Tabyana Beach Snorkeling vs. Radical Adventures Catamaran Snorkeling

zdub86

First trip to Roatan and trying to decide on an excursion. I know we want to do snorkeling, just can't decide on beach snorkeling or a catamaran that goes further out about 45 minutes into the water. Prices are around the same.

Tabyana Beach Party & Snorkel through NCL - is the snorkeling gear included in the price? Or do we need to rent that separately? Looks like this one is an all-day beach pass, and you can just walk right into the water into the reef.

Radical Adventures Catamaran Excursion through http://www.svfreeradical.com - this includes snorkel gear, lunch, drinks, a 45 minute bus ride to the east end of the island, and then a 40 minute Catamaran ride to "Port Royal", says you are on the boat for a total of 4 hours. This one sounds more private and secluded with a smaller group which might be more appealing to us. Does anyone have experience using this company?

have used Radical Adventures, but they get good comment here and on TA. You'll certainly be away from the throngs that crawl around West Bay. Snorkeling there is okay. But IMO better off shore. You can even hire a small boat along the West Bay beaches to take you out or up to West End.

But unless you want to spend a large portion of your day on the beach, the RA tour would be an excellent way to see more of the island from the ocean and enjoy the day.

have used Radical Adventures, but they get good comment here and on TA. You'll certainly be away from the throngs that crawl around West Bay. Snorkeling there is okay. But IMO better off shore. You can even hire a small boat along the West Bay beaches to take you out or up to West End.

But unless you want to spend a large portion of your day on the beach, the RA tour would be an excellent way to see more of the island from the ocean and enjoy the day.

Thanks for this info. So you'd say the actual snorkeling is better off shore right near the beach?? Seems like the boat would take you further out more into the reef...

Thanks for this info. So you'd say the actual snorkeling is better off shore right near the beach?? Seems like the boat would take you further out more into the reef...

There are many schools of thought being that perception and past experience are involved. If one has been say to Bora Bora to snorkle their perception of very good snorkling is going to be far different that from those people who have only seen bits of Belize. Of one seeks colorful coral over large fish counts their enjoyment of one place over another is going to be different. I was out snorkeling in the Bocas Del Toro area a few years ago, I am stunned by the various colors of coral though I didn't see four fish.

I have been out with Free Radical, the staff is amazing, the food is yummy and the snorkling is good.

I have also spent weeks on West Bay Beach snorkeling daily between Infinity and the wall (were Tabyana is), never got bored.

I would make my choice on something other than the snorkeling, mostly because if your snorkeling experience is limited you are very much going to enjoy any of Roatan. Farther out doesn't necessarily mean better, mostly because so much of the surrounding waters have been over fished by the locals to feed their families.

For some reason, my comment got cut off I have NOT used RA. But Guest 2000's comments are very appropriate. And I respect his opine on things Roatan. So decide what you are seeking in your snorkeling adventure. If snorkeling is just a small part, maybe Tabayana is the better choice. If you want to snorkel forever and skip the crowds, RA could fit the bill.