Allure Of The Seas.. May 2015..First Timers!

Debzee

Hi

My husband & I will be in Marseille as one of our ports. Can someone tell us where we will dock? We were thinking of shopping, beach & maybe a nice luncheon. What excursions do you recommend? Hoho bus the best means of transportation. All info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Robert & Debra

Hi

My husband & I will be in Marseille as one of our ports. Can someone tell us where we will dock? We were thinking of shopping, beach & maybe a nice luncheon. What excursions do you recommend? Hoho bus the best means of transportation. All info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Robert & Debra

I have mentioned before to one of your posts it would be in your best interest to read up on the board you post on some of the things other posters have done as well as reading some guide books about the area you will be in. Marseilles can be a gateway for some great trips into the Provence area which really should not be missed and there is a lot of info right here on this board for tours, DIY's etc as well as how to get around.Usually people do trips away from Marseille,but it has become more tourist friendly over the years with some good changes.If you are only going to be here one day I would try to do some sightseeing rather than the beach,but it is your cruise. Do some research and then come back and post some questions you may have.

cberge gives you good advice. You are not going to the Caribbean, you are going to the Mediterranean where the average sea temperature in May is 63°F.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cannes/seatemp

Marseille is at the same latitude as Kennebunkport, ME. Granted, the Med is warmer than the Atlantic because it is enclosed, but just the same, not the Caribbean.

Look at all the wonderful excursions available from Marseille. They will all be memorable and a lot better than freezing at the beach.

• 3 months later...
Hi

Thank you

Robert & Debra

Hi Robert & Debra: Just a heads up. The Allure is so amazing you will have a tough time leaving the ship ... perhaps you should wait until you arrive at the ports to decide what to do.

empehi

• 2 weeks later...

Debra and Robert,

First, you're in for a fabulous vacation ! We've been on the Oasis, Allures sister ship and Empehi is right, you'll love the Allure !

But to answer your question, I have to agree with the other posters. Take a tour outside of Marseille . In May, it will be too cool for the beach plus the "beach" is rocky. Also, a lot of crime, pick pockets, in Marseille.

RCCL has some nice tours, and reasonably priced to Aix and Cassis. Two places we plan to visit in July when we're on the Allure. We've been to Marseille on a cruise and we went to Les Baux (?). The most beautiful French village !

Another idea, if you're looking for a quaint "beach" town, go to Cassis. Lots of little places for lunch and for a few euros you can take one of their ferries to see the Calenques ( beautiful bright blue bays). You can get your tickets once you get there.

If you're wanting a beach day to relax on a sandy beach, I suggest when you're in LaSpezia, take RCCLs tour to Pisa & the beach. We've been to Florence and Cinque Terre so that's what we're doing.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Gina