Quantum 2 Night Cruise Review

Here is a quick review of the Quantum 2 night cruise to nowhere on Nov. 21st. Previous to this I have cruised many, many times on different lines. This was my 7th time with Royal.

I live within a 45min - 1 hour drive of Cape Liberty. I drove and got to the port around 10:30. There was ample parking. The new terminal was very nice and embarkation took just under 12 minutes. While the agent was checking me in she did have some issues with her tablet. Thankfully it worked and we got right on. Other tablets kept freezing on the agents from what I could see.

Overall the ship is wonderful. I sailed on the Allure a few years back and in my opinion the Quantum has a more upmarket feel. I liked the Quantum a bit better. The things I thought would be "gimicky", such as the bumper cars, seaplex and 270 lounge I ended up enjoying. My favorite place was the 270 lounge. Wonderful views and ambiance.

Dynamic Dining is a double edged sword. I think in theory it is great. It was nice having different places to dine however the system has not worked out the kinks yet. Even though I had a reservation in American Icon and Silk I had to wait about 15-20 minutes. Dinner the first night in American Icon took over 3 hours and I didn't even stay for dessert! The servers were actually running around. I feel bad for them. I am optimistic Royal will work this all out.

I saw the show in 270.....the names escapes me already! It was a show involving video screens and elaborate costumes. The show was very nice, not sure I would see it again. I couldn't see Mama Mia as it conflicted with eating in one of the sit-down restaurants.

I stayed in cabin 9133, a virtual inside cabin. I really likes the new layout. Closet was not when you initially walk in. They are off to the side making the room seem more spacious. The TV is very large and I enjoyed the new room colors. It was good to see color in a cabin so many cabins look clinical. The virtual balcony is okay, most of the time it wasn't working. I could do without.

All in all the Quantum is a great ship and I applaud Royal for changing up the cruise experience. Currently she is going through some teething problems. I realize it is a new ship and a new class at that so I will give them a pass on the service and the dining issues. Honestly service wasn't all that great and the dynamic dining needs to be worked out. Also the technology is cool however it seems the tablet usage tends to slow things down. Also note the wrist band they give in your room you can't check yourself off the ship with them. When I left this morning I left my sea pass card in the room thinking I could use the band. When I checked out I could not so I had to get my passport out and wait a little.

Great ship, while I believe I am Royal's target audience "millennial", I find the whole reserving shows and dining a bit cumbersome. But it is a necessary evil with so many people and activities. I prefer bit more of a traditional approach. Felt like the cruise is too on the clock, very similar to when I sailed Allure.

Once things get ironed out I will return to the Quantum class.

I will try and upload some pics later.

Edited by nycruiser80