Advice Please

go noles

First time in Tortola on Tue 4/29 on board Celebrity Summit. We are there from 7AM to 2PM. Maasdam arrives an hour after we do. With such an early departure time should I use the ship excursion for the Baths? The tour is scheduled to depart at 8:30 AM. What say you all?

I'm on that same cruise! I've been to the Baths on our last trip to Tortola, and the only way I'd go would be through the cruiseline's tour. I don't think there's enough time in port that day to ensure you're able to do it on your own without any issues. I loved the Baths! Absolutely worth a trip!

First time in Tortola on Tue 4/29 on board Celebrity Summit. We are there from 7AM to 2PM. Maasdam arrives an hour after we do. With such an early departure time should I use the ship excursion for the Baths? The tour is scheduled to depart at 8:30 AM. What say you all?

We would always choose to go on our own if there was an opportunity, as you may be able to grab a taxi at the ferry dock on VG and beat the crowd to the Baths for a bit. That's definitely worth it. And it's very easy, a short walk to the ferry terminal from the ship and you're on your way.

Speedy's has a 7:45AM departure, that would get you to VG over an hour before the excursion leaving on the 8:50AM ferry.

They have a 12:40PM return which will get you back at 1:10PM, plenty of time.

Smith's has the 8:50AM ferry that the rest of the crowd will take, and they have a 1PM return. Sometimes you can get more time on VG by using Speedy's one way and Smith's the other, but in your case it's only 20 minutes and not worth the extra $10pp.

So consider the Speedy's option to give you some quieter time at the Baths before the excursion arrives, then you can head to the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft Cafe to enjoy a lunch and drinks with the spectacular view while everyone else is at the Baths! ;)

http://www.bviferries.com/schedules.html?wkday=3

http://www.bviferryservices.com/tortola.php

EDIT - You will see others on the Speedy's ferry who have done this before so no worries, you'll be very happy you went on your own. Just hook up with a taxi driver at the dock on VG, and they will also return to pick you up and drop you somewhere else, very easy to work with and very reasonable.

Edited by blue_water