Taxi in Skjolden

I wanted to relate our experience of taking a taxi in Skjolden. (May 19, 2014) A couple and I wanted to go to the Urnes Stave Church. The ship had a tour, but was fully sold out.

We contacted the visitor office and were advised to take a taxi. The cost was 950 NOK. per hour.

Upon arrival in Skjolden, we walked to the visitor centre. I asked if the taxi could take us to, drive us back from, visit a little....at the Stave Church in an hour. Oh yes, was the answer.

The taxi arrived. I again ascertained that we could get to the Church and back with a little visit in a hour. Of course, the taxi driver said. His price was 1000 NOK an hour.

There are only 5 taxis in Skjolden.

We went to the Church....I wasn't really watching the time, but I think it took about 20-25 minutes. The driver didn't doddle, but neither did he speed. He did spend a fair amount of time on his cell phone..:cool:

We looked around the Church and grounds, took pictures and generally enjoyed ourselves. I was back in the taxi, again, not looking at the time. The couple had to look for lost sunglasses that turned out not to be lost. The driver was relaxed. He chatted with other drivers and seemed to be having a good time. We got back in the taxi to head back. He didn't seem to drive as fast on the way back. He made a unrequested stop at a waterfall so the couple could take pictures, and we got stuck behind a stopped tour bus for a few minutes (not his fault)

Upon arrival back in town. The driver informed us that we had used the taxi for 50 extra minutes and therefore owed him 1850NOK, not the 1000NOK that we contracted. There was no convincing him that perhaps he should have kept better time and told us that we were running over.

I'm not trying to make this his fault...but I made it abundantly clear that we only wanted to use the taxi for 60, maybe 70 minutes. This is after being assured that we could do our trip in the requested time without a problem.

None of us was particularily happy at having to hand over an extra 300NOK each.

So if you use a taxi in Skjolden....perhaps it would be good to keep a strict eye on the time.....or hopefully not have to use a taxi!! Maybe this is a good port to use the ship's tours only.

I didn't think that Norway used these kind of tactics...certainly would expect it from other countries, but not here.

Be forewarned.

:D