What's around the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Florida Departures

Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:59 AM.
#1
8 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We are flying in around 11 am on 12/3/17 for a cruise out of Miami on 12/4. I've already reserved a room at Sleep Inn for our family of 6 (DH and myself and our kids: 12, 10, 5, 4). What is nearby? Could we walk to Tarks?

Or...should we look for a different hotel? We were trying to avoid the expense of getting two rooms as many hotel rooms won't fit 6 people, but we will have a lot of time on the 3rd to relax and enjoy FLL. Without a car we need to be in a convenient location.
#2
Southeastern Wisconsin
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We stayed there back in Jan. 2015. We walked to the Miami Grill (for lunch) at the corner of Sheridan Street and S. Federal Hwy. We then went across the street to the Publix (for wine), and the to the Walgreens that is next to the hotel. During the day, the area seemed fine. If you are thinking of walking to Tarks, that's roughly a 3/4 of a mile walk there. For dinner, we called a cab and went to the Quarterdeck Restaurant at Dania Beach Pier. If you get there early enough, you can watch the cruise ships leave Fort Lauderdale.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#3
16,800 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Have you looked at Doubletree Gallery One in Fort Lauderdale?

On your date, you should be able to get some nice places in the city. Will make your stay more enjoyable with things in easy walking distance, including the beach and/or trolley to get there.

Check out Hyatt Place convention center on valuetrips.com This includes breakfast and a quick ride to the port. Both of these choices are good choices for families.
#4
Southern California by way of Kentucky
19,258 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by eandj
Have you looked at Doubletree Gallery One in Fort Lauderdale?

On your date, you should be able to get some nice places in the city. Will make your stay more enjoyable with things in easy walking distance, including the beach and/or trolley to get there.

Check out Hyatt Place convention center on valuetrips.com This includes breakfast and a quick ride to the port. Both of these choices are good choices for families.
Hyatt Place is usually a good choice (we just stayed there this past March with extended family)...however...they would need two connecting rooms and I believe using ValueTrips there will be an extra charge of $10.00 per night for that 3rd person in the room...also the connecting rooms are double beds only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2017 RCI Harmony: May 2016 RCI Adventure B2B: September 2015 RCI Radiance: March 2015 RCI Mariner: Oct 2014 RCI Jewel: May 2014 RCI Radiance: Oct 2013 RCI Oasis: May 2013 RCI Radiance: Feb 2012 PCL Sapphire: Aug 2011 RCI Liberty: Mar 2011 RCI Liberty: Aug 2010 RCI Jewel: Mar 2010 RCI Independance: May 2009 RCI Radiance: Jan 2009 RCI Independance: Oct 2007 RCI Vision: Oct 2006 RCI Vision: Oct 2005 RCI Vision: Oct 2004 RCI Vision: Aug 1997 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1995 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1994 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1985 Azure: June 1984 Azure:
#5
16,800 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Ashland
Hyatt Place is usually a good choice (we just stayed there this past March with extended family)...however...they would need two connecting rooms and I believe using ValueTrips there will be an extra charge of $10.00 per night for that 3rd person in the room...also the connecting rooms are double beds only.
I would assume the OP would need two rooms with four kids at any hotel. Or at minimum a two bedroom unit at Gallery One. Hotels have a max.
#6
8 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We are able to get one room at the Sleep Inn. Two queens and a sleeper sofa, max 6 people for $129 total.

We don't have Uber or Lyft yet in our area (and no one uses taxis around here), but I've researched them and we are looking at ~$15 to get to the beach. We can easily grab a ride to the beach, eat at a restaurant there and then Uber back.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Forums mobile app
#7
16,800 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by fourandtwo
We are able to get one room at the Sleep Inn. Two queens and a sleeper sofa, max 6 people for $129 total.

We don't have Uber or Lyft yet in our area (and no one uses taxis around here), but I've researched them and we are looking at ~$15 to get to the beach. We can easily grab a ride to the beach, eat at a restaurant there and then Uber back.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Forums mobile app
If using uber, you will need to use uberXL. ( not X) And when you book a ride, double check that there is room for 6 passengers even in that choice. Perhaps have the hotel recommend a ride suitable for your family.
#8
181 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
We spent the afternoon at Quarterdeck watching all of the beach, ship & boat activity! It was great food & all kinds of activity. Now I am trying to find a similar place in Miami!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sunshine ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ January 2017
Carnival Conquest ~ Southern Caribbean ~ February 2016
Carnival Sunshine ~ Western Caribbean ~ January 2015
Carnival Breeze ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ February 2014
Norwegian Sun ~ Western Caribbean ~ February 2012