Renting a car from Hertz in kahului Maui

karoo

I am thinking of renting a car from Hertz for out port call in Kahului. Arriving on the Pride of America. I have read there is a shuttle to the airport where you have to book the car from. Do you have to let them know to come and pick you up from the dock as I can't see anywhere when booking online to let them know how you are arriving by cruise ship.

I'm assuming the office is near Avis etc. Does anyone have any feedback on renting a car recently from Hertz. I know there is more information already on this forum, but I am having trouble locating recent information.

Hertz is at the airport - here's a link to information for that location which indicates that they run a shuttle to the pier every 15-20 minutes. However, they also mention the Superferry, which stopped operating 5 years ago, so I'm not sure I would count on the information about the pier shuttle being accurate. Hopefully someone here can advise based on their experience. Or, if you have an international phone plan, or skype, give them a call.

We used Hertz at this location, but for an air arrival, last year. They were just OK with regards to customer service and the car (which had seen better days), but no major issues. I would recommend Avis, Alamo, Budget or Enterprise instead.

If you are open to using other major agencies, suggest checking rates on Discount Hawaii Car rental. Click on the link for Kahului, and beside each brand, you'll see shuttle information. When you click on "Brand _" it will take you to the rental agency's website, and include a discount code.

If you need to purchase insurance, you can find rates in the "More" link on the DHCR website. In that link, click on the "Brand _ Terms/Locations" -insurance fees are shown there.

We used Discount Hawaii Car Rental on our cruise 4 weeks ago. If you decide to book through them instead, click on the banner at the top of their website that says "Pier Pickup For Cruise Ship Arrival", click on your port of choice, and go from there. We used Thrifty (Brand C) and were very pleased with them. No need to call, they send the shuttles around, as noted in the previous post.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl
typo

Thanks for all your advice. The reason we're probably booking with Hertz is because the BF has decided he wants a Camaro Convertible -I'm envisaging me being windblown etc etc. Hertz and Budget seemed to be the only two options I found with a Camaro. The other's I looked at have Mustangs. Coming from Australia, Budget require us to have passports, another form of ID our flight details, itinerary details etc etc as well as a valid driver's licence. Personally I prefer to leave my passport on board and just use my driver's license as a form of ID. Hertz just require a valid driver's licence and a credit card. Plus budget didn't accept my CC details online. Some US sites don't as we have a different number of digits to the US one.

*I've read somewhere that you can take any rental shuttle from the port to the car rental offices as they're all in the same place. Is this correct? Last time in Maui (about 5 years ago) we rented from Avis without pre-booking, but we just got a small economy car-my choice. I can't remember if the Hertz office was there also.

*I've read somewhere that you can take any rental shuttle from the port to the car rental offices as they're all in the same place. Is this correct? Last time in Maui (about 5 years ago) we rented from Avis without pre-booking, but we just got a small economy car-my choice. I can't remember if the Hertz office was there also.

The rental car area is large enough that you could be walking for a while to find the agency that you want if you took just any shuttle. You can see where they are located on google maps ... click on the map view as it actually shows the name of each agency. Definitely don't take Enterprise's shuttle if you aren't renting from them as they aren't in the same location as the other agencies.

We've never given credit card information in advance ... I'm curious why you had to enter that when you tried to reserve with Budget?

The rental car area is large enough that you could be walking for a while to find the agency that you want if you took just any shuttle. You can see where they are located on google maps ... click on the map view as it actually shows the name of each agency. Definitely don't take Enterprise's shuttle if you aren't renting from them as they aren't in the same location as the other agencies.

We've never given credit card information in advance ... I'm curious why you had to enter that when you tried to reserve with Budget?

All the sites require CC details when booking online from Aus. They don't actually charge you until the day. It's their insurance against a no show.

Thanks for the info-I'll look the offices up on google maps. We have 7 days to cancel, after that you pay an administration fee to cancel. Different laws in different countries. We usually have to pay one nights accommodation in advance if booking a hotel too.

All the sites require CC details when booking online from Aus. They don't actually charge you until the day. It's their insurance against a no show.

Thanks for the info-I'll look the offices up on google maps. We have 7 days to cancel, after that you pay an administration fee to cancel. Different laws in different countries. We usually have to pay one nights accommodation in advance if booking a hotel too.

Hmmmm....we have had to put a credit card number on every car rental at time of booking we have ever done...and we have done a lot. Everywhere in the world...no big deal.

Hmmmm....we have had to put a credit card number on every car rental at time of booking we have ever done...and we have done a lot. Everywhere in the world...no big deal.

We don't provide CC info when booking cars in Canada or the U.S. ... maybe we did in Europe, but it's been a while since we've rented there. We're going to Costa Rica next week and the agency there didn't require CC info at the time of booking.

Discount Hawaii is an agent for about 5 major rental agencies in Hawaii ... they don't require CC info until you arrive at the rental counter. Same with booking through Costco, and also directly with the major agencies.