Fireworks for July 4th?

cruisefeen2304

She's leaving the Bahamas at 4pm on the 4th... and will be at sea at night.

I don't think Cunard would want to risk a multi million dollar vessel as a fireworks barge.

Have you noticed how low the rates are for this sailing?

She's leaving the Bahamas at 4pm on the 4th... and will be at sea at night.

I don't think Cunard would want to risk a multi million dollar vessel as a fireworks barge.

Have you noticed how low the rates are for this sailing?

I sure did because i doubt i would've experienced the QM2 without them.

....but let's keep them for 5th November:)

David

If I did that here (in the US) I could get away with it, because the authorities wouldn't expect it then. But that would mean we'd have to go on quite a trip to pick some up and bring them back.

We live in a state where fireworks are outlawed. Other states are happy to sell them to everyone. See, we'd be outlaws! :p

We live in a state where fireworks are outlawed.

Very, very sensible.

They are horribly dangerous, and cause untold worry to animals. Our poor dog - even though he was a gun dog - was terrified of them. It was really sad.

Matthew

If I did that here (in the US) I could get away with it, because the authorities wouldn't expect it then. But that would mean we'd have to go on quite a trip to pick some up and bring them back.

We live in a state where fireworks are outlawed. Other states are happy to sell them to everyone. See, we'd be outlaws! :p

Angela,

The ones that don't leave the ground are not legal here. (sparklers, shooting star things that just throw sparks while on the ground) We had a big to do a few years back when i a fire department was selling them as a fundraiser.

Hmph! While you're at it, why not have the lawyers and ambulance association sell them. You know, drum up business!

Karie,

who likes fireworks, but when they sell them at the drug store, it almost makes it seem as if they are safe!

I too thought that Disney was the only cruise line who did them....

Last summer however we did a 7 day cruise aboard NCL to Bermuda.... We chose NCL only because she docked for 3 days in Bermuda.... Well what a surprise... Turned out that Ross Perot owed a house/mansion in Bermuda and every 4th does a firework display. We were aft in a fully glass enclosed night club when they began....We watched the best display of fireworks I have ever seen......

You never know where you might see fireworks!

Very, very sensible.

They are horribly dangerous, and cause untold worry to animals. Our poor dog - even though he was a gun dog - was terrified of them. It was really sad.

Matthew

But I like fireworks! We keep the animals in the house and the fireworks outside.

I mean, if we had some...which of course we no longer do. Sigh.

PS: A gun dog is smart enough to know the difference. He'd be closed up inside, too, if we had some fireworks to set off to celebrate. Guy is surely spinning in his grave over all this PC business.

Angela,

The ones that don't leave the ground are not legal here. (sparklers, shooting star things that just throw sparks while on the ground) We had a big to do a few years back when i a fire department was selling them as a fundraiser.

Hmph! While you're at it, why not have the lawyers and ambulance association sell them. You know, drum up business!

Karie,

who likes fireworks, but when they sell them at the drug store, it almost makes it seem as if they are safe!

Oh bollocks. If we're going to be so safe and so afraid perhaps we should just all wear styrofoam clohes and stay in the house all the time? I've got not much patience with the PC nonsense that goes on nowadays. Call the Waahhmbulance for an association, these days. Sheesh. So tedious.

Oh, I forgot. No one takes responsibility for their actions any longer. It's someone else's fault. Never mind.

Oh bollocks. If we're going to be so safe and so afraid perhaps we should just all wear styrofoam clohes and stay in the house all the time? I've got not much patience with the PC nonsense that goes on nowadays. Call the Waahhmbulance for an association, these days. Sheesh. So tedious.

Oh, I forgot. No one takes responsibility for their actions any longer. It's someone else's fault. Never mind.

Oops. let me correct my typo I just noticed. The ones that DON'T leave the ground are legal!

No Styrofoma clothing please. Ever cooked something in the micro in one of those stupid styro take-out tubs? and it melts with anything with tomatos sauce? Now. Ever touch melted styrofoam? Here's a hint! DON'T Not fun. I'll pick something else. Bayby bunny fur or cute Koala skin, maybe?)

Angela. Not trying to be PC here I just think it is ludoicrous that a FIRE DEPARTMENT was selling FIREWORKS! Not putting them on- SELLING THEM! What's next, giving lighters to kids to play with? Just seems a little ironic to me is all.

We had a 350th celebration (our town's birthday- No wait- 250. darn Can't remember. It's my old town that fights with another town over who's the oldest. Both start the same year, but one was moslty a trading post.) Well, whatever it was. I was watching the fireworks from a couple of blocks away (they were up on a hill at the town rec dept) in a parking lot. Suddenly hot pieces of rubbber are raining down on my car, on me, on kids in strollers! Not good! Aparently that is what the tubes are made of,.

One of the skydiving instructors at our drop zone was at the Torrington town Fireworks display 10 or fifteen years ago with their baby. One of the tubes fell over (Actually a set of about five tubes, I think) and the fireworks shot along the ground instead of up. The baby was burned horribly. I can't remember if it was a Grucci show (the best know fireworks family in the country) These people are not wimps! they are skydivers, for crying out loud!

Memorial Day, Marc was teaching his oldest young niece (one is actually grown up and goes to McGill) how to be a pyro- making something involving a book of matches and a sheet of alumunum foil. What can I say- He's an inventor! And he does some stuff that's pretty scary (and imspressive- he does some cool stuff with dry ice and..um.... Well, let'sjust say certain objects one might find in the personal aisle at the drug store.

He damn near blew up a neighbor's house setting off stuff one New Year! Fortunately the neighbor was also at the party. And the helicopter instructors used to have a 4th of July get-together on a lake (Congamond, for those form this area- on the Mass CT border) They would have bottle rocket fights! Honest! We're far from PC! (You can buy them in New Hampshire- You just swear that you are buying them for agricultural purposes if you don't have a fireworks exhibition licesne Don't ask me how I know! But be forewarned, you are signing a piece of paper to that effect!)

Karie,

who no longer has that awful mole problem! <G>

...and I thought you had a fine tradition of that in the colonies:D

David

But I like fireworks!

Oh bollocks. If we're going to be so safe and so afraid perhaps we should just all wear Styrofoam clothes and stay in the house all the time?

I'm with Angela - I like fireworks (on the 5th November and possibly at very special events like the millennium celebrations). I had many very happy bonfire parties as a child and we never had an accident. Fireworks need to be treated with respect, not legislation. If you teach kids how to handle fireworks they'll use that knowledge for other things in the future; if you just tell them not to use them they learn nothing except where to get illegal fireworks.

I'm with Angela - I like fireworks (on the 5th November and possibly at very special events like the millennium celebrations). I had many very happy bonfire parties as a child and we never had an accident. Fireworks need to be treated with respect, not legislation. If you teach kids how to handle fireworks they'll use that knowledge for other things in the future; if you just tell them not to use them they learn nothing except where to get illegal fireworks.

I like fireworks too. But unfortunately, and having had a series of animal who were terrified by them, I'm beginning to think that legislation to protect from the bad manners of others is necessary.

The trouble is that we have fireworks for so many occasions - and each one is not restricted to the day that it is on. Early November in Leicester (fortunately out of ear shot) has a fortnight of them with the combination of Diwali and November 5th.

If people are stupid enough to hurt themselves, then that is Darwin in action. I too had fireworks parties as a child, but there seemed to be so many fewer then - and restricted to November 5th and the nearest Saturday. Now the aim seems to be to make more noise than anyone else - and it is the noise that dogs have the problem with.

Angela - your gun dog was obviously more attuned to his past than ours. He was terrified of bangs, was the retriever who never retrieved (I believe he thought that if we'd thrown it away, we didn't want it, so why should he be bothered? Indeed, even if we did want it, we knew where it was!)

Matthew

I like fireworks too. But unfortunately, and having had a series of animal who were terrified by them, I'm beginning to think that legislation to protect from the bad manners of others is necessary.

The trouble is that we have fireworks for so many occasions - and each one is not restricted to the day that it is on. Early November in Leicester (fortunately out of ear shot) has a fortnight of them with the combination of Diwali and November 5th.

I like fireworks (on the 5th November and possibly at very special events like the millennium celebrations).

I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that you've got to keep your pets locked up for one evening a year. I do think that the bangs that start at the beginning of October and continue until the start of December are unreasonable. Legislation (and the required policing) to control the bangs I would happily agree to. Why should those of us who like fireworks be penalised because a small minority believe they should be able to set them off whenever they like?

I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that you've got to keep your pets locked up for one evening a year. I do think that the bangs that start at the beginning of October and continue until the start of December are unreasonable. Legislation (and the required policing) to control the bangs I would happily agree to. Why should those of us who like fireworks be penalised because a small minority believe they should be able to set them off whenever they like?

I can't disagree here. The only caveat is that locking them in the house doesn't help.

Many years ago we sedated our dog gently for the evening. Now we'd have to put a dog into a coma for weeks.

Surely public displays are the way to go? More impressive, and safer. And, better for the dog world. (Cats can look after themselves. Sir M can be tied to a rocket, of course!)

Matthew

Matthew,

I completely agree with what you say, but the problem of enforcement then comes to the fore. Even a ban on sales would be circumvented, I’m sure. People are quite resourceful, especially with the Internet at their disposal and I am convinced that teenagers are probably more than capable of equipping themselves with a veritable cornucopia of battlefield ordnance.

A couple of years ago we attended a private display where the fireworks on show were anything but “private”. The majority of them would not have been out of place at a substantial commercial or public celebration.

I daresay that we, in common with other dog owners will spend the time surrounding 5th Nov placating the poor animal. I would agree with the cat being tied to the rocket, but in the case of MIL, the rocket would merely be a different type of aerial transport for her familiar :D :D

David

The only caveat is that locking them in the house doesn't help.

My only dealings with pets and bonfire night are through John Noakes and Peter Purvis. I seem to remember that they did things like putting cotton wool in their animals' ears for that night. Couldn't you keep your dog happy if the bangs were restricted to one night only?

(BTW I certainly agree about SM. I wonder if there is any link between his name and a cat-o-nine tails?)

My only dealings with pets and bonfire night are through John Noakes and Peter Purvis. I seem to remember that they did things like putting cotton wool in their animals' ears for that night. Couldn't you keep your dog happy if the bangs were restricted to one night only?

He's not with us any more, so it isn't a live question. But I'd have been prepared to sit up with him for one night. It gets tiring over several.

Mind you, thunder was just as bad.... That was really bad - one of us had to go and hold his paw.....

Some gundog! :eek:

Matthew

IF we had some fireworks to shoot off we'd lock the animals in the house with the windows closed. No reason to make them more deranged than they already are.

Actually, I just remembered that a neighbor at the bottom of the hill, an ex-fire chief, sets off a nice fireworks display on the 4th. :rolleyes:

I hope the OP get a nice fireworks display - perhaps, as mentioned, there is a private individual who will hire a commercial enterprise to put on an incredible show.

I've seen and heard about several dogs going through sliding glass doors when they got frightened by fireworks. Seems like one was on an episode of Emergency Vet on Animal Planet years ago. The noise makes me jumpy, too. One fellow's remedy was going to be to lock the house up tight and play his stereo extremely loud to cover the noise. I think I'd go for a tranquiliser.

I do not like fireworks unless it is a professional display. Even when we were in town, there were folks who would have them shooting every place - during a drought, no less. I kept waiting for someone's roof to catch fire or a child to get injured. A lot of the adults had a beer in one hand and firecrackers in the other. Need I say more? We were just outside the city limits, so the authorities didn't get involved. In the meantime, there were FOUR professional, public displays that I could see from the second story of our home. I guess it's a tough call, though. Some of them booze it up all day, then they can't drive to an event. So, they stage their own. Yippee!

Now, we're in a heavily treed rural area and I like them even less - because of the potential fire hazard and because of what they do to our animals. Our horses were previously boarded within easy earshot of a military base's artillery range. They've had helicopters pass low overhead and experienced all kinds of heavy machinery nearby. But, they don't like fireworks and I always worry that some idiot neighbor kid will get the bright idea of throwing some where they could spook or injure a horse or catch the hay on fire. Personal responsibility is a fine idea, but those who should be responsible aren't. Is it MY responsibility to police our acreage to stop a trespassing fool from doing someting silly?

The stray dog we picked up is also very frightened of loud noises. Piecing together what we know of her past, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she'd been exposed to fireworks in an unsafe, even punitive manner. She's scared of brooms and shovels, too.

So anyway, I like a nice professionally organized event with fire personnel at the ready. I hate yahoos playing with explosives...but then I hate ATV's, too, and lots of other noisy new additions to our previously quiet piece of heaven.

Archived