Bangkok - Ship Excursion On Your Own

efghi9

We have booked the Princess Bangkok On Your Own excursion 8:00am to 4:00pm weekday. I understand that the excursion buses are not allowed into the Rattanakosin district, where the Grand Palace is located. The Princess Excursion description states that we will be dropped off at the Asia Hotel located at the Ratchathewi Station on the SUKHUMVIT Train LINE. We would like to make our way to the Grand Palace. We were thinking of walking to the nearest SILOM TRAIN LINE station and taking the train to the Saphan Taksin Station where we could pick up the “river bus” (the Chao Pharaya Express Boat Service) to the Grand Palace area.

The traffic can be hectic and as such a taxi ride from the Asia Hotel may be slow. It was suggested that the best way to get to the Grand Palace and Wats was via the river. Our first time in Bangkok and we have no mobility issues. Any thoughts, suggestions or better ideas welcome.

Hi,

I have been to Bangkok and toured on my own many times. What you are suggesting is very doable. In case you didn't see the info about it on Trip Advisor, here is the link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c158383/Thailand:Getting.To.Grand.Palace.html

Bangkok is a wonderful place to visit--so many interesting things to see and do. Enjoy! :D

We have booked the Princess Bangkok On Your Own excursion 8:00am to 4:00pm weekday. I understand that the excursion buses are not allowed into the Rattanakosin district, where the Grand Palace is located. The Princess Excursion description states that we will be dropped off at the Asia Hotel located at the Ratchathewi Station on the SUKHUMVIT Train LINE. We would like to make our way to the Grand Palace. We were thinking of walking to the nearest SILOM TRAIN LINE station and taking the train to the Saphan Taksin Station where we could pick up the “river bus” (the Chao Pharaya Express Boat Service) to the Grand Palace area.

The traffic can be hectic and as such a taxi ride from the Asia Hotel may be slow. It was suggested that the best way to get to the Grand Palace and Wats was via the river. Our first time in Bangkok and we have no mobility issues. Any thoughts, suggestions or better ideas welcome.

Great spot to be dropped. The Asia Hotel is actually attached to the BTS (Skytrain) so it is very quick and easy to reach both the Grand Palace and Wat Po without using being stuck in traffic or using taxis.

Take the BTS one stop to Siam then change lines until you reach Saphan Taksim (about 6 stops). When you alight the river will be just ahead of you and you can get one of the boats to the Grand Palace, you will easily spot the Palace as the boat approaches.

The ticket booth in the stations are usually manned by very helpful ladies who will advise if a day ticket is better value for you.

Don't be taken in by anyone who approaches you to say that the Palace is closed. It's a scam and they want to take you to "their" shops:D

Have a great trip.

PS You could walk to Siam about 10 mins but better to save your energy for the Palace and Wat Po

Edited by chrispb
omission

• 3 weeks later...
Great spot to be dropped. The Asia Hotel is actually attached to the BTS (Skytrain) so it is very quick and easy to reach both the Grand Palace and Wat Po without using being stuck in traffic or using taxis.

Take the BTS one stop to Siam then change lines until you reach Saphan Taksim (about 6 stops). When you alight the river will be just ahead of you and you can get one of the boats to the Grand Palace, you will easily spot the Palace as the boat approaches.

The ticket booth in the stations are usually manned by very helpful ladies who will advise if a day ticket is better value for you.

Don't be taken in by anyone who approaches you to say that the Palace is closed. It's a scam and they want to take you to "their" shops:D

Have a great trip.

PS You could walk to Siam about 10 mins but better to save your energy for the Palace and Wat Po

Echo about grand palace scam. It has been going on for decades and in spite of story after story on the internet...google grand palace scam....many still fall for it....you will be approached by a person who tells you the Grand Palace is closed for a holiday...then a second or even third "reputabable" looking thai will be walking along seemingly at random and they will confirm that yes it is closed....and then you will be taken to a jewelry store where there is a special sale ...DO NOT FALL FOR ANY OF THIS...the Grand Palace is rarely if ever closed and it is a shame that many people miss seeing it due to this scam....why the Thai Tourism authority and police allow this to go on year after year after year is beyond stupid. I had a friend that even after being warned fell for it as it can be very slick and convincing.......

Echo about grand palace scam. It has been going on for decades and in spite of story after story on the internet...google grand palace scam....many still fall for it....you will be approached by a person who tells you the Grand Palace is closed for a holiday...then a second or even third "reputabable" looking thai will be walking along seemingly at random and they will confirm that yes it is closed....and then you will be taken to a jewelry store where there is a special sale ...DO NOT FALL FOR ANY OF THIS...the Grand Palace is rarely if ever closed and it is a shame that many people miss seeing it due to this scam....why the Thai Tourism authority and police allow this to go on year after year after year is beyond stupid. I had a friend that even after being warned fell for it as it can be very slick and convincing.......

thank you for taking the time to caution us.. helps so much to be prepared. I will make a note of this on my guide sheets and remind myself a few times during the day.

Sandra

Have a great trip.

thank you so much for the above......very much appreciated. I apologize for the tardy response back to you.

sandra

I hope you do your homework regarding the Grand Palace. Without a tour guide, you may not know the significance of what you are seeing, or the history regarding the site. It is an incredible place!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I hope you do your homework regarding the Grand Palace. Without a tour guide, you may not know the significance of what you are seeing, or the history regarding the site. It is an incredible place!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I most certainly have been doing my research...that is half the fun for me. I have guide books and printed notes. However, I have not found a good map yet! The guide books have good over views but not street maps. I am not sure where I will get this before we go.

Sandra

I most certainly have been doing my research...that is half the fun for me. I have guide books and printed notes. However, I have not found a good map yet! The guide books have good over views but not street maps. I am not sure where I will get this before we go.

Several years ago, I bought the Nancy Chandler map for Bangkok. I actually got it for a low price at a newsagent in Bangkok itself, but it can be ordered via Amazon, for example. Just to let you know: it's not a traditional street map as such - it's sort of hand-drawn with lots of colours/notes and detailed smaller maps of tourist districts - but it has great insider tips and will guide you through the main streets and to the famous and less famous sights!

Enjoy the wonderful city of Bangkok!

Ken

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Forums

Several years ago, I bought the Nancy Chandler map for Bangkok. I actually got it for a low price at a newsagent in Bangkok itself, but it can be ordered via Amazon, for example. Just to let you know: it's not a traditional street map as such - it's sort of hand-drawn with lots of colours/notes and detailed smaller maps of tourist districts - but it has great insider tips and will guide you through the main streets and to the famous and less famous sights!

Enjoy the wonderful city of Bangkok!

Ken

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Forums

I agree. The Nancy Chandler map is the best map for getting to all the main attractions, markets, etc and it's very easy to follow. Just make sure that the one you buy is the most recent.:cool:

Edited by chrispb
error