Scuba Diving in St. Maarten?

faithmp5

My husband and I are going on a cruise in May and it will be our 3rd time in St. Maarten. Neither one of us have ever been scuba diving before and were curious if St. Maarten is a good place to scuba dive and if so is there a company you recommend doing it through?

I think we would prefer to do a scuba experience where you walk into the water from the beach but are open to ones off of a boat if necessary or better.

Thanks for your help.

If you are not certified divers you would do a Discover Scuba dive. You will get some simple instruction on how to use the equipment and how to do the dive. Then an Instructor or Divemaster will take you out and do simple shallow dive under their supervision.

If you want to do an regular scuba dive you would need to get certified first. This generally involves 2 days of class room and 2 days of confined water dive classes, it often is done in one weekend. Then you have to do 4 or 5 open water dives, generally done over 2 days, to get certified. You can do the class room and confined water portions at home and then do the open water portions at home if you live where it is warm year round or you can do them in 2 ports on the cruise if you live in a cold climate area. Doing them on the cruise will take most of the day in port.

I did my open water certification dives while on a cruise 9 years ago and now I dive in one or two ports on each cruise.

I Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app