Noumea advice for food lovers! Food, wine, pastries, cheese

LuckiePuris

Hi guys,

I'm really wanting to taste some fantastic foods while in Noumea.

I have been a few times before, and know there are a few restaurants by Lemon Bay.

Can anyone recommend anywhere we can visit for some nice wine and perhaps a cheese platter? Any good pastries? Is there a Must Visit place for foodies?

Thank you!

I would like to know an answer to this as well. We have a day long visit on our cruise in October. I'm not much of a shore excursion person, so I would like to know of a great place to eat while in the town.

Michael

If you like classic French cuisine, go to La Mediterranee at the south end (far end on HoHo bus route) of Lemon Bay. I had some superb duck there. It's in a cluster of restaurants that also includes a creperie that was recommended to us but we didn't get around to trying that one - the duck tempted me too much :D

Lemon Bay is really pretty with a lovely beach that you can swim at. The restaurants are across the road from the beach.

We just did a loop on the HoHo bus which leaves from the ferry terminal, so we could se a bit of the town and beaches, then went back around to Lemon Bay for lunch.

Hi guys and gals !

Also waiting for an excursion suggestion.

Any snorkel tour ?

We were there in January and did a half day lagoon snorkel trip at signal island which was great got to see turtles couple sharks heaps of fish and nice coral , but we did this as a ship excursion RCI so not sure if your ship offers this, also being a half day we then had time to go to lemon bay for a bite to eat very nice.

One bit of advice watch out for coral cuts 4 weeks later I am still on antibiotics

not sure if you are going to Lifou is so go to Jinek bay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for these replies. Lemon Bay sounds like a perfect place for us to go wander. We are not snorkeling, swimming, beach people, so some great food would make for a nice afternoon. Is Noumea fairly safe / easy to wander around?

Michael

We were there again last month. We explored Anse Vata beach as well. There was a nice cafe there with good chocolate croissants - down the southern end. There is a very good hat shop at Anse Vatu. One of the tourist shops, behind the cafe I think, is very expensive but the one on the main street is reasonable value for knicknacks.

There is a shortcut between Anse Vatu beach and Lemon Beach if you are walking. The side street that the aquarium is on links both beaches.

We tried a different restaurant this time - Astrolabe, right next to La Mediterranee. Wonderful escargot, great tuna tartare, but my mahi mahi main was a but boring. The local restaurant cat is very cute and enjoys being patted.

Back from a recent visit to Noumea.

Firstly we visited an amazing patisserie L'Atelier Gourmand approx 10 min walk from the aquarium. They are on trip advisor and we had some beautiful cakes, pastries, baguette.

We lunched at La Barca at Lemon Bay / Baie De Citron which had some fantastic outdoor lounge style seating and some great tapas.

Edited by LuckiePuris