Recommendations for our port time

Libertarian

Hi,

We are going to Costa Maya in Nov.Our port time is from 12-8 we having a hard figuring out what to do during that time.We were there before from 9-5 and went to Maya Chan but not sure if that is enough time to do that again.

I'm not sure how late places stay open on the Malecon, but check out my full review of Blue Kay (listed in my signature line). The place is beautiful and my review has tons of pictures of the place. They are like a cabin/camping place, so it's not like the "close" because they have people staying there, so I would check them out. (It's free to come and stay...just buy drinks/food and they'll be happy). :)

I'm not sure how late places stay open on the Malecon, but check out my full review of Blue Kay (listed in my signature line). The place is beautiful and my review has tons of pictures of the place. They are like a cabin/camping place, so it's not like the "close" because they have people staying there, so I would check them out. (It's free to come and stay...just buy drinks/food and they'll be happy). :)

Mitsugirly,

I want to thank you for all your advice you have posted, it has helped us immensely with our port decisions.

We will be in Costa Maya in Feb. and don't arrive until noon (1 other ship arrives at 8 am). Our plan is to go to Blue Kay for the afternoon and lounge around and enjoy lunch and a few beverages. Since we won't be making reservations for the AI, I'm assuming it could be too busy. If that happens we are planning on just doing some shopping and returning to the port area. Is the Malecon /town shopping area within walking distance of Blue Kay?

Thank you

Debr

Mitsugirly,

I want to thank you for all your advice you have posted, it has helped us immensely with our port decisions.

We will be in Costa Maya in Feb. and don't arrive until noon (1 other ship arrives at 8 am). Our plan is to go to Blue Kay for the afternoon and lounge around and enjoy lunch and a few beverages. Since we won't be making reservations for the AI, I'm assuming it could be too busy. If that happens we are planning on just doing some shopping and returning to the port area. Is the Malecon /town shopping area within walking distance of Blue Kay?

Thank you

Debr

You are very welcome and glad I could help some.

I may be a little confused with your questions.

You mentioned "since we won't be making reservastions for the AI" what AI are you referring to? Are you meaning since you won't be making a reservation at ANOTHER AI...like Maya Chan or Almaplena? From everything I have gathered, most people do not know about Blue Kay and since it's at the very end of the Malecon (or I should say the very beginning) they don't get a lot of foot traffic or people just wondering down there. It's also a camp ground/hut type rental, so others probably don't even realize that it's not a private place and that they can still hang out there during the day. So I wouldn't think it's going to be too crowded.

Blue Kay is right on the Malecon. So yes, you can walk up and down the Malecon, but I'm really not sure how much shopping there is to do there. It's not like most places that have a street full of shopping after shopping places to walk up and down to. It's more like restaurants and sporting places up and down it.

I haven't adventured off the malecon while there so not sure if you go a few streets over if there's shopping places or not. Maybe someone else would be able to answer you on that. I just know from my research (and experience) that it's mostly hotels and restaurants.

For shopping, we have just purchased things in the port. It's your normal port with stores all over the place. The port is very nice and even has a huge and nice pool for taking a dip in after being at the beach all day. :)

You are very welcome and glad I could help some.

I may be a little confused with your questions.

You mentioned "since we won't be making reservastions for the AI" what AI are you referring to? Are you meaning since you won't be making a reservation at ANOTHER AI...like Maya Chan or Almaplena? From everything I have gathered, most people do not know about Blue Kay and since it's at the very end of the Malecon (or I should say the very beginning) they don't get a lot of foot traffic or people just wondering down there. It's also a camp ground/hut type rental, so others probably don't even realize that it's not a private place and that they can still hang out there during the day. So I wouldn't think it's going to be too crowded.

Blue Kay is right on the Malecon. So yes, you can walk up and down the Malecon, but I'm really not sure how much shopping there is to do there. It's not like most places that have a street full of shopping after shopping places to walk up and down to. It's more like restaurants and sporting places up and down it.

I haven't adventured off the malecon while there so not sure if you go a few streets over if there's shopping places or not. Maybe someone else would be able to answer you on that. I just know from my research (and experience) that it's mostly hotels and restaurants.

For shopping, we have just purchased things in the port. It's your normal port with stores all over the place. The port is very nice and even has a huge and nice pool for taking a dip in after being at the beach all day. :)

Sorry for my confusion on the "AI" statement .. From what I've read they charge a fee (like a AI) if you want water toys and a reserved lounger, but no fee for the lounger if you purchase food and beverages.

Good to know it shouldn't be crowded. Assuming we can take the open air shuttle to Blue Kay? Does it stop in front or get off elsewhere?

We will just go back to the port area for our "shopping fix."

Thank you

Debr

Sorry for my confusion on the "AI" statement .. From what I've read they charge a fee (like a AI) if you want water toys and a reserved lounger, but no fee for the lounger if you purchase food and beverages.

Good to know it shouldn't be crowded. Assuming we can take the open air shuttle to Blue Kay? Does it stop in front or get off elsewhere?

We will just go back to the port area for our "shopping fix."

Thank you

Debr

The packages they had when we were there was basically a "sports" package. I think it was like $35 and if gave you access to the kayaks, bikes, and snorkeling equipment. It doesn't actually reserve a chair or umbrella or anything like that. You just pick where you want to sit that's available. But we didn't get the package since we had our own snorkeling equipment.

I believe they were coming up with new packages last time I looked that included like drinks-all you can drink for the day during certain hours for 1 price. We felt the prices of the food and drinks (both soda and alcohol) were very reasonable and we ate and drank all day for all 3 of us and it was only $48ish or so for the entire time we were there for everything.

Yes, the open air bus will get you there for only $3pp. They drop you off right next door (at Senor Frogs) and you just walk over. It's the very first stop they come to and simple to get there. When you are ready to leave, Blue Kay will call you a cab and it doesn't take but about 5 min to get there and pick you up and back to the port...which is only about 10 minutes or less away. :) (For the same price).

It's definitely probably one of the cheapest port days I have come across and one of the best.

The packages they had when we were there was basically a "sports" package. I think it was like $35 and if gave you access to the kayaks, bikes, and snorkeling equipment. It doesn't actually reserve a chair or umbrella or anything like that. You just pick where you want to sit that's available. But we didn't get the package since we had our own snorkeling equipment.

I believe they were coming up with new packages last time I looked that included like drinks-all you can drink for the day during certain hours for 1 price. We felt the prices of the food and drinks (both soda and alcohol) were very reasonable and we ate and drank all day for all 3 of us and it was only $48ish or so for the entire time we were there for everything.

Yes, the open air bus will get you there for only $3pp. They drop you off right next door (at Senor Frogs) and you just walk over. It's the very first stop they come to and simple to get there. When you are ready to leave, Blue Kay will call you a cab and it doesn't take but about 5 min to get there and pick you up and back to the port...which is only about 10 minutes or less away. :) (For the same price).

It's definitely probably one of the cheapest port days I have come across and one of the best.

Once again .. Thank you .. We are set for Costa Maya!

Debr

Thank you!Yes we were torn between Blue Kay and one of the ruins. Blue Kay looks amazing!We like that we can order food and drinks all day. Reading your review I am glad to know the food was good.We were thinking of Almaplena but you only get one meal during the day and we like to snack all day.

Thank you!Yes we were torn between Blue Kay and one of the ruins. Blue Kay looks amazing!We like that we can order food and drinks all day. Reading your review I am glad to know the food was good.We were thinking of Almaplena but you only get one meal during the day and we like to snack all day.

I just wanted to add...at Almaplena, they do bring you snacks as well. At least they did back when we went. ;) I thought the snacks were better than the meal that we had there.

PC170049-L.jpg

I am glad to know that.I contacted them a few weeks who and they said they only offer lunch.Were drinks all day?

Then they must have changed it since I was there. Yes, drinks were all day long as much as you want when we went.