Fosters vs. Bananarama

cincychad

I'm on the Getaway next week with a stop in Roatan with my wife and three-year old. Want to spend the day at a beach resort and I'll likely do some snorkeling. Anyone been to both Fosters and Bananarama? Is West Bay the best area for off-the-beach snorkeling?

West Bay or West End are both good for shore snorkeling.

Look up Beachers as well. Beachers and Bananarama both offer day packages which include transportation, which makes them a good deal. Not sure if the same is available at Fosters. But DW and SIL were on a private tour a couple of years back and they stopped at Fosters for lunch and were "mobbed" and pestered by hawkers trying to sell them their wares.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 2 weeks later...

I would chose Bananarama over Fosters. I've actually stayed with Bananarama while visiting Roatan in October 105. Their food is better and the service is great. I've visited the beach with Fosters before. The food was good but the snorkeling near Fosters is not as good as Bananarama. It's a short walk from Bananarama to the best snorkeling on the beach. Fosters is on the opposite side of the beach. No matter where you stay if you see the older gentleman selling Banana Donuts make sure you try them!! They are fabulous!

Another option between Bananarama and Infinity is Paradise Beach. We were there last month and loved it. We did it as part of our Bodden tour for $10pp. Very short walk (2-3 minutes tops) down to Infinity Bay where it was the best shore snorkeling I have ever done. Amazing amount of coral and sea life.

• 2 weeks later...
Was this Bodden tour with a personal guide or one of the organized tours?

It was a private "Best of Roatan" tour. We had 4 people so it was $25 p/p.

Then we had additional $5 each for the monkeys, and $10 each for the beach.

So a total of $40 each for the private tour vs. $30 each for a group tour. The one on one attention and going at our own pace instead of waiting on others is well worth it to me.

I wouldn't think you need to book ahead but you could mention it in an email to Bowden and ask them about it. The monkeys were wonderful. My kids loved it. There were also parrots, deer and a few other animals too. They were very gentle and easy to hold for pictures.

Just got back from Roatan via the Carnival Breeze. We used Rony Tours again and went to West Bay Beach, West End Village, did the monkey thing for the kids, and toured the driver's neighborhood. We went to Bananarama for the $10 extra charge - great time there. A little bit of a walk down to the kidney for snorkeling but it was great.