Rainforest vs. Volcano Hike/Tour Company Recs

NicoleToussaint

Hi Everyone,

Planning a cruise for January 2015, and this will be our first time in St. Kitts. We are both avid hikers & runners and are interested in doing a hike while on the island. I've been reading a lot about the rainforest and volcano hikes. What would you suggest as the "better" of the two? Also, if anyone has some recs for tour companies that would be great. Have been seeing a lot of Thenford Grey, Royston, Javin etc, but can't make a decision! If possible, we would like to see a little bit of the island in addition to the hike, but the hike is the most important part. Thanks!

Check out all the pictures on Javin's website, you'll get a real good idea of his tour. We did it once and are going back this January and will go with him again. You get to see some of the island but not Brimstone or Romney Manor like the other tours.

https://myislandstours.shutterfly.com

We also did a rainforest hike as part of Thenford Grey's tour but that was more like a walk in the woods compared to where we went with Javin.

We haven't done a volcano hike on St Kitts yet so can't comment on that.

Edited by erniesband

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

Planning a cruise for January 2015, and this will be our first time in St. Kitts. We are both avid hikers & runners and are interested in doing a hike while on the island. I've been reading a lot about the rainforest and volcano hikes. What would you suggest as the "better" of the two? Also, if anyone has some recs for tour companies that would be great. Have been seeing a lot of Thenford Grey, Royston, Javin etc, but can't make a decision! If possible, we would like to see a little bit of the island in addition to the hike, but the hike is the most important part. Thanks!

I can second Javin's we had an awesome time, been 3 different times now. You get a little bit of everything with his tour, snorkeling, hiking in the rainforest, down some volcanic rocks by the ocean, all while getting to stop at all of the big touristy places as well. You get to see quite of the island too in the mean time like you wanted. He tells you all about growing up on the island and you can tell he really loves where he is and what he is doing. He is a great tour guide of the island, and you won't regret going on his tour! (:

We did the volcano hike through Poinciana Tours and had a great time! One of our most memorable excursions. Our guide was excellent and kept a close eye on the time to make sure we'd get back to the ship on time (and we did; we had plenty of time to shop around the port but we were filthy and covered in mud so we headed back on to the ship).

I think that when deciding which is better for you, volcano or rainforest, consider if there is anything else you want to do while you are there. The volcano hike really doesn't leave any time for sightseeing afterwards.

Check out all the pictures on Javin's website, you'll get a real good idea of his tour. We did it once and are going back this January and will go with him again. You get to see some of the island but not Brimstone or Romney Manor like the other tours.

https://myislandstours.shutterfly.com

We also did a rainforest hike as part of Thenford Grey's tour but that was more like a walk in the woods compared to where we went with Javin.

We haven't done a volcano hike on St Kitts yet so can't comment on that.

I can second Javin's we had an awesome time, been 3 different times now. You get a little bit of everything with his tour, snorkeling, hiking in the rainforest, down some volcanic rocks by the ocean, all while getting to stop at all of the big touristy places as well. You get to see quite of the island too in the mean time like you wanted. He tells you all about growing up on the island and you can tell he really loves where he is and what he is doing. He is a great tour guide of the island, and you won't regret going on his tour! (:

How long does it take for Javin to respond to emails? It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything :(

I also recommend Javin. Been out with him twice and considering a third. Honestly he's usually right on it. I actually just sent them an email regarding our upcoming trip.

He's the best. You won't be disappointment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've gone with Javin 3 times? We are considering it but we aren't 100% sure if we want to do a 3rd. We see/saw so much we loved it!

You've gone with Javin 3 times? We are considering it but we aren't 100% sure if we want to do a 3rd. We see/saw so much we loved it!

Yeah we have, each time was a little different, as you can expect. This past time we went, it was just my fiancée and I, so it It was like our own private tour (: we had the best time! Being it was just he two of us, we got to choose what we did for the most part. We asked to have more hike and less beach time and ended up going farther in the rainforest than the first times! Loved ever minute, even after the 3rd time doing it!