Assignment of GTY room

Lovedisneycruise

Hi all...for the first time, I have booked a discounted somewhat last-minute cruise with my daughter at the GTY rates. Since we just last cruised in November, we chose an inside guarantee (IGT) to save $$. (I hope I have the correct abbrev; sorry if not!)

Needless to say, I am very excited because we leave soon.:eek:

I have read previously on these boards that Disney typically assigns room numbers 2 weeks out--we are now within that timeframe and I keep nervously checking my reservation for a room number, but nothing yet. So......I am wondering--does it mean anything if you don't have your room assigned and the cruise is really soon? In other words, does that mean the ship is really full? Empty and they are waiting to see what addl rooms sell? Or is it just random as to how the rooms are assigned for the discounted rates?

I know we will have a great time no matter what and I should just probably stop checking! But I thought I would ask here in the meantime. :D

Yes, typical is about 2 weeks out from the cruise, but sometimes you don't find out till you get to the terminal.

It tells you nothing about how full the ship is or is not. That's really up to the success of the *GT promotion. It tells you it was not full when that started. You get a better idea of how full it is by seeing whether they are still selling the promotional rates.

At some point, the cruise will disappear from the ability to book on line for a period of hours. This means that a CM is making assignments for all the *GT bookings. It will suddenly reappear, but the available categories may be different as some may now be filled.

Sorry, nothing you can do but sit and wait. Hint--when you get to the terminal, if you have an odd number, that's an inside cabin. If you have an even number, you just got an upgrade.

Hi all...for the first time, I have booked a discounted somewhat last-minute cruise with my daughter at the GTY rates. Since we just last cruised in November, we chose an inside guarantee (IGT) to save $$. (I hope I have the correct abbrev; sorry if not!)

Needless to say, I am very excited because we leave soon.:eek:

I have read previously on these boards that Disney typically assigns room numbers 2 weeks out--we are now within that timeframe and I keep nervously checking my reservation for a room number, but nothing yet. So......I am wondering--does it mean anything if you don't have your room assigned and the cruise is really soon? In other words, does that mean the ship is really full? Empty and they are waiting to see what addl rooms sell? Or is it just random as to how the rooms are assigned for the discounted rates?

I know we will have a great time no matter what and I should just probably stop checking! But I thought I would ask here in the meantime. :D

Any guarantee reservation - whether a "regular" GTY or last minute *GT - can be assigned at any time between original booking date up to, and including, embarkation day.

That said, generally, GTY assignments show up in the 45-60 day window, and *GT assignments show up around 10-14 days prior (usually on a Tuesday).

Thanks so much for the helpful info! (which is all new to me)

It is actually the Fantasy we will be sailing on and yes, all 3 categories are still offering the GT rates, so I guess I will have to just wait and see!:p

MM as usual appreciate your posts and thanks for the tip about odd/even room numbers. This will be my fifth cruise, so I will be GOLD after this one!:cool::D

• 2 weeks later...
I booked a verandah guarantee on the Dream. How will I be notified when my cabin is assigned? Will we receive preprinted luggage tags that include our cabin number?

Maybe.

A guarantee room can be assigned at any time from booking date up to, and including, embarkation day.

You will receive luggage tags in your cruise packet about 30-45 days out from the cruise. You may or may not actually have a room assigned at that time. The tag has a bar code that, when scanned at the port, the computer will tell the people delivering the bags to the rooms what room to take it to.

Your room assignment will just show up on your reservation, no notifications.

By "on your reservation" means on line at the DCL web site.

If you get your luggage tags with no cabin number and get an assignment before you leave home, you can write in the number in black marker. Just don't obscure the bar code. Your luggage will be delivered promptly with or without the cabin number written in.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for this info! Fingers crossed we will get a great cabin. On our fist Disney cruise I booked an inside GTY and was upgraded to the inside with the split bathroom on the Wonder - nice!

Glad you are happy, but technically you were not upgraded. You got exactly what you agreed to. An IGT means you can have any cat 10 or 11 cabin on the ship; you got a cat 10.

They do not give "bad" cabins on the *GT deals. They give whatever is unfilled by regular bookings. Nice when you get something good, isn't it?

Glad you are happy' date=' but technically you were not upgraded. You got exactly what you agreed to. An IGT means you can have any cat 10 or 11 cabin on the ship; you got a cat 10.

They do not give "bad" cabins on the *GT deals. They give whatever is unfilled by regular bookings. Nice when you get something good, isn't it?[/quote']

What does IGT mean? They told me it was an upgrade, that's all I know.

What does IGT mean? They told me it was an upgrade, that's all I know.

IGT means an inside guarantee--any inside cabin and you don't get to pick the category, location, or cabin number. There are many restrictions with this type of booking; hopefully your travel agent made you aware of these before you booked. Cute that "they" told you it was an upgrade, whomever "they" are.

OGT is Oceanview, VGT is verandah--same deal. An OGT means you get any cat 8 or 9 that they assign you, a VGT means any cat 4,5,6,or 7. You can luck out and get the nicest cabin in your type (which is what you got--the nicest of the interior cabins) or you can get the lowest type.

You have no recourse once you are assigned--DCL will not move you because you don't like the location or whatever. They WILL move you if there is a problem in your cabin that they are unable to repair.

Edited by moki'smommy

Glad you are happy' date=' but technically you were not upgraded. You got exactly what you agreed to. An IGT means you can have any cat 10 or 11 cabin on the ship; you got a cat 10.

They do not give "bad" cabins on the *GT deals. They give whatever is unfilled by regular bookings. Nice when you get something good, isn't it?[/quote']

The OP had an IGT room. The poster you're responding to here only said they had an "inside GTY". It's possible they had an 11 GTY and got a 10 assignment.

Edited by Shmoo here

The OP had an IGT room. The poster you're responding to here only said they had an "inside GTY". It's possible they had an 11 GTY and got a 10 assignment.

Yes! That is EXACTLY what happened. So, a one category upgrade. Right?

I never heard of IGT so I don't know what that means. Also, this was over 10 years ago so all I recall is being told it was an upgrade.

Yes, I have a great Disney travel agent!

Yes if you booked an 11GTY and got assigned to a cat 10, that's an upgrade. An 11GTY is not a discounted or restricted booking. It just means that a high percentage of the cat 11s have been booked, so DCL is no longer allowing you to choose a cabin. You will be assigned to an 11 or nicer.

Why are we discussing a cabin assignment from 10 years ago?