WHY Indian Food ?

block

Pity, Lynn--DW in her pre-vegetarian days made a marinated lamb roast and marinated lamb kebabs that were exquisite. Not saying you would definitely change your mind, but if you didn't like them, you definitely were not a fan of lamb in ANY form. But I wouldn't have forced them on you in any case. It would take a bloody miracle for me to eat beef liver in almost any form. And yes, I have tried it several times, all with poor results. Pork liver I can take if it's in Liverwurst or liver sausage. So yes, one's tastebuds are one's own provenance and own territory.

Here's to finding new and enjoyable tastes as we progress through life.

I've told people I can't eat lamb and people have said "Oh, do you feel sorry for the little baby lamb?". I've said, "No, I can gobble up that little baby cow in the shape of a veal chop with no problem at all". There is just something in lamb that turns my stomach. That and liver are about the only foods I just can't eat.

I also cannot eat lamb. It is a very rich tasting meat. I also have a problem with beef, and did not eat it for over two years, but am gradually accepting it back into my diet (small amounts)because of an iron deficiency among other reasons. I toyed with vegetarianism but that is not for me either.

The very reason I first started eating Indian food was because a friend who is vegetarian introduced me to it, knowing that I had a bit of a problem with some meat. I am so glad.

I appreciate that we all have different tastes when it comes to food, but those who say that Indian food, or whatever kind of food is bad, yet they have not tried it, or took one bite and vowed to hate it for all time, do not have a valid complaint. Try it and if at first you think you don't like it, maybe try a different dish. A less spicy one, or one with or without meat etc. Don't just write off an entire culture's cuisine because you had one bad bite of food, or it smelled different from what you are used to.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the really fun things about travel, I believe, is to explore new places and new things. I've tried types of food on a cruise ship that I've never had before--such as lobster (not into seafood). At least to me, exploration is what travel is all about.

I'm sorry you feel that way about Indian food but I'm thrilled it's a staple on cruises because I happen to love it.

Everyone's taste is different and one of the great things about cruising is that there's choice! - Musing About Cruising

I can't resist mentioning, I used to dislike Indian food too. For years and years I'd try it once a year at most, with friends or whatever, but never enjoyed it, so I quit trying. A couple of years ago, I tried a Samosa...and thought it pretty tasty, yet continued to turn down curries, etc. Finally, on our last cruise, we went to the Publunch and Hubby ordered chicken curry. It smelled delightful, so I tried, once again, to see if I liked it. Yessss I did! Pretty amazing how tastes really do change over time, if you keep your mind open. Honestly, I haven't tried any Indian food since, but, I won't be saying I hate it ever again. I plan to order it on my upcoming cruise too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I also cannot eat lamb. It is a very rich tasting meat. I also have a problem with beef, and did not eat it for over two years, but am gradually accepting it back into my diet (small amounts)because of an iron deficiency among other reasons. I toyed with vegetarianism but that is not for me either.

The very reason I first started eating Indian food was because a friend who is vegetarian introduced me to it, knowing that I had a bit of a problem with some meat. I am so glad.

I appreciate that we all have different tastes when it comes to food, but those who say that Indian food, or whatever kind of food is bad, yet they have not tried it, or took one bite and vowed to hate it for all time, do not have a valid complaint. Try it and if at first you think you don't like it, maybe try a different dish. A less spicy one, or one with or without meat etc. Don't just write off an entire culture's cuisine because you had one bad bite of food, or it smelled different from what you are used to.

Smelling different is one thing. The smell making you nauseated is another.

• 1 month later...
I give you credit for saying this because it does apply to so many people. When I was working at Disney's EPCOT, the least popular restaurant at the World Showcase was the one from Morocco. So many guests just didn't want to try something that was way outside their comfort zone. I can tell you that in that restaurant, the lamb dish I had was awesome and the lentil and saffron dishes were just as delicious. They were full of flavor and not spicy at all! So what was the most popular restaurant at EPCOT....the Italian! Go figure....

By the way, I love Indian cuisine! Give me some tandoori chicken and a glass of mango lassi any day! :D

For what it is worth, the restaurant in the Morocco pavilion is one of my favorites. :) I just don't get down there very much these days.

Just a couple of comments:

1. The life span of this thread is amazing!

2. The original poster, though inflammatory, later clarified that it was her perception that Indian was the only buffet option nearly every day of her cruise.

3. Given the sheer number of venues on most ships, it is *possible* that the OP assumed they were all alike, and simply didn't realize that a dedicated Indian station wasn't representative of the general buffet. (don't know, just conjecture).

4. I love many of the various Indian regional cuisines (yes, I know there are many), as well as lots of other cuisines.

5. I'm not a fan of eggplant, or non-bony fish seafood, or spice for the sake of pure heat and not true flavor, but otherwise I have a fairly adventurous palate. (Ok, so, "chilled monkey brains", and other internal organs, are probably off the list, too... ;) )

6. If every bottle of sriracha sauce on earth were to disappear into the cosmic void, I wouldn't shed a tear. :) (completely off topic, but it had to be said!)

In summary, variety is the spice of life. If I believed I was stuck with only one type of food for the entire cruise, no matter how tasty, I am sure I would be upset as well. Fortunately, I suspect we just have had a little misunderstanding.

Edited by WoodyWindy

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure there is more on offer than Indian food at the buffet table..

For those of us that don't appreciate pizza's, Burgers, hot dogs and bland casseroles, stews and chicken nuggets etc..

It's a welcome change to enjoy the subtlties and flavors of spices coming together in a taste sensation!! :D

Thank goodness the cruise ships have opened up there offerings to offer more than the typical bland North American Fayre!!

Thank you for saying that, I completely agree with you .

This is what I want to say to that post about the ocean food.

I believe it was the imagination that we took not long ago , they had Indian buffet just out side the lido which was a brilliant idea ,this way people that don't care for the aroma don't have to go by it.

Saying that ! What's with all the raving about Guys burgers ? It's just a burger not different then on all other ships that don't have this sign up.

If I wanted a burger I'll go to the drive thru and get this awful thing for $1.00

In the future think about what you say or right about other cultures foods.

Not everyone lives on meat and potatoes .

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

I believe it was the imagination that we took not long ago , they had Indian buffet just out side the lido which was a brilliant idea ,this way people that don't care for the aroma don't have to go by it.

Saying that ! What's with all the raving about Guys burgers ? It's just a burger not different then on all other ships that don't have this sign up.

If I wanted a burger I'll go to the drive thru and get this awful thing for $1.00

In the future think about what you say or right about other cultures foods.

Not everyone lives on meat and potatoes .

• 2 weeks later...
Smelling different is one thing. The smell making you nauseated is another.

LOL.....I work in health care..so I am used to BAD smells! lol! You get used to it quickly in my line of work or you quit. But to those who are sensitive in the smell department, I suggest either pinch your nose, or just hold your breath, and walk fast past the offending food/smell;) And maybe dont look either. Sorry; and please no offense meant here, but I find it amusing that so many are offended by the smell or look of a certain kind of food, which really is rarely seen or available on most cruise ship itineraries in the western hemisphere.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 2 weeks later...

I adore the smell of curry!

I walk home from work past an area that is mostly populated by families of Pakistani/Indian descent and the smells coming from the houses make me hungry!

Sometimes its get so bad I have to order a Indian takeaway when I get home! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scientific evidence Indian food is tasty. And anyone who thinks otherwise, I believe has not tried enough of it. I used to think Thai food was too sweet. Turns out the first person that told me about it liked to add extra sugar. And now that I've had authentic Thai, I love it. People who think they hate Indian food need to try again. So much more than just curry/stews or stuff that looks like dog barf.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-indian-food-tastes-good-2015-3

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-real-indian-dishes-try-154238050.html

Edited by whataboutport

• 2 weeks later...
lol, my hubby would love this post!

He hates it and I loooooooooovvvvvvvvvvve it! It's warm, spicy and full of flavor. On our last cruise I had Indian for lunch @ buffet and for dinner in MDR.

You and your husband's situation sound like my husband and me. I love Indian food and I look forward to having it when we cruise, hubby wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. On the other hand he will eat just about any type of fish prepared just about any way (no curry!), and I am way more picky about my seafood. I will admit our first two cruises on the NCL Spirit they had some foreign dishes on the buffet menu that I was not famililar with, and to me they looked and smelled totally unappealing. One was an Asian fish curry type thing that I didn't understand how anyone could get by the smell :eek: to be able to eat it. So I understand people who don't enjoy Indian food finding it totally unappealing. lol :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
add info

Personally, I love Indian food and enjoy sampling the options on the buffet and in the dining room. What I DON'T enjoy are buffets bursting with chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers and fries - we don't all want to eat off the equivalent of a kid's menu for every meal, so I appreciate the options and that ethnic dishes are available for the (many) of us who enjoy them and the variety they offer.

Personally, I love Indian food and enjoy sampling the options on the buffet and in the dining room. What I DON'T enjoy are buffets bursting with chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers and fries - we don't all want to eat off the equivalent of a kid's menu for every meal, so I appreciate the options and that ethnic dishes are available for the (many) of us who enjoy them and the variety they offer.

People knock ethnic foods & go on vacation to eat burgers & pizza. I just don't get it. Ok we all want a burger here & there but live a little. Try something new! I just love Carnivals tandoor station on the Dream & Breeze. Real naan, awesome hummus, the best chicken tikka. So good.

People knock ethnic foods & go on vacation to eat burgers & pizza. I just don't get it. Ok we all want a burger here & there but live a little. Try something new! I just love Carnivals tandoor station on the Dream & Breeze. Real naan, awesome hummus, the best chicken tikka. So good.

Um, no. There is much more to ethnic food than Indian. I prefer to actually go to the country of origin and eat the ethnic cuisine than make believe while sailing yet another Ho-hum Caribbean itinerary. Best "ethnic" food I've ever had was in Croatia.

Um, no. There is much more to ethnic food than Indian. I prefer to actually go to the country of origin and eat the ethnic cuisine than make believe while sailing yet another Ho-hum Caribbean itinerary. Best "ethnic" food I've ever had was in Croatia.

Uhhh... Just relating to the topic of this thread. Never did I make such a narrow-minded statement.

My point is... Take a typical (and this is a generalized statement) "picky, untraveled or green" meat & potato eating person & give them a persimmon... You'll get a look like you're from outer space. They are the ones on line for pizza & burgers every day -- They are the ones that should try some local mofongo, posole, or jerk chicken, rabbit stew, curries, bubble & squeak.

And yes..... Some babaganoush or a samosa on a cruise ship wouldn't hurt either! What you consider a ho-hum Caribbean itinerary can be an ethnic culinary step, or wake up call to others.

I absolutely AGREE that you should immerse yourself in local culture & cuisine. It's such a part of a traveling experience!

Happy cruising & Eating!!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

This thread is still going....:p

Boy people Love the indian food..I'm the 1%.

Hubby and I cruise together, and I really look forward to and usually LOVE the Indian cuisine that is offered on the cruise. Hubby swears he wouldn't eat it if he was starving, so it looks like you may have a long lost relative here LOL :D

Lorie

Stand by for another surprise! Following a survey conducted nationally the following questions were posed as to peoples knowledge of ethnic dishes.

The Uk favorite dish was Tandoori Chicken Masala. Not roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as most predicted.

Americas favorite dish turned out to be Tupperware

I was recently on the Brilliance of the seas and one of the enterprising head waiters had organized an Indian lunch consisting of 5 courses which were cooked by the chef and served to all those present. I was pleased to see some colonials in the audience and they mostly enjoyed the experience. The recipes and prep instructions were delivered to the cabins the next day, best $15 we spent on the cruise.

I find it highly amusing to be referred to as a "colonial" LOL :D That being said, I love Indian food and on my past trips to England was absolutely thrilled with the food there, specifically the cosmopolitan hub that is London. The Indian food I had was just amazing, even in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant with only three small tables and crazy good food. Also in my opinion England has the best cheese and the best chocolate, I don't know why but to me it is the best. We are looking forward to our Bermuda cruise so that we can get Cadbury Chocolate. Bermuda has the real stuff, straight from the UK. Yummy.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
Typos

I find it highly amusing to be referred to as a "colonial" LOL :D That being said, I love Indian food and on my past trips to England was absolutely thrilled with the food there, specifically the cosmopolitan hub that is London. The Indian food I had was just amazing, even in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant with only three small tables and crazy good food. Also in my opinion England has the best cheese and the best chocolate, I don't know why but to me it is the best. We are looking forward to our Bermuda cruise so that we can get Cadbury Chocolate. Bermuda has the real stuff, straight from the UK. Yummy.

Lorie

You get lovely Indian food all over. You can be in a small village in Cumbria and within a 10 miles there will be an Indian place...yum.

I am on the Europe has the best cheese and chocolate bandwagon but England's offering of chocolate always bugs me but I can completely stick up for our lovely cheeses such as Stilton, Stinking Bishop et al. I also love Indian cheese (Paneer) in curries.

I actually prefer Hershey's to Cadbury's but Kinder rules them both...from Germany. Then when I think about Continental chocolate I go mad.

See if you can get some Galaxy chocolate in Bermuda....what a treat!

Edited by Velvetwater

Hershey's makes Cadbury & has banned all UK imports into the US. They own the manufacturing license here, I stock up on my Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars when I visit PA! But I'm sure it doesn't compare.

Another hidden gem is the Wilbur Chocolate Factory outside Lancaster. It's a small 3 story Building that operates 24/7 since forever & they supply all the chocolate for....

Wait for it....

Godiva chocolates.

I need to go to England & try some of their Indian. And some awesome fish & chips too!!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

Hershey's makes Cadbury & has banned all UK imports into the US. They own the manufacturing license here, I stock up on my Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars when I visit PA! But I'm sure it doesn't compare.

Another hidden gem is the Wilbur Chocolate Factory outside Lancaster. It's a small 3 story Building that operates 24/7 since forever & they supply all the chocolate for....

Wait for it....

Godiva chocolates.

I need to go to England & try some of their Indian. And some awesome fish & chips too!!!

I just brought three canisters of the Cadbury hot chocolate mix home for my sister from England. She is in heaven.

I just brought three canisters of the Cadbury hot chocolate mix home for my sister from England. She is in heaven.

For some reason I have never even thought of bringing home Cadbury Hot Chocolate mix. I am putting that on the list of goodies to look for now lol. Thanks! :)

I will also be on the look out for Galaxy chocolate - thank you Velvetwater for that suggestion. Also Nestle Lion and Toffee Crisp, those are my two favorite UK candy bars. It seems like a lot of candy to bring home, but my husband tried UK chocolate and he was hooked. It's a good thing chocolate keeps pretty well, and we have friends and family to share with too. LOL

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
typos