Time of year suggestion

deckedout

So, a little background.

Hubby and I have been on 7 cruises, always during our school spring break, late March to early April. Due to two sons going overseas to war, we have not cruise for the past few seasons. This year, since both boys are safely home, thank God, we wanted to cruise again. However, just as I was ready to book, my daughter informed me that our second grandchild is due during spring break. Again, this is excellent news, but both Hubby and I were really looking forward to a cruise.

So, I'm trying to figure out when the best time to go would be. I want to avoid Christmas break, due to the increase fares, but the last two weeks in January are "short weeks" and President's Day weekend creates two short weeks there. Since I have never cruised this time of year, I'm looking for the best time with the best temperatures, we like it nice and warm. Coming from the Pacific Northwest and looking at the Caribbean.

Thoughts?

Do you want to cruise on a short week to save vacation time? Not sure if that us what you are saying

Anyway my vote is avoid those 2 weeks!!! Especially presidents week as that is called mid winter break in many school districts.

I suggest the first week of february

As airfares will not be jacked up due to school vacations and college spring breaks have not started

Ships will not have max capacity per cabin thus a fully sold out ship but less crowding

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

A bit confused over what you are asking. Were you planning to cruise during "spring break" next year?

I would encourage going during none vacation weeks. You can somewhat figure this out via the pricing website(s). Cheaper weeks mean they have less demand.

Any week will still have a nice weather in the Caribbean.

I've cruised in October, November, December, January, February, March and April in the Caribbean. Always had beautiful warm weather with calm to fairly clam seas. Any of these months will be good for cruising and will take you away from the winter weather.

While you may see more children on cruises between February and April it can vary. School breaks are not consistent through the US and "spring break" does vary.

We always cruise in February and take at least 10 day cruises. We did one cruise during Spring Break season. Never again. I use a rollator walker and was afraid of getting knocked down. I loved the kids mind you. It was the drunk college students that concerned me. And oh, enjoy your new grand child!!!!:D

We always cruise in February and take at least 10 day cruises. We did one cruise during Spring Break season. Never again. I use a rollator walker and was afraid of getting knocked down. I loved the kids mind you. It was the drunk college students that concerned me. And oh, enjoy your new grand child!!!!:D

The 10 day cruise almost eliminates kids being on the cruise. There will be some, but not many. Most families with kids can not afford the time, money, or patience to do more than the 7 day cruise.

We enjoy cruising the week or two after Thanksgiving. The prices are some of the lowest of the year, very few families as the kids have returned to school after the break, great Caribbean weather of 78-82 degrees and the threat of tropical storms is nearly gone. Living in the Midwest, we also like to escape the cold of the winter season and while this temperature isn't hot it certainly is perfect for us to soak in the sun and enjoy the water. Our primary concern is flying that time of year, but we arrive one to two days before embarkation and take in a few sights of our port city and have a short vacation before the vacation!

A great big WELCOME HOME to your sons! We thank you for their service to our country!!! We are celebrating our oldest son's last year of college and ROTC on a family cruise on the Jewel this Thanksgiving week. This time next year, he will be an officer in the Army and we are thankful for his college/cadet accomplishments.

Have fun researching and planning your upcoming cruise.:)

I have cruised during the last couple weeks of January & the weather was wonderful! I found that there where very few families w/children.

Perfect timing.

Just an FYI. Avoid MLK week. Especially if out of NYC.

Apparantly some private schools in NYC take a break the entire week and the 7 day out of NYC are mobbed by families with loads of kids that traditionally cruise that week. Or so it has been reported here on cc.

I have read mdr is a mess as well that week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also agree with you on those weeks. I have sailed a few time the first couple weeks of December & it was very nice & relaxing. As I mentioned before, I found that the end of January is also nice. The younger kids are back to school or the college age one are just getting ready to go back.

My DD and I usually go the first week of Dec, that gives you time when you get home to do last minute Christmas things. I did find that the water and land temps in the Western are great...nice and warm but not hot and humid...Last year we did the Eastern and found the water a little colder. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, I am trying to minimize the number of days I'm gone, especially since a new grandbaby means I will be babysitting for a few days and probably miss a bit of work there! End of January looks like it might work. I would love to do the beginning of December, but I just don't think that would work with the schedule.