Advice on voltage please? UK/US voltage.

znapdragon

Hi, I'd be really grateful if anyone can help please. We're off to Alaska on the Coral in September. I've got a plug adaptor so I can plug in my battery recharger for my camera batteries. As the voltage is different in the USA will I need some kind of transformer - presumably plugging in my recharger via the adaptor won't work as the voltage will be too low??? Maybe it will be cheaper, in the end, to take/buy batteries for the hundreds of photos I am going to take?! Are good quality AA batteries expensive is US? (how much?) Thanks very much for any help.

Happy Cruisin'

:)

The OP is from Britain, where the electricity IS different. Best bet might be to buy

4 or 6 rechargeable batteries and a 110V North American charger for them when you get

here and use it during your cruise. Probably cost about $50.00 and much less hassle

than trying to match converters, plugs, etc. Also, check the information on the charger

you have - it may be dual voltage and could work on N.A. voltage with just a plug

adapter. Most appliances we buy here work well in the UK and Europe this way.

Thanks very much for info! I had wondered about buying a battery charger in the US when I get there. Perhaps it might be better to buy batteries - $50.00 might be a lot of pay out as I am only in Canada and the US for two and a half weeks. I wonder what other UK visitors do - I know some of them read these excellent boards! thanks again. :)

znapdragon,

I think you´d be o.k. with just an adaptor. Usually rechargers work with all voltage. DH has a lot of electronic equipment (digital camera, video, CD burner) and he just plugs it in using an adaptor. Read the instruction book of your camera I´m sure there´s something written about recharging with different voltage.

steamboats

I have a Powerex MAHA charger that is switchable between 110 and 220 so with that all you would need would be an adaptor. I specifically bought this model so I could also use it while in the UK so the opposite would work for you.

It's almost certain your battery charger will accept dual voltages - look at the fine print on the charger's label - it should say something like "120-240v" somewhere.

A couple of cruise ships we've been on also had standard continental 2-pin (not UK) power points; can't speak for Carnival but maybe you could ring them to see, or prowl the Carnival board.

Archived