Booking Rangitoto Island directly with Fullers

roquejo

On some destinations like Alaska, you only save a few bucks by booking directly with the provider than via the cruise line.

But to my surprise, the difference is significant here. If I book with the cruise line, the cost of Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour is $95, but if I book direct with Fullers, it only costs $60. Is the difference always that great in New Zealand?

In case I booked directly with Fullers, is it only walking distance from the cruise terminal to Downtown Auckland Ferry Terminal?

Edited by roquejo

The ferry terminal is very close to the cruise terminal, a very short walk.

Wish they'd had that tour when I went over to Rangitoto many years ago. We had to walk the whole way to the top from the wharf :eek: ;)

Enjoy your day trip. Do take lots of water if it's a warm day, and a shady hat.

When we were in New Zealand on HAL last year, in Auckland we booked a Fuller's tour, very close to the ships terminal and very easy to get to. I made the booking on line so I was all set to go once we berthed. Ours was just the Harbour Tour but it worked in well.

On some destinations like Alaska, you only save a few bucks by booking directly with the provider than via the cruise line.

But to my surprise, the difference is significant here. If I book with the cruise line, the cost of Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour is $95, but if I book direct with Fullers, it only costs $60. Is the difference always that great in New Zealand?

In case I booked directly with Fullers, is it only walking distance from the cruise terminal to Downtown Auckland Ferry Terminal?

Most cruise ships arriving in Auckland now dock on Queens Wharf. Relative to the Fullers terminal its a walk of about 2 minutes. The Rangitoto explorer tour is pretty popular so I think if you're arriving in high season (Dec-Feb) you might want to think about pre-booking rather than leaving it until the day, just in case.

Hope this helps.

Double check before you go as last week the island was closed due to work on the pier .

Also check price includes the ride part way up if you cannot walk far.

I did it a few months ago and while a bit tough in parts walking the whole way, very doable. I think there is close to a hundred stairs at the end but what a view.

I was sad I couldn't do the walk again last Friday but lucky for me I didn't as it literally poured with rain all afternoon.

thanks, based on the advisory:

Please be advised that Rangitoto Wharf will be closed for reconstruction from 21 May 2014 until approximately 22 August 2014.

So should be fine by Feb then.

One thing I hate is how come the cruise line overcharge by $35 dollars? I mean 5% or 10% is fine by me, but if is more expensive by more than 50% if you book via the cruise line, and you just talk a few minutes to the pier...

Any other shore excursions that is way way cheaper if you book direct for the rest of New Zealand?.. aside from Auckland, here are the other stops:

Bay of Islands

Tauranga

Napier

Picton

Wellington

Akaroa

Dunedin

One thing i'm interested is the Intimate Rotorua and Thermal Experience, it goes to Wai-O-Tapu, Te Puia, and lunch at Lakeland Queen. It is quite pricey via cruise line at $249.

Any idea which New Zealand tour provider offers this so I can book direct and save?

The Tour Provider is only paid about One-Third of what the cruise lines charge the pax! :eek:

True, but it seems that New Zealand has the highest price differece when book via cruise ship vs booking direct..

I can't rent a car as I don't have international driver's license and don't want to drive as well while I'm on a cruise vacation.