Please educate me on spray tanning

shipgeeks

Does it last long enough for a 10-night cruise? Will it rub off on clothing, shoes and towels?

I've only done self-tanners, which do come off on clothing. Would a spray tan be a good choice?

I don't tan, and won't be trying to. Just want to cover up some spider veins and other imperfections.

Thanks!

Does it last long enough for a 10-night cruise?

It lasts about a week depending. The more you stay out of the water, the longer it lasts. Also you will want to start exfoliating about every other day starting a week before you tan.

Will it rub off on clothing, shoes and towels?

Yes, the day after the tan you will want to be careful. There is also an instant bronzer they can add to the tanning as it takes four to 24 hours for the tan to set in. This bronzer is basically makeup and it will come off everywhere. I suggest opting out of that one. Keep in mind as the tan develops your skin may appear splotchy.

I've only done self-tanners, which do come off on clothing. Would a spray tan be a good choice?

Spray tan are far superior in appearance to personal tanning. I would use the personal tanning lotions as a supplement to the spray tan as it fades. You can buy these at the salon or at the drug store. Some are better than others.

I don't tan, and won't be trying to. Just want to cover up some spider veins and other imperfections.

I don't (sun) tan either and look 5-10 years younger than my age as a result. I spray tan because I am pale and every imperfection shows as you mentioned, spider veins, cellulite etc..It is a confidence booster and I enjoy occasionally sporting a tan albeit artificial.

Hope this helps!

I get a spray tan a couple of days before the cruise and bring along Tan Towels to keep it looking good. I am free to swim, be active, etc. knowing that I can keep it from being blotchy with the use of the Tan Towels.

http://www.amazon.com/Tan-Towel-Towels-Classic-Count/dp/B000SX3380/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1422243856&sr=1-1&keywords=tan+towels&pebp=1422243862702&peasin=B000SX3380

I am also very pale and like to get a spray tan before I cruise. I find that the airbrush type work much better for me than the booth. It's a little more expensive, but I feel like the coverage is better.

I've found that for me, the thing that keeps it looking better longer is to moisturize like crazy! I usually use regular body lotion at first, and also take along a tube of the Jergens brand tanner lotion, and start using that after a few days. That helps the tan stay, and I haven't had any trouble with that rubbing off on clothes. Just make sure you let yourself air dry for a minute first.

Another thought: Is spray tanning ever available onboard? Seems silly to do it ahead of time, and have it mostly gone by the time we hit shorts weather.

You will want to be consistent with it, think what it will be like to come in pale the first dinner and then golden the next. Quite a shock :p Also, ask the tanning salon about extender lotions that help the tan last longer.

Here's a treatment I found on the Royal Caribbean / Elemis spa. menu:

St. Tropez Liquid Sunless Tanning for Face & Body

Duration: 50 minutes Prices starting from: 109.00 USD

Now keep in mind it costs about $15-30 for a one session spray tan and the sunless tanning aboard the ship will likely be through a lotion product, not the spray tan if even offered on your cruise line and sailing.