Pompeii or Herculaneum

DH and I have just got round to discussing what we want to do in port. :eek:

After researching and reading reports on here, I decided that Herculaneum would be a better choice than Pompeii but DH is insisting on doing the Thomson excursion to Pompeii.

Anybody got any thoughts on which is the best site to spend half a day because I would like to spend sometime in Sorrento too.

There is so much to choose from at that port of call.

Pompeii is much more extensive and gets the most attention I think, but personally I prefer Herculaneum as what Linda says is the case - it is far more complete. Iirc, it got covered in ash which preserved most of the buildings whereas Pompeii suffered the lava flow which flattened a fair bit of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=herculaneum+pictures&client=firefox-a&hs=mCg&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oBwQVOn0FcyB7QaKloGIAw&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=619

The buildings are so much better preserved, even some furniture and wooden balconies (a bit charred though!!!) so I found it far easier to imagine the town 'alive' as it were. Pompeii we also enjoyed but the history felt so much more real in Herculaneum as you could see how the town 'worked'.

Whatever, I'm sure you will enjoy either site - and as for so much to see............an excuse to go back Jakanne! ;);)

Edited by kruzseeka

Done Pompeii, but not Herculaneum.

I have heard the same thing said by work colleagues Linda, and the documentary on Herculaneum shown earlier on the BBC was really good, they were saying it gives a better picture of real life at the time of the eruption than Pompeii.

We found getting the lift up to Sorrento was a great way of doing it, no waiting for the bus to set off, and we never saw any queues at the lift, (we were on the first tender though) just follow the signs, it's past the big motorbike park. Think it was €1.80 return.

Go in the church that's in the first big square you come to, and go through to the back of it down the stairs, there is a view from the windows of the road that snakes down from the Town to the port.

Thanks everyone, just as I thought about Herculaneum. Now to persuade him because he now has walking difficulties with 2 dicky knees. At least that is what he tells me when he sees shops. Lol.

Thanks for the Sorrento information Joe. Have the 2 little ducks been there? :D

Thanks everyone, just as I thought about Herculaneum. Now to persuade him because he now has walking difficulties with 2 dicky knees. At least that is what he tells me when he sees shops. Lol.

They go most places we do ;)

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1995#1995

There's your lever, Jakanne (don't tell DH I've said that!! :D ) Less walking involved at Herculaneum - Pompeii is huge and the distance between some of the highlights involves a lot of walking. We followed the map at the site (did it ourselves and bought audio guides) and chose the 'highlights tour' which they said would take two hours - it took us three and some tours take about five if you try to see everything!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

There's your lever, Jakanne (don't tell DH I've said that!! :D ) Less walking involved at Herculaneum - Pompeii is huge and the distance between some of the highlights involves a lot of walking. We followed the map at the site (did it ourselves and bought audio guides) and chose the 'highlights tour' which they said would take two hours - it took us three and some tours take about five if you try to see everything!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

I don't think he realises that....it's the name Pompeii, I think. I do, as my parents went on holiday to Sorrento for years and often went to Pompeii as there was always something new to see. I am getting a bit tired of looking at "half built buildings" or piles of rocks, now. Really need a good guide to bring the place to life. We have found that the Thomson guides we have had in the past have been excellent.

Thanks Joe. I love your photos. I used to take a Bear with me and got some funny looks when taking photos of them. It was for school Geography lessons. The children didn't get to see them all though! :eek:;)

Oh, and DH used to go mad at me too!

Edited by Jakanne1

I get the funny looks, I just tell them they have their own website and that I am too old to care what people think about me doing this.

Not sure if you have seen this, just giving you something to look forward to:

The back row of the Medusa is Hazel's section in the evenings, she sometimes gets the Mariachi band over and they do a quick song. :)

A few years ago we stopped at Naples with Thomsons' Spirit. They did a full day guided tour which included time in Sorrento and Pompeii. There was an option to go by train and that was well worth it. We all had sets of wireless headphones which enabled us to easily listen to the guide without having to be right next to him. We had a quick guided walk round some areas of Sorrento and we then had time to find ourselves somewhere for lunch. I'd been to Pompeii many years before but it was worth having the guide or I think we'd have missed a lot.

If you do decide to go to Herculaneum, you won't be disappointed, but again I'd recommend going with a Thomson guide. Both amazing sites. :)

Thanks all. DH is a clever man. He did his own research on line today and said, "I think we will go to Herculaneum rather than Pompeii." I hadn't even started to work on him, so I read out your comments to confirm his "own" decision. ;). Think I will book it on line incase demand is high. :rolleyes:

You have to let them think it was their idea Jackie ;);)

Have you done the ironing yet? I have finished mine. It took me one and a half hours :(

Ironing done, and lots more besides. Do other people like me find lots of jobs that MUST be done before going away on holiday? I'm working down a never ending list. I still cannot find those bikini bottoms. :eek:

We have done both Pompeii and Herculaneum and I preferred Herculaneum They are both very good. Pompeii was very big and uneven to walk on (and as I always say only place my wife and I have been in a brothel ha ha )Herculaneum is sit not all opened up as there are people still living over it and will not move That was a few years back Really speaking they are both worth seeing So book another cruise so you can do both

Hi Jackie, we were on the Dream last week but were unable to launch the tenders in Sorrento so docked in Naples instead. Now there's a place to avoid! Couldn't get to Sorrento as we hadn't researched the travel links so you are very wise to book the trip. We also couldn't land at Calvi and went to Ajaccio instead. Which is a lovely port except we had docked there the week before....

I'm sure you will love the Dream. Brandi and Max are on at the moment along with Suzy who were all on the Majesty last year. And you will be treated to the wonderful Tales of the Sea each evening courtesy of Captain Torsten Pugwash

Have a great cruise the pair of you!!

Hi Jackie, we were on the Dream last week but were unable to launch the tenders in Sorrento so docked in Naples instead. Now there's a place to avoid! Couldn't get to Sorrento as we hadn't researched the travel links so you are very wise to book the trip. We also couldn't land at Calvi and went to Ajaccio instead. Which is a lovely port except we had docked there the week before....

I'm sure you will love the Dream. Brandi and Max are on at the moment along with Suzy who were all on the Majesty last year. And you will be treated to the wonderful Tales of the Sea each evening courtesy of Captain Torsten Pugwash

Have a great cruise the pair of you!!

Hi Paul and Anne. We missed you by 2 weeks! Brandi didn't get you on the stage again? I knew Brandi and Max are on the Dream....they have a FB site Braximusic. I think someone said that Suzy is having a break in September so might still not be on. I was aware of the bad weather in the Med too last week, get to know all sorts on the Thomson FB site. :rolleyes: It is such a shame but just have to make the most of it.

Ray chose the cruise for the itinerary and we are having a week in Son Matias, Palma Nova after to relax. At least this cruise we only need Euros so no mixing currencies this time. :eek:

I, along with 3 girl friends, was on the Dream in the Caribbean in February so I hope Captain Torsten has some new stories.

Give my best regards to Anne. Lovely to hear from you.