Reluctant cruiser

onelove98

It's great that you are prepared to tolerate a cruise in order to make your wife happy, I'm sure she will appreciate this. I hope that you find things changed since you last cruised and are able to have an enjoyable time yourself too.

If you get home with your opinion of cruising unchanged, maybe the idea of your wife going with someone else has some merit?

She might...I sure wouldn't.:mad: If my significant other wasn't willing to join me for dinner, go sight-seeing ashore and participate in shipboard activities and entertainment he might as well stay home. He would actually DETRACT from my enjoyment of the cruise. I'm presuming that since she specifically chose a cruise vacation at least some of the above mentioned elements would be attractive to her. If the two of them will just be reading books in the cabin and ordering room service - what's the point?

Edited by ronandannette

why doesn't the wife find a friend to go with instead? nothing wrong with separate vacations when you have vastly different interests. I'd rather go with someone who wants to be there than with someone who has been forced.

I agree. The accommodation thing should be a 2 way street. I don't understand people who insist others do activities they don't like.

She might...I sure wouldn't.:mad: If my significant other wasn't willing to join me for dinner, go sight-seeing ashore and participate in shipboard activities and entertainment he might as well stay home. He would actually DETRACT from my enjoyment of the cruise. I'm presuming that since she specifically chose a cruise vacation at least some of the above mentioned elements would be attractive to her. If the two of them will just be reading books in the cabin and ordering room service - what's the point?

I had an absolutely fabulous time on my last cruise with virtually no ship-board activities and dining as a solo at a larger table for 8. I did have one excursion at our one port, but it was no where near as enjoyable as my time on the ship........in other words, there is a point to cruising even when you don't partake in activities and sight seeing ashore - for some people. Obviously not for you, though.

Still, I'm in the group that would have suggested separate vacations if she really wanted to cruise and he obviously doesn't.

I don't understand the point of this entire thread, which I don't believe anyway. Nice work though, you drew lots of people in.

O.k., you hate cruises, love to be alone and eat spiders on the streets of Cambodia.

A little bit contradictory though. An introvert traveling so much and hanging with the locals.

I was wondering this, too. I would think an introvert would prefer to be more of a homebody (like my FIL was) or someone who likes to go camping, which means being more with animals than a horde of people.

Starts out sounding like a great world traveler-who oddly cant get along with people-two ports, sounds like Carnival out of Tampa, goes to Grand Cayman (he wants to work-again is that not with people) and then to Cozumel-I would suggest if you aren't scared of the water-try El Cid day pass, that way you can lurk down alleys buy Cuban cigars, and arrive when you want to-actually El Cid is my favorite place in Cozumel, because it's a great day pass, that I can walk to) Great snorkeling too.

On your third post, you ask the modifiers to delete your post, because our answers were honest and boring to you, and you feel we should be dropped.

This is not the sounds or noise of an introvert, trust me I live with one, it's the sound of an ego.

Your thread was interesting to a point, someone else may read it and learn something, but until you really go off the deep end with insults, the "mods" will probably keep it active. Have a nice cruise.:D

Unless a post went missing, I don't get this post. The number of posts for this OP is 2 according to the info on the top right.

I think my boyfriend some 20 years ago was awfully glad I took to cruising -- he had been on his first cruise the year before he met me. And despite my track record of feeling iffy on three-hour cruises around the marina, I decided that going on ships are okay and can be lots of fun. We like seating at big tables with several other people (it seems like the best waiters get those) and I don't feel traditional dining is anything but something wonderfully unique to cruising. The one time we ended up with anytime dining (booked closed to the cruise and didn't clear the waitlist), neither of us liked it and were so glad to get traditional the next time. We introduced our girl to cruises at 23 months of age and at 15, she was on her 8th cruise, my 11th and hubby's 12th. We sometimes pair a cruise with a land stay. I research the ports and sometimes we just go into the port and explore, and sometimes we do book something through the cruise line.

We do have our own interests but it's nice that we can enjoy the same vacations.

Starts out sounding like a great world traveler-who oddly cant get along with people-two ports, sounds like Carnival out of Tampa, goes to Grand Cayman (he wants to work-again is that not with people) and then to Cozumel-I would suggest if you aren't scared of the water-try El Cid day pass, that way you can lurk down alleys buy Cuban cigars, and arrive when you want to-actually El Cid is my favorite place in Cozumel, because it's a great day pass, that I can walk to) Great snorkeling too.

On your third post, you ask the modifiers to delete your post, because our answers were honest and boring to you, and you feel we should be dropped.

This is not the sounds or noise of an introvert, trust me I live with one, it's the sound of an ego.

Agreed. To me, this sounded like, at first, "look at me, I'm a special snowflake who does stuff that most of you are scared to do, so don't lump me in together with you silly tourists". Then, I'd guess, the OP thought he'd get flamed so he could come back and reinforce the point that he's an uber world traveler and we're just a herd of sheep. Once he got nothing but civilized responses, he got bored, since he didn't get the desired effect.

Being an introvert does NOT mean that you don't like to be around other people or that you don't (or can't) get along with others; it does not mean you'd rather stay home than go out......that's a common falacy. In reality, being an introvert means that being social is not your primary way to feel energized and to relax. So, you might enjoy being around people for a while, but not as long or as often as an extrovert. Or that you are fine being around people, but don't want to interact a lot with them (so traveling and hanging out in towns is great and interesting, but you'd rather wander around on your own instead of chatting with people in the bar, that you'd rather try a local restaurant alone than start up a conversation with the people at the nearby table, etc.)

I"m an introvert, but you'd never know it from seeing me at work - I meet strangers daily and am not just interactive but friendly and proactive in talking with them. I'm good at my job but it's work, and interacting with people that way is tiring - not my idea of a fun time. I travel a fair bit and have been all over the world, but that doesn't make me an extrovert just because I'm comfortable being around a bunch of strangers on a plane or in a museum. On my personal time, I'm not the type of person to strike up a conversation with strangers or choose to share a tour guide......dining is the only exception (I don't like eating alone).

Very good points! I am also an introvert but nobody at work would know it either. As an introvert, I am more than happy to be alone with myself, where as so many people I know cannot stand it (to be alone with themselves, not me!). As an introvert I only have a couple of friends, which is just fine for me, while I hear other people talk about all the group activities that they do with their large circle of friends. On a cruise, where I am completely relaxed, I have no problem with the thousands of people that surround me, except for the muster drill which is claustrophobic, and the thought of the meet n greet which I always think of going to yet never seem to make it.