Weather White Pass / Carcross / Emerald Lake

cgdev1

We are taking a bus tour from Skagway to Emerald Lake. What kind of weather might we encounter (late June)? I have a weather app but not sure what location to use (Carcross gives 3 options). I know layers are best but I'm trying decide what weight jacket to bring for the day. This is for next week.

Thanks

Expect the weather to change rapidly! We started out with heavy rain (early June) and low clouds. It cleared up and was pleasant in the sunlight in late morning to early afternoon, but the occasional shower or blast of chilly wind and clouds rolled over on and off.

On the train (I did train up to Fraser, then bus from Fraser to Carcross/Emerald Lake and bus on the ride back) it was very cold on the open air platforms while taking pictures, but the bus was pleasantly warm, so I only needed a light jacket on photo stops. I had a pair of gloves stuffed into the pockets, but only ever wore them out on the platforms when the train was in motion.

Then it poured rain on us again from about midway through White Pass all the way back into Skagway, and rained on and off for the rest of the day in Skagway.

Even when the weather was at its worst (raining hard and blowing my umbrella around in Skagway) the scenery was still beautiful and it was a marvelous, fun day.

you don't need to pack multiple coats for your trip to Alaska ! just one waterproof jacket, preferably with a hood.

In your daypack, have a sweatshirt or fleece to wear in case it gets colder during the day. Of if it warms up you can store the sweatshirt in your pack.

I have a weather app but not sure what location to use (Carcross gives 3 options).

Try this: Carcross, YT, Y0B 1B0, Canada

https://goo.gl/maps/pc1pyK36Bvz

We were there a couple weeks ago, taking train up from Skagway. Light jackets were fine, a little cooler than down in Skagway. I imagine the weather can change a fair bit, so best to be prepared for a bit of variation.

I also suggest, don't bother bringing multiple jackets. I use sweatshirt jackets with a lightweight lined jacket that is "big" and longer. You will likely need to add/subtract during the day.

There is NO point in trying to "look up" weather predictions- they are notoriously worthless. I've done the trip numerous times (a few years ago 6 times that season), wide range of weather. Probably have had 25 degrees of change.

Take a walk, outside on the ship, from a top open deck and see what the weather is in Skagway. You want "open" and less telling from a balcony etc.

Most people on the bus and train trips are outside only a small fraction of the overall time. 10 minutes after a photo stop, their reloaded. Some drivers of rentals, don't stop at all. So, you don't need to bring more than what is already recommended.

Thank you for your replies!

Regarding my jacket(s), I was thinking of bringing my North Face jacket which I brought on my last AK cruise - mostly envision needing it on glacier days (Hubbard and GB) and potentially whale watching in Juneau. Though it only has a thin lining, the stiffer shell helps against the wind and rain. I froze while standing out on the deck at Tracy Arm, but it was Sept and I was out there for several hours (though it was mostly my feet and face that were cold). Was also considering a longer-length lined windbreaker. Both have hoods. Should I ditch one of them?

Edited by cgdev1

Thank you for your replies!

Regarding my jacket(s), I was thinking of bringing my North Face jacket which I brought on my last AK cruise - mostly envision needing it on glacier days (Hubbard and GB) and potentially whale watching in Juneau. Though it only has a thin lining, the stiffer shell helps against the wind and rain. I froze while standing out on the deck at Tracy Arm, but it was Sept and I was out there for several hours (though it was mostly my feet and face that were cold). Was also considering a longer-length lined windbreaker. Both have hoods. Should I ditch one of them?

Yes, ditch one, and use a sweatshirt, heavier socks, warmer pants etc (I've been known to wear 2 pair.

It can be that cold any time during the season and likely you will use everything you bring- but you don't need duplicates.

Yes, ditch one, and use a sweatshirt, heavier socks, warmer pants etc (I've been known to wear 2 pair.

It can be that cold any time during the season and likely you will use everything you bring- but you don't need duplicates.

Thank you