NCL Gem alone with 4 year old?

MarLieb

Hi! I am thinking of taking my 4 1/2 year old son on NCL Gem out of NYC, but I would have to do it alone. It's a Nickelodeon cruise which I think he would enjoy and we could visit SeaWorld, Atlantis and NCL's island. I'm just wondering if anyone else has traveled alone with a small child? Any tips? Should I not do it?!!

No experience with this particular question, but I have done a fair amount of travel with 2 kids, by air and by car, without my husband.

Have you cruised with him before? Do you think he'll like going to NCL's Kid's Crew? I think I'd find it too intense/draining to be on a cruise ship without my spouse if my kids weren't interested in spending a few hours a day in Kid's Crew. (But I'm introverted and need frequent "recharge" time...your mileage may vary. :))

How would you handle meals? My kids prefer to eat at the Kid's Cafe in the buffet restaurant, and then they go to Kid's Crew while my husband and I get our meals elsewhere. The formal restaurant meals can take quite some time, and some kids would be begging to leave before the main course had even arrived.

Good luck deciding!

Absolutely!!!!!! I have cruised without my husband and TWO small kids (when they were younger) because my husband gets one week off vacation time and I don't. And I prefer it, as do my girls. ;) We have been on Gem (it was one that he happened to be on) and we could have easily done it without him.

I think cruising alone with the kids is the easiest form of travel because you have soooo many options, especially on a ship like Gem. You can go to the dining room at ANY time or not. You can go to specialty dining or NOT. You can go to the buffet. We loved the Blue Lagoon for snacks anytime.

The kids adored the kids crew. LOVED! And this doesn't happen on every ship.

If you are laid back and GO WITH FLOW, then I would say to go for it! If you are a high strung, high anxiety person who worries about what ifs - then don't take your child out of the country alone.

And I only say that because a couple of weeks ago I took my kids and their friends to an indoor waterpark for a girls only weekend and a blizzard hit. The waterpark was about 440 miles away round trip. My Inlaws were LIVID with me that I went. Calling every 5 minutes. Claiming I "ruined their weekend because they couldn't sleep being worried about us". This is the same woman who won't go to WalMart without her husband because she is afraid that she will lose her car in the parking lot. I don't live our lives being worried about losing my car in WalMart parking lot. ;)

Absolutely!!!!!! I have cruised without my husband and TWO small kids (when they were younger) because my husband gets one week off vacation time and I don't. And I prefer it, as do my girls. ;) We have been on Gem (it was one that he happened to be on) and we could have easily done it without him.

I think cruising alone with the kids is the easiest form of travel because you have soooo many options, especially on a ship like Gem. You can go to the dining room at ANY time or not. You can go to specialty dining or NOT. You can go to the buffet. We loved the Blue Lagoon for snacks anytime.

The kids adored the kids crew. LOVED! And this doesn't happen on every ship.

If you are laid back and GO WITH FLOW, then I would say to go for it! If you are a high strung, high anxiety person who worries about what ifs - then don't take your child out of the country alone.

And I only say that because a couple of weeks ago I took my kids and their friends to an indoor waterpark for a girls only weekend and a blizzard hit. The waterpark was about 440 miles away round trip. My Inlaws were LIVID with me that I went. Calling every 5 minutes. Claiming I "ruined their weekend because they couldn't sleep being worried about us". This is the same woman who won't go to WalMart without her husband because she is afraid that she will lose her car in the parking lot. I don't live our lives being worried about losing my car in WalMart parking lot. ;)

Your post made me laugh! I have become very go with the flow over the past few years (I really had to with my son) and I have no expectations that my son will even want to go in the Kids Club. I figure we'll get on the boat, enjoy what we can, TRY to get to SeaWorld and Atlantis, plus NCL's island and that's that! Part of my vacation is just not having to cook or clean! And yes, the cruise seems so easy. We live 20 miles north of NYC, so getting to the NYC port would be very easy.

I actually just travelled alone to Disneyland with him and we had fun. Some meltdowns and mommy didn't get to eat at any fine establishments, but still fun!

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I think I will do it!

Well then you sound like this will be perfect for you! Having no expectations and being flexible - then you will have a wonderful vacation! I have seen people EXPECT their young child to go to every specialty dining and then say they had a terrible time when their child had a meltdown after a long day. :( Expect the unexpected.

On one cruise I spent formal night eating ham sandwiches and coloring in our cabin with my youngest. Did I plan that - nope - but it was ok. She went to bed that night and I spent the evening on my balcony watching the moon on the water (I can't do that at home).

And you're right about the drive to the port, it's very easy. We love our NYC cruises because of it.

I can't imagine why you would have trouble alone with your child....it's just like being alone with them anywhere....you know how much your child can handle, so you do that much!

My only reservation, personally, would be not having an adult 'partner' to talk to! I mean, chatting with others on the ship is fine, but not quite the same as having an adult "buddy" to share the experience!

I can't imagine why you would have trouble alone with your child....it's just like being alone with them anywhere....you know how much your child can handle, so you do that much!

My only reservation, personally, would be not having an adult 'partner' to talk to! I mean, chatting with others on the ship is fine, but not quite the same as having an adult "buddy" to share the experience!

Good point!

I put a hold on a stateroom and my husband thinks he might be able to go along! Either way, I think I'll go for it. I'm sure parts of it will be fun and parts of it won't and I'm absolutely fine with that!

Thank you all so much!

My adult "buddy" comes in the form of other cruise critic members ;) I am obviously no wall flower and I jump on the roll calls pretty early. I met some of my best cruising friends that way. :)

What a GREAT idea!!! Maybe I can even find some families with other 4 year olds as I'm sure my son would like to make some friends!

Have you ever thought of becoming a travel agent specializing in cruises? You should!

• 1 year later...

November I will be crusing on Carnival with my 3 year old (turns 4 on the ship) son. I have no problem going places just me and him but this is a biggie. I've been on cruises before but I was childless and never ever considered the kids club. How is it on Carnival? Anyone else going in November with a child around that age?

I'm a go with the flow kinda girl. He is a go with the flow kinda kid. As long as he has his cars and a chance to watch Bubble Guppies he's happy!