11 day POA cruisetour-thanks

Lorey2007

I would like to thank all the posters on this forum who gave wonderful information & tips that made our Pride of America 11 day cruisetour a fantastic time. If anyone has any questions I'll answer any I can.

I do :)

We're looking to book PoA for next April or May and have debated doing the cruisetour (which is currently only available through April) or DIYing our pre-cruise stay in Honolulu. I've played with some pricing and the cruisetour package doesn't come out to much more than if we stayed 3 nights at the same resort, and without booking our own pre-cruise excursions (Pear Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc) through Roberts Hawaii or another tour vendor.

Did you find you had enough time at each destination? Was anything else included that's not on their website about the cruisetour? I know that NCL arranges airport pickup and then transportation to the pier, which I'm not sure how costly it would be if we booked everything independently. Do you have any pics from the cruisetour? Thanks!:D:D

I do :)

We're looking to book PoA for next April or May and have debated doing the cruisetour (which is currently only available through April) or DIYing our pre-cruise stay in Honolulu. I've played with some pricing and the cruisetour package doesn't come out to much more than if we stayed 3 nights at the same resort, and without booking our own pre-cruise excursions (Pear Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc) through Roberts Hawaii or another tour vendor.

Did you find you had enough time at each destination? Was anything else included that's not on their website about the cruisetour? I know that NCL arranges airport pickup and then transportation to the pier, which I'm not sure how costly it would be if we booked everything independently. Do you have any pics from the cruisetour? Thanks!:D:D

We did enjoy the cruise tour but I must say it was pretty tiring, you are up early on all days. The excursions were pretty much as described, some of the stops were only 30-40 minutes but were enough for us as we are quick at sight seeing and photo taking. There was more than enough time at the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, Plantation & ranch. We were lucky to get Cody as our guide for the 3 days and he was wonderful. I tried to request him at the NCL check in desk at the Marriott but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but out of the 3 buses we lucked out. From what I remember Roberts used the large buses at the same locations that we were at.

I know we didn't want to rent a car besides the nightmare of the traffic there is a charge for parking at the hotel parking $25-35 a night.

The biggest negative to me was not getting to the ship until 3:10, having to run to our stateroom to freshen up from a full day at the ranch with beach before meeting the cruise critic meet & greet that I had arranged at 3:45. Good thing I had my makeup, curling iron etc with me as our luggage was not yet in the cabin. We also had early excursions booked for each day of the cruise which meant not too much relaxing.

Edited by Lorey2007

Could you tell me about the lunch options (including approximate cost) on the land tour days?

Also, how much time was spent on the bus each day? Were there bathroom/stretch breaks on the longer drives?

Could you tell me about the lunch options (including approximate cost) on the land tour days?

Also, how much time was spent on the bus each day? Were there bathroom/stretch breaks on the longer drives?

There were plenty of stops to sight see, stretch and use the restroom. I don't think we were ever on the bus any longer than 45 min at one time and that was probably getting to the first stop or returning back to the hotel.

Thursday land tour - Dole Plantation/North Shore/Polynesian Cultural Center- met at the hotel at 8am and return to hotel 6pm

Lunch time was at the Polynesian Cultural Center we were directed to a new restaurant "Pounders" which didn't turn out to good, they didn't have enough help and we ended up walking out, would have been about $20-25 for pizza and 2 soft drinks. We ended up just getting a hot dog combo at a walk up stand about $12 for 2 of us.

Friday land tour - Pearl Harbor & Downtown tour - met at 8:15 Arrived and visited the Bowfin submarine and then met for a short movie and boat to the Arizona. We met at a designated place and took the bus to the Aviation museum. We had lunch at the museum about $8.99 per person. You ordered food and they brought it to you. When we left there we drove through the Punchbowl cemetery and then to downtown Honolulu. We stopped to get out and take pictures of the Iolani Palace and the King Kamehameha statue which is now shown on TV on Hawaii 50 as the 5 0 headquarters.

Saturday - Depart hotel at 7:30am, left our luggage in the room to be taken to the ship, we were allowed to bring a carry on which was stored under the bus.

Stopped at the Nuuanu Pali Lookout and then to the Kualoa Ranch Experience. At the ranch there was a agricultural demonstration, hula lesson and then a short boat ride across a fish pond to a beach. At the beach we were provided a box lunch which was included we had given our choice the day before. After lunch we look a tour aboard a catamaran. About a 45 minute bus ride to the ship arriving about 3:00pm.

All in all we had a wonderful time but I must admit it was very tiring. Hope this helps.

Edited by Lorey2007

We will be doing the 11 day cruise tour in September. On Friday we will be celebrating our anniversary. What time did you return to the hotel from the tour to Pearl Harbor and city? We want to make dinner reservations and wonder what the timing might be. Thank you in advance.

We will be doing the 11 day cruise tour in September. On Friday we will be celebrating our anniversary. What time did you return to the hotel from the tour to Pearl Harbor and city? We want to make dinner reservations and wonder what the timing might be. Thank you in advance.

I can't remember exactly but I believe it was somewhere around 4:30, we were back to the hotel earlier than the previous day.

When the tour went to Pearl Harbor, were you able to leave your things securely on the tour bus? I thought I had read that Pearl Harbor doesn't allow purses, etc.

We were not allowed to leave anything on the tour bus. I was allowed to have my camera, a point & shoot, in a case that clipped onto the belt loops on my capris. Cell phone, tissues, ID & money went in the pockets. Our tour guide told us we could put our stuff in a plastic shopping bag, the kind you get at the grocery store or Walmart, that's what a lot with our group did. There were a lot of people using the plastic bag that came from the ABC stores and some ladies had a small cross body purse, very small.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great thread; thank you for taking the time!

I might have many questions but the one most prominent for me right now is, do I need to print out my luggage tags, or can they take care of that at the NCL checkin at the hotel?

Also, I believe the Marriott charges $15 resort fee, do we have to pay that or is it included in our package?

Of the land tours, I too am concerned that they will make for long days, and coming from the east coast we'll be crashing on our pillows by 6pm!

Thanks again for taking the time!

Aloha!

Mid43 - the resort fee was included. We printed our tags out before we went. I don't know if they'd do it at the Marriott at check in. We didn't find them to be very helpful. We went on our trip last month. My review link is in my signature if you're interested in more info.

Thank you Carmzav, I appreciate the input. Travelling from NY I am just trying to find every little thing I don't need and not to worry about.

I have been following your review and it is very insightful, thank you for taking the time to write it and share your experience.

Aloha

This is a great thread; thank you for taking the time!

I might have many questions but the one most prominent for me right now is, do I need to print out my luggage tags, or can they take care of that at the NCL checkin at the hotel?

Also, I believe the Marriott charges $15 resort fee, do we have to pay that or is it included in our package?

Of the land tours, I too am concerned that they will make for long days, and coming from the east coast we'll be crashing on our pillows by 6pm!

Thanks again for taking the time!

Aloha!

Y

The resort fee was included in the package. I printed our tags at home and attached them with my very small travel stapler. The NCL desk was not very helpful they didn't know the answers to any of the questions I asked.

Thank you all for your responses and input.

One other question I have is that in Kona, the tender port, I am taking a private excursion and need to grab a taxi from the area where the tenders drop you off.

Are there taxi's in the area of this drop off point? I am hoping to catch one of the first tenders to shore as the private tour begins at 8am and as I understand it, it is about a 10-15 min drive.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Lorey can you tell me how your debark day worked out? Did you store luggage at the pier? Easy to find? $5 per bag? Easy pick up?

Thanks for any help.

-Cathy

We decided to hire a taxi for a 4 hour private tour I didn't want to take the chance of bad weather. The taxi picked us up and took us to some spots we hadn't been to and to do a little last minute souvenir shopping. Upon arrival at the airport we then had a leisurely lunch. Our flight was a hour late taking off then a 6 hour flight to Chicago a short layover and another one hour flight to Detroit. With the 6 hour time change it took me a week to adjust my body clock.:o