Canon PowerShot SX50 HS vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

lucky cal

Heading to Alaska this summer and am thinking about purchasing a bridge camera with superzoom. The two models I'm considering are in the title line. I'm an amateur who enjoys photography but I want the ease of a point-and-shoot with a great zoom and some advanced features. I want to be able to shoot great landscape photos, but want to capture close-ups of wildlife (bears, moose, whales, etc.).

I've read lots of reviews and the two cameras seem to be pretty evenly matched but I'm a novice so I may not be catching all the nuances. It seems the Canon has a more powerful zoom, while the Panasonic has a lesser zoom but the advantage of a constant aperture of f/2.8. The Panasonic is the more expensive of the two.

Can anyone comment on experience with these cameras in Alaska, particularly photographing wildlife? I'm wondering about image quality with the Canon, and whether the Panasonic's zoom is good enough to capture distant wildlife.

Thanks.

I have owned both and much prefer the FZ200. Check out this out on Photo & camera discussions forum. Used this camera in Alaska and it did the job see photos and discussion here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Another camera, newer model super zoom you might look at is the Sony HX400V.

A great place for info on these camera and owners viewpoint go to PREVIEW.COM

Tom :cool:

Heading to Alaska this summer and am thinking about purchasing a bridge camera with superzoom. The two models I'm considering are in the title line. I'm an amateur who enjoys photography but I want the ease of a point-and-shoot with a great zoom and some advanced features. I want to be able to shoot great landscape photos, but want to capture close-ups of wildlife (bears, moose, whales, etc.).

I've read lots of reviews and the two cameras seem to be pretty evenly matched but I'm a novice so I may not be catching all the nuances. It seems the Canon has a more powerful zoom, while the Panasonic has a lesser zoom but the advantage of a constant aperture of f/2.8. The Panasonic is the more expensive of the two.

Can anyone comment on experience with these cameras in Alaska, particularly photographing wildlife? I'm wondering about image quality with the Canon, and whether the Panasonic's zoom is good enough to capture distant wildlife.

Thanks.

I've had the Canon SX50 for two years now and love it. The zoom is incredible. The lower aperture for the Panasonic will help you in lower light but if you are doing wildlife and landscapes, the Canon will do incredibly well. I have used it for photographing everything from before sunrise to after sunset with beautiful colors and crispness.

I'm wondering about image quality with the Canon, and whether the Panasonic's zoom is good enough to capture distant wildlife.

Thanks.

I have the Panasonic and the SH-50. The Canon is much smaller and much lighter. Both have decent zooms and I had great success with the Panasonic in Alaska. I decided that I preferred the Panasonic and selling the SH-50 on eBay probably because of the constant f2.8 lens throughout the whole range of the zoom.

You might look at http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-Stylus-SH-50-iHS-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200

Best of luck on your choice.

I have the Panasonic and the SH-50. The Canon is much smaller and much lighter. Both have decent zooms and I had great success with the Panasonic in Alaska. I decided that I preferred the Panasonic and selling the SH-50 on eBay probably because of the constant f2.8 lens throughout the whole range of the zoom.

You might look at http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-Stylus-SH-50-iHS-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200

Best of luck on your choice.

The only item I have with this is that the comparison is for the Canon SX50 and not the Olympus.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX50-HS-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200

I have had the SX50 for 18 months (and all the SX models previous to it).

Took 10,000 RAW shots with it in Antarctica and have done plenty into huge canvases for the wall and they look stunning, and one has won a competion and also is featured in the current polar catalogues.

So safe to say I am happy with it - taking it back to the icey south next week.