docked there.

Also, I was wondering if the statue of Ataturk still stands on a hill visible from where ships dock. Does he? Can I assume that it's way too far to walk up there?

I'll have a couple hours after visiting Ephesus and want to do something back in Kusadasi. I'm not much of a shopper, though, so don't know if the shops there will interest me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we did this, if we are talking about the same thing....it's an easy walk; and once you get there lots of paths thru the greenery. It's a pleasant stroll but nothing truly memorable. Good views and good people watching - lots of European tourists strolling as well. It appeared to be a popular area for vacation rentals.

It was a good way to recover in peace after all the "attention" you get in the bazaar!

Good luck.

Thanks, however, are you talking about walking to the little island next to the port, with the fort and lighthouse? You're not talking about the walk (if there is one) up to the Ataturk statue, are you? I'm thinking that's too far away, but the island looks like a reasonable walk.

I did a little research and found on TripAdvisor.com that someone says the walk to the island/fort is 5-10 minutes from the town center (where the port is). But it also indicates the Fort itself is currently closed (as of June 2015) for renovation. But you can apparently still walk out there.

Regarding the walk up to the Ataturk statue, I found another site that says "The road leading to the top is fairly steep, so getting a taxi is the best way to travel there." But I have not yet found any distance or times estimates to walk it. As near as I can tell from the map, the access to the statue might be from the back side (away from the port), so this would seem to increase the distance.

I also just found this previous posting on the topic... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686493

Edited by MeHeartCruising