Hotel Smeraldo--transportation to/from FCO & cruise port

mlrandpkm

Hi,

This is our first trip to Rome (actually, first trip to Europe!). Through research on CC, we've narrowed our pre/post cruise nights to Hotel Smeraldo (primarily because of location and budget). Thank You CC members!

My question is...I've read on a few CC posts that there may be a hotel arranged shuttle to/from FCO as well as cruise terminal. Does anyone have any experience with this? We had originally been thinking about booking a hotel close to the termini to use the train, as taxis seem quite costly...but I'm very intrigued about this shuttle that I've read about, but unable to find out on hotel website.

It's not that we're opposed to spending money on taxis, etc., but just trying to be mindful. We're heading out on a cruise in 2.5 weeks and then spending a week in London/Paris for a week before this Med cruise, so we're trying not to overdo it, where possible! ;)

If anyone has any travel tips (or any other tips, for that matter) about our location at this hotel, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks so much.

You picked a great area!!! WAY better than termini!! I don't know what the hotel might charge for airport pickup, but I believe there is an airport train that stops in Trastevere which would work well for you; from there you could take a short taxi ride to your hotel.

As far as getting to the port, have you joined your roll call to see if people are looking for others to join them in a shared transport? That always seems to be the most economical option. However you can take a taxi to Termini and catch a train from there for about six euros which will take you to the port town of Civitavecchia. That's probably the least expensive method but also does require some managing of luggage

Edited by CathyCruises

Thanks Cathy...I think, in fact, some of the info that you provided in other threads led us to this hotel/location! ;)

Yes, we are signed up on the roll call, but not much activity about transportation to the port. I may pose the question though.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

We are also staying at Hotel Smeraldo when we spend three days pre-cruise in Rome. I haven't booked the hotel shuttle yet, but here is the info I got from them when I asked about it:

In order to arrange your airport pick-up please let us know the following information:

The name of your arrival airport Ciampino or Fiumicino.

The name of your departure airport.

The airline company including the flight number.

The scheduled time of arrival.

As soon as we will have this information we will take care to reserve the transfer for you.

We remind you the transfer costs 55 EUR flat rate.

It seems like the best option for us as we won't have to worry about finding a taxi and directing them to the hotel.

Enjoy your trip! :)

The transfer at $ 55 Euro from FCO Airport to the Smeraldo is a good rate.

Hotel Smeraldo is in a great location. Be sure not to miss the Church of St Andrea de Valle (Act 1 TOSCA) just down the street. Campo de Fiori and Piazza Farneze nearby . Also within easy walking distance of the hotel Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Piazza Navona, Castel de St Angelo .

Taxis in Roma are not expensive so take one from your hotel to Roma Termini station . From there take the train to Civitavecchia departing half hourly and takes around 40 minutes.

On arrival in Civitavecchia station walk out front turn right down the ramp road and the cruise port entry is 15 minute walk on wheeled trolly friendly footpath . Port entry is what likes a round castle. From there shuttle buses will take you to your ship. Alternatively you can take a taxi fixed rate 15 Euros from the railway station to cruise port entry .

The transfer at $ 55 Euro from FCO Airport to the Smeraldo is a good rate.

Hotel Smeraldo is in a great location. Be sure not to miss the Church of St Andrea de Valle (Act 1 TOSCA) just down the street. Campo de Fiori and Piazza Farneze nearby . Also within easy walking distance of the hotel Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Piazza Navona, Castel de St Angelo .

Taxis in Roma are not expensive so take one from your hotel to Roma Termini station . From there take the train to Civitavecchia departing half hourly and takes around 40 minutes.

On arrival in Civitavecchia station walk out front turn right down the ramp road and the cruise port entry is 15 minute walk on wheeled trolly friendly footpath . Port entry is what likes a round castle. From there shuttle buses will take you to your ship. Alternatively you can take a taxi fixed rate 15 Euros from the railway station to cruise port entry .

You have posted this info about arrival in Civitavecchia several times, but it's incorrect currently. The port is undergoing construction and the port shuttle is now located about a mile away from the train station and is not walking-friendly. There is the possibility of a shuttle for about 1 euro to take you from the train to the port shuttle, which involves a lot of baggage maneuvering, a problem for some posters. Also, the train from Termini to Civitavecchia does not necessarily depart every half hour--much safer to refer folks to the http://www.trenitalia.com site so they can check the current schedules.

I think the shared shuttle idea is a great one. I also believe that a taxi from the airport to the Smeraldo would be a fixed fee of €48 but I can't swear to that, no issue in the driver finding the hotel. . .my question is, is the €55 per person or per couple?

You have posted this info about arrival in

I think the shared shuttle idea is a great one. I also believe that a taxi from the airport to the Smeraldo would be a fixed fee of €48 but I can't swear to that, no issue in the driver finding the hotel. . .my question is, is the €55 per person or per couple?

My experience has been €50 to €55 per car (didn't matter if there was one passenger or four) from FCO to Rome, so I've been going this route. While the fixed fee is €48 for a taxi there is also the €1 tax per bag over one bag. So, when you consider the ease of having a driver waiting there for you, grabbing your bag and whisking me away it's well worth the few extra euros. Plus, if you're not staying at a well known hotel (I normally stay in an apartment) having the car pre-booked is really great as the driver knows where to go.

Edited by Girr

Wow, just went on the bob's limousine website and it seems to be much cheaper? If I'm reading correctly, it looks like a shared shuttle from FCO to a Rome hotel would be 38 Euro for 2 ppl? And 70 Euro for 2 ppl from Rome hotel to Civitavecchia? Sure hope these are the rates--that's fabulous.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Those are pretty good. We did a shared van from the port into Rome year before last and I think it was 25€ pp, but we had it all arranged through our roll call. So if they're putting the group together and taking the hit if someone doesn't show up, that's not bad.

I agree on the 55€ for a car service if that's per room/couple!

Wow, just went on the bob's limousine website and it seems to be much cheaper? If I'm reading correctly, it looks like a shared shuttle from FCO to a Rome hotel would be 38 Euro for 2 ppl? And 70 Euro for 2 ppl from Rome hotel to Civitavecchia? Sure hope these are the rates--that's fabulous.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Michelle that is correct. Although in November, it was 37€ to the airport from Rome... so don't let them know that you are pleasantly surprised, or next time we go to Rome it will be 50€!!!

I booked the shuttles online, and then paid cash with a tip on the days of service.

We used Bob's for pickup at the airport and then a drive to our Civitavecchia hotel. Post-cruise, we stayed a couple of days at a hotel ( Hotel Golden) in Rome, and used Bob's again to the airport. It was the first stop for the shuttle on the return airport run, and our van and driver were waiting well in advance of our pickup time. Then we made one more stop at a different hotel for another couple and off we went! It was a very comfortable vehicle, smooth drive, and anxiety-free both trips.

Michelle that is correct. Although in November, it was 37€ to the airport from Rome... so don't let them know that you are pleasantly surprised, or next time we go to Rome it will be 50€!!!

I booked the shuttles online, and then paid cash with a tip on the days of service.

We used Bob's for pickup at the airport and then a drive to our Civitavecchia hotel. Post-cruise, we stayed a couple of days at a hotel ( Hotel Golden) in Rome, and used Bob's again to the airport. It was the first stop for the shuttle on the return airport run, and our van and driver were waiting well in advance of our pickup time. Then we made one more stop at a different hotel for another couple and off we went! It was a very comfortable vehicle, smooth drive, and anxiety-free both trips.

LOL...very true!

When picking you up at the airport/cruise port, I assume they are at arrivals with a card with your name on it? And, what would be considered an appropriate tip for the driver (again, sorry, haven't been to Europe). 2 ppl with 1 lg suitcase each, I'm thinking 5 or 6 Euro. We certainly don't want to be cheap, but don't want to necessarily be giving much more than would be expected.

Yes, the driver was holding a sign in the airport and was very easy to spot. We thought the airport itself was one of the nicest we have been in, and easy to get around. As I recall, we tipped about 5 € and he was very appreciative of that.

What ports are you most excited about?

That's great, thank you!

Hmmm...which ports...that's a good question. It's hard to say! I'm Super excited to see Rome and the Vatican. And for the weirdest reason, I'm really excited about Mallorca (I remember hearing characters speak of it in a show many, many years ago when I was growing up--and it's always sounded so exotic to me!) And of course, Barcelona too. Looking forward to them all! :D

That's great, thank you!

Hmmm...which ports...that's a good question. It's hard to say! I'm Super excited to see Rome and the Vatican. And for the weirdest reason, I'm really excited about Mallorca (I remember hearing characters speak of it in a show many, many years ago when I was growing up--and it's always sounded so exotic to me!) And of course, Barcelona too. Looking forward to them all! :D

I am totally non-religious, but really appreciated the Vatican sites for their huge place in history. I highly recommend trying to book the Scavi tour at the Vatican while you're in Rome. It takes you down into the ancient burial sites underneath the basilica, and claims to show the bones of St. Peter himself. It is a fascinating story and dates back about 2000 years. You can submit a request, then have to wait to see if you get a spot. One of the most memorable things I've ever seen.

That's great, thank you!

You will have a great time! Mallorca is the one port on your itinerary that we haven't been to yet, and like you, it has always sounded exotic to me too! Hope you enjoy it. We actually liked St. Peters better than the Vatican; took guided tours of both.

Cathycruises suggestion about scavi sounds interesting too if there is time; we didn't do that tour. Yet!

We did visit the Borghese Gallery- I think that was my favourite in Rome so far.

Edited by QuattroRomeo

WOW, that sounds fascinating!! THANK YOU both, so much, I would never have known of some of these and will definitely check them out. You've been so helpful and I really appreciate it!

Here is the info for the Scavi tour. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_en.html

I would never have known about it if not for Cruise Critic, just paying it forward!!

:D I've sent off the email--fingers crossed!

And QuattroRomeo, we've checked out the Borghese Gallery as well...looks wonderful! Thanks again.

Another one of our favorites is the Capitoline Museum adjacent to the Roman Forum, lots of treasures from antiquity, including the amazing larger-than-life bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius on horseback dating to 175 AD.

And when you have seen everything there is to see, there is a 'secret' staircase that takes you to the backside of the 'Wedding Cake' (the Vittorio Emanuele monument) to a lovely cafe overlooking the entire Forum where you can enjoy a nice cappuccino! This has become a tradition for us on every trip to Rome.

Is Bob's you speak of through the TreNnitalia?