Dress - Pack light and use the laundry package

jwgripp@aol.com

My contribution will focus around the one topic I did not see covered in the cruise critic reviews –clothing suggestions. I am male and would like to travel as light as possible, avoid excess baggage charges, but dress appropriately.

The key is to arrange for laundry service with your travel agent before the trip. This service must be arranged in advance and it costs about 200USD per cabin for a two week cruise aboard the PG. Laundry in by 1030 will be back in time for dinner that night. The service is pretty “traditional” so do not launder complex fabrics or clothing. Upon unpacking they can also press your clothes.

My plan for next the Society Islands trip- For shore excursions I will bring a ball cap, Henley style T shirts (they are cooler and slightly more dressy than a regular t shirt), and pair of shorts that can double as swim wear. For the shorts, fast drying is key. For my feet I will wear strapped sandals and bring a pair of short coral booties if beach, snorkeling, or a wet shore entry is in the plan. If you are going hiking in the interior change the shoes to tennis shoes and bring mosquito repellant.

For lounging aboard the ship during the day, I plan to wear a Polo shirt with cotton shorts and my strapped sandals.

There is a slightly more formal feel to the after sunset dress and your day wear will likely need freshening any way. Pressed cotton aloha shirts and long Dockers style pants, with closed toe shoes are appropriate in all dining areas and very comfortable. Socks optional. We travelled in May.

Some islands (e.g. Fiji) have extremely conservative dress codes so long pants (ankle length skirt for ladies) may be required on some shore excursions. Combine that with a potential wet landing when considering your pants selection.

In Summary

3 Henley style shirts

2 swimmable shorts

3 Polo shirts

2 dressier shorts

2-3 pairs of Dockers style long pants

3-5 Aloha shirt (3 is plenty, more for variety on longer cruise)

Dressier shoe for evening wear

Tennis shoes

Strapped sandals

Coral booties, short

Sun glasses

Ball cap

Edited by jwgripp@aol.com

My better half said there should be a guide like this for women also. So is a lady wants to pack light like this what would be the bare min ?

Just off the top of my head:

- two bathing suits (so one can be drying)

- two or three pair of shorts or capris for day wear

- one long-sleeved loose shirt for sun protection during the day

- a pareo (or buy one) or other beach cover-up

- one long skirt for evening

- one long dress for evening (casual, sunwear, optional)

- three nice tops for evening

- one or two nice pair of lightweight pants for evening

- half a dozen t-shirts or other short-sleeved shirts for day wear

- dressy sandals for evening (I use Switchflops so I can change their appearance)

- sports sandals

- flip flops

- water shoes

- a silk wrap for cool dining rooms

- some jewelery to accessorize

Nice! Thanks !

Do they press your clothes after cleaning them or is that something that you have to tell them to do?

How much do you tip them for this besides the 200.00?

The laundry is full service, everything including T shirts is pressed. You can also have them press clean clothes as you pull them from your bags.

The maid took care of this and you can, if you wish, tip her at the end of the cruise. I did not tip the cleaners per se.

Hangers for shirts, not for underwear.

Edited by jwgripp@aol.com

We did 3 nights in Moorea followed by a 7 day PG cruise. Each of us had a small rollie suitcase and a small personal backpack. We even took our snorkels and shory fins. We did not use the laundry package. We spent the days in our bathing suits (I took 3) and/or microfiber t-shirts and shorts, which all rinse and dry easily. Linen mix-and-match separates for the evenings.

Just off the top of my head:

- two bathing suits (so one can be drying)

- two or three pair of shorts or capris for day wear

- one long-sleeved loose shirt for sun protection during the day

- a pareo (or buy one) or other beach cover-up

- one long skirt for evening

- one long dress for evening (casual, sunwear, optional)

- three nice tops for evening

- one or two nice pair of lightweight pants for evening

- half a dozen t-shirts or other short-sleeved shirts for day wear

- dressy sandals for evening (I use Switchflops so I can change their appearance)

- sports sandals

- flip flops

- water shoes

- a silk wrap for cool dining rooms

- some jewelery to accessorize

I am short and look horrible in long skirts. Would I be ok wearing nice slacks every evening?