Its All Over The News In Hawaii

ssindy

today in the Honolulu Advertiser ithere was a big artical on the front page of the Business section about NCLA is refunding $35 per person for the service fee.

Also, on KITV 4 news there was a follow up about the service and cleanliness issues and also phone calls from actual passengers while on the cruise about these issues! please visit www.thehawaiichannel.com for more details.

In fact a couple left the cruise early because of all the service and cleanliness problems!

today in the Honolulu Advertiser ithere was a big artical on the front page of the Business section about NCLA is refunding $35 per person for the service fee.

Also, on KITV 4 news there was a follow up about the service and cleanliness issues and also phone calls from actual passengers while on the cruise about these issues! please visit www.thehawaiichannel.com for more details.

In fact a couple left the cruise early because of all the service and cleanliness problems!

I sent the HawaiiChannel link to my local newspaper here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada to let them know and to see if they will run the story. It is one thing to write messages to each other on CC, but that is preaching to the converted. The people out there who have spent money and are unaware of the problems will be blindsided by the situation.

Mooseman John

We were on the 8/15 POA cuire. With the exception ofthe slow cleaning of dishes at the buffet and sometimes the pool area, the ship was not dirty.

OF course, that does not mean I saw all of the ship areas but what we did observe was as clean as any of the other ships we have been on.

As I've said before, the ONLY way NCL is going to fix this mess is if the media gets the word out to the public. I said this back in February and people told me that this would do no good, that the media wasn't interested in this story. Well, having been in the media for 29 years, I can tell you that we love stories with "outrage." Now the story will get beyond Hawaii. Local television stations always take their top stories and send them out nationally for others to pick up. That's what KITV 4 News is going to do.

Also, you will notice that when questioned, NCL would not elaborate on the problems and had nothing to say about what they planned to do to fix them. It certainly is a different story when you have real reporters asking you questions, as opposed to cruise line talking heads giving a PR speel to a cruise pubiication puppet.

The media firestorm is just beginning. And I'm going to do everything in my power to help it happen. Fortunately, I have the power of the truth in my corner. The facts are out there and obvious, and even though I was suckered and will never see a dime of my money back, I feel I owe it to future potential suckers to warn them about this over-priced, second-rate cruise experience.

Hi Mooseman - I also live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and am sailing on the POA on October 31st. I will be watching the local media -hope you are successful in getting them to run a story. Now NCL is offering refunds of the cruise portion for anyone sailing in the next 30 days, maybe this will get everyone's attention!

As I've said before, the ONLY way NCL is going to fix this mess is if the media gets the word out to the public.

The media firestorm is just beginning. And I'm going to do everything in my power to help it happen. Fortunately, I have the power of the truth in my corner. The facts are out there and obvious, and even though I was suckered and will never see a dime of my money back, I feel I owe it to future potential suckers to warn them about this over-priced, second-rate cruise experience.

Dalwhitt.... good comments..... It still amazes me that we have a special group of C.C. members that find no value in continuing to work to help NCL solve the problems of the POA.... We need to contact ncl if we have any concerns or problems with this ship.... NCL is now offering a telephone number for us to use to contact them with our concerns...

Dial 1-888-NCL-HAWII to contact ncl with your concerns or problems with the POA.... This number should be used for present, past and future passengers of the poa....

Calling them and talking may result in some pleasing and soothing words in return; the reality is that the situation has to improve. The NCL phone centre workers cannot do anything about the situation - it has to come from higher up. I feel sorry for the phone operators who must be taking the brunt of the complaints. Will we hear from the NCL top brass?

Mooseman John

Dalwhitt.... good comments..... It still amazes me that we have a special group of C.C. members that find no value in continuing to work to help NCL solve the problems of the POA.... We need to contact ncl if we have any concerns or problems with this ship.... NCL is now offering a telephone number for us to use to contact them with our concerns...

Dial 1-888-NCL-HAWII to contact ncl with your concerns or problems with the POA.... This number should be used for present, past and future passengers of the poa....

Hi June Pay:

I live in Burlington actually, but you guys have a better newspaper than we do. You can contact me direct at Jan05POA@hotmail.com if you want to compare notes.

Mooseman John

Hi Mooseman - I also live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and am sailing on the POA on October 31st. I will be watching the local media -hope you are successful in getting them to run a story. Now NCL is offering refunds of the cruise portion for anyone sailing in the next 30 days, maybe this will get everyone's attention!

I am from Richmond Hill, ON, not far from Burlington where Mr Mooseman is from. We are going on POA on Oct 24, 2004, and have been wondering about a refund and do land package instead.

I agree if we get the media's attention, both here and in the US, it would be more effective than complaining to PR @ NCLA. I am beginning to wonder if they should rename this ship Shame of Aloha instead !? At least, we who are paying for "this over-priced, second-rate cruise experience" (as dalwhitt puts it) are entitled to name it that way, since we don't take much pride in spending our hard earned $ to wait till NCLA fix the problems some time in the future. Bad publicity outside of our CC circle hopefully brings more action than a token $35 refund! Otherwise, massive cancellation and refund would be an alternative action on our part. Shame or Pride - you decide!

Just fired off an E-mail to USA Today with links to Cruise Critic and another board for reviews, as well as the link to the Honolulu television station. My next stop is ABC News, and then I will go from there. I encourage everyone to send E-mails or letters to your local newspaper and television stations, especially in major markets or cities with cruise ports. If we stick together we can force NCL to speed up that secret plan they have to fix this mess. This isn't about putting NCL out of business. My only concern at this point is those who have yet to sail on POA and will be blindsided when they board.

Nice to see the Canadians speak up for once instead of timidly accepting status quo.

I don't have a lot of money, but I do like to do nice things, and travelling is one that I am gradually getting to do more of as my working life slows a bit. The cost of this trip, c. $2300$CA, is not a lot when you consider that it is Hawai'i we are going to see. However, it is a lot of money to me and represents most of my holiday money for next year, unless the tooth fairy gets generous, or lightning strikes (read lottery here).

Let's keep up the pressure. I am not ordinarily a critical person, but this hits close to home.

I am from Richmond Hill, ON, not far from Burlington where Mr Mooseman is from. We are going on POA on Oct 24, 2004, and have been wondering about a refund and do land package instead.

I agree if we get the media's attention, both here and in the US, it would be more effective than complaining to PR @ NCLA. I am beginning to wonder if they should rename this ship Shame of Aloha instead !? At least, we who are paying for "this over-priced, second-rate cruise experience" (as dalwhitt puts it) are entitled to name it that way, since we don't take much pride in spending our hard earned $ to wait till NCLA fix the problems some time in the future. Bad publicity outside of our CC circle hopefully brings more action than a token $35 refund! Otherwise, massive cancellation and refund would be an alternative action on our part. Shame or Pride - you decide!

Same lame $35 refund and the 20% future considerations. How about offering a 20% incentive to keep us future people interested? That would be a real fine gesture!! Now picture me blue in the face from holding my breath.......

Posted 6 hours ago in USA today... Probably not your doing.. but a funny coincidence

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-08-26-cruise-refund_x.htm

Wonder what those stats (75% booked) will look like 30 days from now if this doesn't get resolved.

from the Seattle times article

"The Ship is fully booked through september and 75% booked though the end of the year"

Guess a lot of people don't use cruise critic? ;)

YES! I'm glad that the reality is now sedtting in on the ship in and everyone is getting the real picture. When its all over the news then it must be kinda accurate! I smell another US Flag ship going out of business!

I talked with NCL yesterday and that was his first question.... If you are sailing in the next 30 days.... ncl will give you a full refund with no penalties..... But you need to call to verify this offer...

Call 1-888-NCL-HAWAII

This is what ncl wants - the present, pass and future paid passengers of the POA to do if they have concerns....

I was transferred to customers relations and they are taking down complaints or problems and working off a list of these problems, etc... Everything that I mentioned was already on their list and being worked on by ncl (not ncla) management on board the poa...

If you are sailing say in 60 days they will advise you to check back at 30 days to see if the offer will include your cruise..... If ncl does not continue to received the complaints, etc then they will back off the offer and assume that everyone is happy...

You need to call to find out for your specific dates... Refunds are being offerred to cruisers of the poa prior to this week....

YES! I'm glad that the reality is now sedtting in on the ship in and everyone is getting the real picture. When its all over the news then it must be kinda accurate! I smell another US Flag ship going out of business!

No one that I know would want ncl to fold on this Hawaiian adventure known as NCLA with the POA.... I believe that improvements are being made but just very slow..... In 3 months everything will be up to standards running smoothly... But it will not happen if we continue to look the other way....

Let NCL know how you feel and encourage them to upgrade the ship, the food and the service....

This Hawaiian project for ncl is a great finanical boom to Hawaii... NCLA needs to be a success....

the financial gain for Hawaii is great. but, the way that they treat their crew and management style got to go. its not worth it for Hawaii to have a failing cruise ship industry. remember i worked on the ship and i know what went on there. i have soooooo much to add that you folks don't know about yet! if i post it all the threads will get shut down!

Archived