Thessaloniki private tour?

cruisemom42

Has anyone taken a private tour in Thessaloniki? I will be there in October and I want to see the key ancient Roman/Greek/Byzantine sites in a half-day tour. (I am going to Vergina in the afternoon.)

The ship I'll be on offers two morning walking tours at no cost but neither of them offers the combination of highlights I'm hoping for.

Perhaps it would just be easier to make a deal with a taxi at the port for what I have in mind.

Any suggestions welcomed.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone taken a private tour in Thessaloniki? I will be there in October and I want to see the key ancient Roman/Greek/Byzantine sites in a half-day tour. (I am going to Vergina in the afternoon.)

The ship I'll be on offers two morning walking tours at no cost but neither of them offers the combination of highlights I'm hoping for.

Perhaps it would just be easier to make a deal with a taxi at the port for what I have in mind.

Any suggestions welcomed.

I have been looking too with little luck so far - but I am continuing the search. I'll let you know if I find anything. Prinsendam goes there this fall:D

really stumped if we should stay in the city or do some of the outside sites.

I will do likewise if I come across something.

For me, it wouldn't be possible to pass up the chance to see Vergina, but not everyone is as into history as I am...:) Luckily, it seems to me possible to do some of the city highlights in the morning and Vergina in the afternoon (tours offered free on Voyages to Antiquity, if I choose to go that route....)

I think I have found some - I am checking them out and will let you know what I find :D We have some planners on our cruise (not many but those that are, are dedicated ;)). If I find something will your point of interest I will definitely post.

If you prefer to email me off board, feel free. My email is in my signature and I am happy to share ;)

• 1 month later...

Cruisemom42 - no good deed goes unpunished.

We have found someone who is prompt in answering - I am still checking them out - http://www.transfersthessaloniki.com/en/tours-in-thessaloniki/8-tours-in-thessaloniki/36-tour-in-vergina-pella

That takes you to one of the tours (the one we are considering) but they do offer others and there is the option of a guide :)

Have you seen this one before? If you have and you decided they were not reputable - would appreciate hearing it.

I am still researching - haven't found much - but nothing bad.

hope this helps :)

• 4 weeks later...
Cruisemom42 - no good deed goes unpunished.

We have found someone who is prompt in answering - I am still checking them out - http://www.transfersthessaloniki.com/en/tours-in-thessaloniki/8-tours-in-thessaloniki/36-tour-in-vergina-pella

That takes you to one of the tours (the one we are considering) but they do offer others and there is the option of a guide :)

Have you seen this one before? If you have and you decided they were not reputable - would appreciate hearing it.

I am still researching - haven't found much - but nothing bad.

hope this helps :)

Actually cancel that. We found a better company, thessaloniki city tours - they are on trip advisor

Hope this helps. You might need to follow up on emails but it was worth it:D

I will report back when I return and of course there will be reports in my live thread

We have decided to do Thessaloniki on our own. After mapping out what we want to do, it seems most of it is walkable with just a short cab ride or two. But thanks for sharing the results of your research; as I bet Thessaloniki may become a more popular port.

We have decided to do Thessaloniki on our own. After mapping out what we want to do, it seems most of it is walkable with just a short cab ride or two. But thanks for sharing the results of your research; as I bet Thessaloniki may become a more popular port.

No problem. We are going to the sites of Alexander the Great - Pella & Vergina.

No problem. We are going to the sites of Alexander the Great - Pella & Vergina.

We will be going to Vergina in the afternoon. :) But there are some sites in Thessaloniki we want to see in the a.m.

Edited to add: The palace and theatre ruins at Vergina have been closed for several years for a major restoration project. They are supposed to reopen in 2014, but recent reports (from June) on TripAdvisor indicate they are still closed. I emailed the office there and they said I should contact them closer to the time we arrive (Oct 21) to find out if they will be reopened by then.

The wonderful museum with the tombs and the finds from them will be open, though.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 3 weeks later...
We will be going to Vergina in the afternoon. :) But there are some sites in Thessaloniki we want to see in the a.m.

Edited to add: The palace and theatre ruins at Vergina have been closed for several years for a major restoration project. They are supposed to reopen in 2014, but recent reports (from June) on TripAdvisor indicate they are still closed. I emailed the office there and they said I should contact them closer to the time we arrive (Oct 21) to find out if they will be reopened by then.

The wonderful museum with the tombs and the finds from them will be open, though.