Western Caribbean for a Weak Swimmer

igepal

Interested in doing a western Caribbean tour in October. Would love to do a dolphin experience and some snorkeling, but my son is a very weak swimmer. Are there options available for weak swimmers?

Also, do most of the snorkeling organizations have restroom facilities on their boats? My son has special issues....

I am a special education teacher. All snorkeling excursions should have restrooms on board. However, the restrooms are generally below deck requiring to go down narrow stairs. Some beaches are very calm.

Thank you! My son could probably handle stairs as long as he had some good hand holds. Do most of the excursions have life preservers for the weak swimmers?

All of them will. If they don't, they should not be in business. They will have life jackets/snorkel vests provided. While most tours require that you wear them, some do not. If your son is small, you may want to bring one along that fits comfortably and securely.

There are several excellent calm off-the-beach snorkeling options on these islands, as well as very nice daysail cats that include professional snorkel instructions and as mentioned toilets accessible by ladder rail.

However sea conditions can be rough or there can be a strong current when moored off shore so you will want to explore your specific options at each destination. You can learn from these island sources here on cruisecritic, and also by visiting the forums on tripadvisor dot com.

Look at the itinerary you're interested in then at those destinations for more specific ideas. Also note that there are great snorkeling options in the other areas of the Carib.

• 1 month later...