Miami - Friday Traffic?

foxyG

Not sure if we are doing the right thing - any advice would be welcome.

We disembark the Jewel of the Seas on Friday 20 Feb and have a flight back to London leaving MIA at 5.10pm. We already have transfers included from POM to MIA with our package, but I really don't want to spend 7+ hours at the airport.

My plan was to hire a car at POM (got a deal for $30 with Hertz) and maybe do a little sight seeing for a few hours before heading to the airport. Even if we just head to a shopping mall at least it gives us somewhere to store the luggage :D

I've read on TripAdvisor that the traffic on a Friday afternoon around Miami is pretty horrendous, so my main worries are:

How long will it take to get to the airport from downtown?

Is there a shopping mall / tourist type area that is relatively close to the airport?

Anyone know the drop off arrangements for Hertz at MIA? Do you head for the airport or do you have to return the car to the depot at NW 21st street and use the Hertz shuttle to the airport?

Thanks, in advance

Traffic around the airport can be horrendous any time of the day during the week. The drop-off for Hertz is off the airport property on NW 21st Street. The $30 deal from Hertz is going to translate to $50 after fees and taxes, you may want to consider just taking a cab to the local mall.

/////

Not sure if we are doing the right thing - any advice would be welcome.

We disembark the Jewel of the Seas on Friday 20 Feb and have a flight back to London leaving MIA at 5.10pm. We already have transfers included from POM to MIA with our package, but I really don't want to spend 7+ hours at the airport.

My plan was to hire a car at POM (got a deal for $30 with Hertz) and maybe do a little sight seeing for a few hours before heading to the airport. Even if we just head to a shopping mall at least it gives us somewhere to store the luggage :D

I've read on TripAdvisor that the traffic on a Friday afternoon around Miami is pretty horrendous, so my main worries are:

How long will it take to get to the airport from downtown?

Is there a shopping mall / tourist type area that is relatively close to the airport?

Anyone know the drop off arrangements for Hertz at MIA? Do you head for the airport or do you have to return the car to the depot at NW 21st street and use the Hertz shuttle to the airport?

Thanks, in advance

Try and stay off I-95.

Agree with Ang, totally. Keep in mind that in the hosptial district staff is out between 3-5 and that can really clog it up on 836 and the surrounding area. Fridays are pretty bad, actually any day in Miami is bad! And the miami airport rental areas to me is one big spaghetti bowl.

I've flown to London from MIA before and I advise a THREE hour check in time prior to. The international terminal and customs etc can be confusing there.

Even getting off the ship time is unpredictable in the morning.

If it were me I'd skip the car rental, take a cab to south beach for late breakfast/brunch or whatever or maybe over to International or Dolphin Mall and be at the airport by 2 at the latest.

Menina

I've done the drive from downtown Miami to MIA and the longest it ever took me was about an hour with terrible traffic. That was at the peak of rush hour, between 4PM and 5PM. I've done it earlier in the day in 20 minutes. Miami traffic is unpredictable.

Thanks for all the great advice guys / gals!

Using a taxi could be a problem as we will have about 4 pieces of luggage. Don't fancy carting those cases around for a few hours :D

I'm leaning towards heading straight towards Dolphin Mall, having a little shopping time and lunch.. then getting across to the Hertz depot at NW 21st Street for no later than 1.30pm. Does this sound sensible?

Archived