Antibes - Aqueducts

Venusian

There are ruins of Roman Aquaducts scattered around parts of Southern France...including some very ruined sections near Antibes. But, if you want to focus on Aquaducts, the place to go is Pont du Gard....which can be done on a long day trip from Marseille or Toulon.

Hank

Are there multiple places to see Roman aqueducts in Antibes? I see one that pulls up on google maps. I see lots of pics on wikipedia though. Every time I search for it, I just get French results :(

What remains of the aqueduct that served the old Roman town of Antipolis (Antibes) is near the town of Vallauris, not in Antibes. There are a few fragments here and there, but not well marked or easily accessible.

Vallauris is also known for its potteries. Picasso lived there for a while and created many of his pottery in that town. It is inland from the shore and half way between Cannes and Antibes.

There are also a few fragments near Biot. Another nice village north of Antibes. The restaurant Les Arcades makes a wonderful aioli. There is a great art glass factory there, La Verrerie de Biot.

IMO, not worth spending your time looking for the aqueduct The Pont du Gard is the place to go.

I also recommend the Pont du Gard, and if you make it there I also suggest going to nearby Barbegal to see the fantastic Roman water mill there -- so far as I know it's the only one like it that has survived and it totally changed what people thought about Roman industry (e.g., it was on a much larger scale than previously believed). At Barbegal there are also some not-too-ruined stretches of the aqueduct that you can walk along/beside/on.

In Nimes, you can also see the spectacular (although somewhat reconstructed) castellum where the water from the aqueduct came into the city and was then channeled to various areas of distribution.

Yes -- I'm a true Roman history nerd. :D

Here's some good description on these areas and the Roman water features that can be seen: http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/nimes/

I also recommend the Pont du Gard, and if you make it there I also suggest going to nearby Barbegal to see the fantastic Roman water mill there -- so far as I know it's the only one like it that has survived and it totally changed what people thought about Roman industry (e.g., it was on a much larger scale than previously believed). At Barbegal there are also some not-too-ruined stretches of the aqueduct that you can walk along/beside/on.

In Nimes, you can also see the spectacular (although somewhat reconstructed) castellum where the water from the aqueduct came into the city and was then channeled to various areas of distribution.

Here's some good description on these areas and the Roman water features that can be seen: http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/nimes/

And you should not forget the ruins (Glanum) located just outside St Remy. We never bothered with these ruins until we rented an apartment in St Remy. But when we finally drove out to those ruins.. they exceeded our minimal expectations.

But we do apologize for moving away from the original question of Aqueducts. Interesting that all of us who know the region mention the same place, "Pont du Gard." We have actually visited that place 3 times (twice,....we just happened to be in the area and had a car) and are always in awe of engineering skills used by the Romans.

Hank

You are the best, cruisemom!

No idea about Barbegal. The description and reconstruction picture are astonishing.

Like the author of that article, I am also a great fan of the Michelin Green Guides for traveling.

And you should not forget the ruins (Glanum) located just outside St Remy. We never bothered with these ruins until we rented an apartment in St Remy. But when we finally drove out to those ruins.. they exceeded our minimal expectations.

But we do apologize for moving away from the original question of Aqueducts. Interesting that all of us who know the region mention the same place, "Pont du Gard." We have actually visited that place 3 times (twice,....we just happened to be in the area and had a car) and are always in awe of engineering skills used by the Romans.

Hank

I very much enjoyed Glanum also. Just the type of site I like (not overly 'restored'....) ;)

After an hour or two, the rest of my party went on to the mental hospital where Van Gogh stayed -- which is next door to this site. I stayed at Glanum and thoroughly explored it on my own. I wouldn't say it was completely empty, but it certainly wasn't crowded.

I very much enjoyed Glanum also. Just the type of site I like (not overly 'restored'....) ;)

After an hour or two, the rest of my party went on to the mental hospital where Van Gogh stayed -- which is next door to this site. I stayed at Glanum and thoroughly explored it on my own. I wouldn't say it was completely empty, but it certainly wasn't crowded.

We find it interesting that many cruise lines sell an excursion which includes visits to both St Remy and Les Baux. The bus route would take the right past Glanum (or nearby) but very few cruise line excursions simply choose to skip the ruins in favor of other things. I have never been a fan of cruise line excursions (I get in trouble for calling them cattle drives) and this is just part of the reason.

Hank

We find it interesting that many cruise lines sell an excursion which includes visits to both St Remy and Les Baux. The bus route would take the right past Glanum (or nearby) but very few cruise line excursions simply choose to skip the ruins in favor of other things. I have never been a fan of cruise line excursions (I get in trouble for calling them cattle drives) and this is just part of the reason.

Hank

The ruins are right across the road from St Paul de Mausole, the mental institution where Van Gogh was interned. They probably feel that most tourists would be interested in the more "human interest" story and intact building than wandering around Roman ruins which would require more interpretation. And, of course, time is required for more shopping time in St Remy!

Hank

The more I've traveled, the more I think that's not a bad thing. Leave the undiscovered sites (relatively) free of the big busloads of tourists, lol. ;)

I remember when places like Herculaneum (near Naples) and Priene (near Kusadasi) were almost unknown....

• 2 weeks later...
The more I've traveled, the more I think that's not a bad thing. Leave the undiscovered sites (relatively) free of the big busloads of tourists, lol. ;)

I remember when places like Herculaneum (near Naples) and Priene (near Kusadasi) were almost unknown....

Yeah, we hear ya :). About 15 years ago DW and I rented a car in Kusadasi and drove to Milletius, Prius and Didyma (all extensive ruins). 2 of those places did not even have fences, were basically empty of tourists (and anyone else) and were quite fantastic. About 3 years ago we decided to repeat the experience and found fences, admission fees, bus tours, etc. It was just not the same :(. We are still somewhat puzzled how Glanum (just outside St Remy de Provence) is usually empty...but we sure hope it stays that way. And then there is Ostia Antica....only a quick 10-15 min ride from FCO...and largely undiscovered by cruisers and most tourists. These folks will go out of their way to visit Pompeii.....but have no interest in even more extensive ruins sitting close to a major airport. Go figure.

Hank