Mayan Ruins in all ports - which one is best?

PuraVida2011

Sailing on the Carnival Dream in October to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. They all offer tours to Myan Ruins. Is there a must see that stands out? Tulum looks nice with its location overlooking the Caribbean Sea and time for a quick swim. From what I've read, it's a long hot 7 hour tour. We're either snorkeling or cave tubing in Belize, so that leaves Roatan or Costa Maya.

Thanks for your help!

:D

Better chance of a variety of answers if you also post this on individual ports of call board for these ports but I will leave here as well as some may wander by with an answer...

That being said if you are docking at Costa Maya it shouldn't be as grueling a tour to Tulum as from Cozumel when you have ferry over to mainland and back to deal with. Tulum is gorgeous setting on bluffs over the sea, not as much jungle (I hate snakes:() and Xel Ha for swimming etc. is often included in that tour..

Wasn't aware of ruins in Roatan (Honduras).. or are these on mainland?

Sailing on the Carnival Dream in October to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. They all offer tours to Myan Ruins. Is there a must see that stands out? Tulum looks nice with its location overlooking the Caribbean Sea and time for a quick swim. From what I've read, it's a long hot 7 hour tour. We're either snorkeling or cave tubing in Belize, so that leaves Roatan or Costa Maya.

Thanks for your help!

:D

in Coz...TULUM...even with that fast bumpy ferry ride it was worth it (with a ships tour tho the only way to go as to much can happen and it is an extremely LONG day...but WORTH IT!!

in Belize there are the Altun Ha ruins...very ENJOYABLE able to climb one and then there is Lamani in the jungle type setting...boat ride involved another long day--can climb on the ruins there.

oh i see you are snorkling there well just in case

Costa Maya has some too but our ship didnt offer anything that we were interested in

i didnt know of any in Roatan, hadnt ever heard of them there.

my favs in order

TULUM

ALTUN HA

LAMANI

Edited by STARFISH*4

• 2 weeks later...

Although getting to Tulum from Cozumel is a bit of a production, it is VERY worth it ! The location is idyllic, with the ruins set up on a bluff overlooking the most impossibly blue water I have ever seen. Had a chance to swim and relax on the sand for a bit before heading back .... I will never forget it :p It's my "Happy Place" ... You won't regret going - And the ruins make fantastic photos (my screensaver, in fact !!) Happy planning ... I am sure you will have a blast no matter what you decide :). Jackie

• 1 month later...

We did Lamanai in Belize. Yes, it's a long day but the boat ride is really neat, you see animals, birds, plants. The ruins are remote and in the jungle. We saw lots of monkeys and you can climb two of the ruins when we went. One was really tall. Lunch there was prepared by local women. I have pictures here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118362689482.2019007.1539467410&l=d3a9f0220a&type=1

We also went to one in Costa Maya, Kohunlich. Another long day by bus but we had a small amount of time for shopping at the port. We saw one monkey here. Interesting site with huge reddish face masks but Lamani was much better. photos here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1118331608705.2019000.1539467410&l=a095d1bf4f&type=1

There are ruins on Cozumel but are much smaller than the popular ones like Tulum, really not comparable, but if you didn't do Tulum that one would only take a couple hours.

I love the Mayan ruins. Have fun!

Edited by Roswell_IcePrincess

• 3 years later...

I'm wondering If any ruins tours are suitable for one who can only walk a few hundred feet or a bit longer with numerous rest stops? This may not be the best place to ask but I've been searching these boards for days. Person is in good health, just walks distances in 100 ft bursts do to leg and hip pain. Thanks for any info.

I'm wondering If any ruins tours are suitable for one who can only walk a few hundred feet or a bit longer with numerous rest stops? This may not be the best place to ask but I've been searching these boards for days. Person is in good health, just walks distances in 100 ft bursts do to leg and hip pain. Thanks for any info.

My wife has problems similar to those you describe. We have seen several Mayan Ruins in different ports. I think the one that was easiest for her was Chichen Itza because it is on a site that is mostly level ground.

We have seen Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Kohunlich, Lamanai, and Tulum. They are all day tours with long bus rides to and from the port where the ship docks. They all involve a lot of walking and some climbing except for Chichen Itza.

I hope this helps. You might also like to take a look at the slide shows my wife made with pictures she took. The links below will take you to her website. Maybe seeing pictures will help you make a decision.