St Maarten saftey ?

Years ago we stayed at the Divi (27 to be exact lol) and walked several times from the Divi into Phillipsburgh, we always felt safe and it was a nice walk. We are cruising in a few months and would like to re-enact however I have heard the island is not so safe anymore, can anyone comment as to whether or not we should be concerned about the safety and take a taxi ?

We spend two weeks on St. Maarten every year and have never felt concerned during the day or early evening in Phillipsburg. Of course there is some risk anywhere, but if you are talking about a daytime walk, you are probably as safe there as in any U S city.

We spend two weeks on St. Maarten every year and have never felt concerned during the day or early evening in Phillipsburg. Of course there is some risk anywhere, but if you are talking about a daytime walk, you are probably as safe there as in any U S city.

Have you done the walk from town to Divi ? It goes a little off the beaten track and I'm wondering if people still feel that route is safe ? Somehow I was much more adventurous in my 20's than my 50's lol

Have you done the walk from town to Divi ? It goes a little off the beaten track and I'm wondering if people still feel that route is safe ? Somehow I was much more adventurous in my 20's than my 50's lol

No, I have not walked that route. Because we have a car when on the island - we generally only walk when in one of the towns. I think all of us become a tad less adventurous as the years pass - also a bit less enthusiastic about walking up and down hills in the tropical sun (not to mention just enough better funded so as to have transportation options other than our shoes).

No, I have not walked that route. Because we have a car when on the island - we generally only walk when in one of the towns. I think all of us become a tad less adventurous as the years pass - also a bit less enthusiastic about walking up and down hills in the tropical sun (not to mention just enough better funded so as to have transportation options other than our shoes).

Thanks for the info and very true on all accounts lol, we were just hoping to re-enact and walk on our way back. Of course we'll be in a rush to get there but was hoping for a nice stroll on the way back after a lazy day. Sailing next week and still hoping someone chimes in.

Unless you are on an overnight port-of-call, you will be walking back from Divi to the pier during the day and it should be perfectly safe. It would be a weird and highly unlikely crime for someone to accost you on that walk - in part because you will be right along a fairly busy road even when not in downtown. Crime is not that bad by any means.

Those of us who respond a lot here just think about the steep hill from Sonesta Great Bay up to the height of the roadway above Divi and then down the hill into Divi and have no particular desire to walk it. It is probably a half mile to leave Divi and walk up and down the hill to Sonesta Great Bay - from Sonesta to the pier is of course flat ground. It probably is about 2.5 miles total from Divi to port.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you are on an overnight port-of-call, you will be walking back from Divi to the pier during the day and it should be perfectly safe. It would be a weird and highly unlikely crime for someone to accost you on that walk - in part because you will be right along a fairly busy road even when not in downtown. Crime is not that bad by any means.

Those of us who respond a lot here just think about the steep hill from Sonesta Great Bay up to the height of the roadway above Divi and then down the hill into Divi and have no particular desire to walk it. It is probably a half mile to leave Divi and walk up and down the hill to Sonesta Great Bay - from Sonesta to the pier is of course flat ground. It probably is about 2.5 miles total from Divi to port.

Great info & thanks for responding, I will keep in mind we can always get a taxi back lol