Mirrorless

APS-C (Fuji, Sony, Samsung) everything else being equal IN THEORY should have better low light performance because of the bigger sensor.

It's a good theory...:)

Disney's Haunted Mansion ISO12800 1/25s Hand-held from a moving ride .

p956402425-5.jpg

Arizona starscape ISO6400 10s

p968451891-5.jpg

I have been very pleased with the A6000's low-light performance

Dave

On a similar topic as Mike, I also hit up the Disney dark rides with my A6000 - ISO12,800, F1.8, handheld moving ride:

original.jpg

High ISO performance on these newer cameras is spectacular - and mirrorless APS-C loses nothing to APS-C DSLR in this regard, which is nice if you're coming from a DSLR and have those levels of expectation.

Don't discount the Sony A6000 as an option. Smaller and lighter than the OM-1 with a 50% larger sensor and it plays very well with adapted Nikon lenses. It's also several hundred dollars less expensive.

Just sayin...;)

Dave

Dave convinced me through his review - reluctant as I was having a NEX7 - to get an A6000. Took only that camera with the kit lens plus a Sony 70-200 zoom on a cruise through the Panama Canal.

Terrific camera! Low light coverage was exceptional.

Now to figure out whether the NEX7 is expendible!

Thanks zackiedawg! I am definitely going to look in the Sony now. Not sure that I am going to need a lot of lenses due to my existing Nikon system but you just never know - I might get hooked on the mirrorless!

I have cruised with sony a77 just great, along with the Tamron 18-270 lens very good all purpose lens. just purchased the new Tamron 16-300 which should be even better.

Will be using my a77 and 16-300 on our next cruise in Med. in 2015

The 18-270 or the 16-300 are very good all purpose lens, no need to carry any other

Mirrorless great

Regards Ron

• 1 month later...
Don't discount the Sony A6000 as an option

. . . it plays very well with adapted Nikon lenses. . .

Dave

i too am looking at dumping the Canon T4i and associated gear in favor of lighter, smaller and more travel friendly. . .

Can you elaborate more on the "plays well...with Nikon lenses" comment? I assume you need some sort of adapter between the Nikon mount and the Sony E-mount. I'm not a Nikon expert, are there certain series of lenses you're talking about? Auto focus or older manual focus Nikon lenses? Are any of the automatic functions preserved through the a6000, or does it become a manual focus "match needle" camera?

Costco has the a6000 with the 16-50 and 55-210 lenses plus some other incidentals for $950 through midnight the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and I'll probably pull the trigger, but I'm intrigued by the "plays well" comment.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

i too am looking at dumping the Canon T4i and associated gear in favor of lighter, smaller and more travel friendly. . .

Can you elaborate more on the "plays well...with Nikon lenses" comment? I assume you need some sort of adapter between the Nikon mount and the Sony E-mount. I'm not a Nikon expert, are there certain series of lenses you're talking about? Auto focus or older manual focus Nikon lenses? Are any of the automatic functions preserved through the a6000, or does it become a manual focus "match needle" camera?

Costco has the a6000 with the 16-50 and 55-210 lenses plus some other incidentals for $950 through midnight the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and I'll probably pull the trigger, but I'm intrigued by the "plays well" comment.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Great deal on the A6000! I have both of the lenses in that bundle and they are quite capable.

You will need an adapter (several available) to attach Nikon lenses to the A6000 and they will be manual focus only. The good news is that focus peaking is available both on the rear LCD and the viewfinder making manual focus quick and accurate.

I still shoot with my A77 DSLR for some things but the A6000 has usurped both the A77 and my older NEX-7 as the go-to camera.

BTW, I just picked up the SAL5018 50mm f/1.8 lens and it is stunningly sharp right from f/1.8 and at $300, outperforms lenses costing 3x as much.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Great deal on the A6000! I have both of the lenses in that bundle and they are quite capable.

You will need an adapter (several available) to attach Nikon lenses to the A6000 and they will be manual focus only. The good news is that focus peaking is available both on the rear LCD and the viewfinder making manual focus quick and accurate.

I still shoot with my A77 DSLR for some things but the A6000 has usurped both the A77 and my older NEX-7 as the go-to camera.

BTW, I just picked up the SAL5018 50mm f/1.8 lens and it is stunningly sharp right from f/1.8 and at $300, outperforms lenses costing 3x as much.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Thanks for the response, Dave. Just pulled the trigger. I'll have some left over cash after selling all my canon gear for more goodies. . .I'll need to check out the 50mm, but the 12 mm Rokinon on looks interesting. Love your pictures with the A6000 review on your website, especially the milky way shot. Even looks like you picked up a couple satellites in the exposure in the white "lines" on the right side of the image.

Based on your posts here, I'm willing to bet you've forgotten more about photography than I'll ever know, but after I get a chance to play with the A6000 a bit I'll post some thoughts here, and maybe some pics.

Chuck

I'm sure you'll have fun with it Chuck. The A6000 and it's inevitable future upgrades have really put the power of a DSLR in our jacket pockets. The A77MII that was just released would have had me checking the couch cushions for change a couple of years ago but I have developed a strong fondness for the size and weight of the NEX/Ax000 series and find myself reluctant to invest any more money in the larger cameras unless there's a game-changing breakthrough.

Since you just ordered a new camera, the following may be redundant...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave

Thanks for the response, Dave. Just pulled the trigger. I'll have some left over cash after selling all my canon gear for more goodies. . .

Chuck

Dave is a bad influence! :-)

I got the 12mm - which I am using in the kitchen now - being a bothersome to the cooks - but Dave also had high praises for the Sigma 19mm and 30mm which I picked up when B&H or Adorama had a 2 for one sale.

I got my NEX7 back from the repair shop but I prefer using the A6000!

Dave is a bad influence! :-)

I got the 12mm - which I am using in the kitchen now - being a bothersome to the cooks - but Dave also had high praises for the Sigma 19mm and 30mm which I picked up when B&H or Adorama had a 2 for one sale.

I got my NEX7 back from the repair shop but I prefer using the A6000!

I promise not to review any more items until after the holidays...uh, except maybe the SEL5018 50mm f/1.8 which is doing Disney with me this weekend. I used it quite a bit at the wedding last weekend and I must say that it was a bargain when I bought it and a steal after I used it!

A6000, f/2.2, 1/50, ISO 3200, No Flash, crap light.

p1011344459-5.jpg

A6000, f/2.2, 1/30, ISO 3200, No Flash, same crap light.

p1070586657-5.jpg

It really, truly is a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Edited by pierces

I promise not to review any more items until after the holidays...uh, except maybe the SEL5018 50mm f/1.8

Pressed the return key before posting :-(

I bought a 50mm Canon f1.8 with the Sony adapter for my Sony - and of course it requires manual focusing and a steady hand (no stablizer).

The Sony 50mm 1.8 has both auto focusing and stablizer ...

Dave - you did it again!

[quote name='pierces']Yup... the two lenses retail for $500-ish by themselves.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Dave!

Merry Christmas to me!

I am excited to play with the camera before a trip to the Rose Bowl. I'm a group tour guide, and we are taking a Texas HS marching band. I'll post some pics when I return.