Renting a car in Kona

MLindaG

I've seen conflicting information and I would like to hear from anyone who has rented recently. On the Discount Hawaii Car Rental site it says there are no shuttles to airport location in Kona and you must take a taxi. On another Transportation to and from the airport site it says Shuttles are sent to the port in Kona by all major car rental companies. I tried to rent from the closer to the port location but they are closed the day we are in port. So will I have to take a taxi or will they have a shuttle to and from the airport. I saw where the cost for a taxi from the port to the airport is approximately $22 - 26/15 min.

On DHCR's site, it shows that Brand 5 (Enterprise) has a courtesy shuttle that you phone for upon arrival at the pier.

Also, the most convenient location is right across the street from the pier (Thrifty, at the King Kam hotel, which is Brand 6 on DHCR's site) ... more expensive, but saving the shuttle time both ways might be worth it.

We rented from Hertz in Kona. The arrangement was that we were to call Hertz once we were on-shore (Kona is a tender port). However, when we landed we saw the Hertz bus already there, and looking ready to depart. We sprinted to it and caught it.

Hertz only makes 3 return trips from the airport to the pier: at 2:30, 3:30 and 4:15. I assume that if you don't get one of those, you're on your own to get back to the ship. You'd probably have to take the Hertz shuttle to the airport terminal and get a taxi from there.

Here's my complete post about renting cars from the POA cruise in Hawaii

I tried the thrifty but it says they are closed on the day we are going to be there. Thanks for the info.......I will try Enterprise.

I was able to get a quote for September 3rd which I think is when you're there based on the cruise info in your signature. (I'd be surprised if they are closed when a cruise ship is in port.) Perhaps try adjusting the hours ... maybe you entered a time that was too early? 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. should work. Also, it's now a Dollar location (you'll be redirected on Thrifty's site.)

Maybe I just didn't get redirected! I did make a reservation with enterprise which I did twice as I forgot my dh's work uses National and I saved an additional $13 :D by going through his work rather than the DHCR site.........so I cancelled the original one made through DHCR......Thanks for the information and I'll see what the price is for Dollar (at the former Thrifty). :)

You were totally right it probably was because the time I put in they weren't open........so I did go there but never got redirected to Dollar I could have made a reservation with Thrifty but geez.......I'm not sure I want to pay 2 1/2x more than the rate I got with enterprise........:eek: Is it really worth that much more??

You were totally right it probably was because the time I put in they weren't open........so I did go there but never got redirected to Dollar I could have made a reservation with Thrifty but geez.......I'm not sure I want to pay 2 1/2x more than the rate I got with enterprise........:eek: Is it really worth that much more??

2.5 times more is a lot extra to pay ... I'd stick with the other reservation if it includes a shuttle. What location is it ... at the airport or closer to the pier?

Closer to the pier I believe.......it said "non-airport: 74-5583 Luhia St." They said to call and they will pick you up and take you to get the car. $37.37 vs $105 if I remember correctly! :)

I plugged that address into Google maps and it's definitely closer to the pier.

Hope you have an amazing time! :)

I agree!!! I am staying in Maui for a week before the cruise and I just decided to check my car rental there for the week........I just saved myself an additional $46..........:D The car rental prices change all the time! Kind of crazy.......now I feel like I should check the prices in Hilo and Kaui where I booked car rental as well........:cool:

Definitely keep checking ... I find now that the prices for rentals in Hawaii 'bottom out' about 3-4 weeks out, but on one trip (5 years ago, when the economy was still in turmoil) prices kept going down until the day before the trip.

Sounds like a wonderful trip ... do you have your plans all worked out for Maui?

Enjoy!:)

Unless it's changed, we always rented at King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel -- Dollar has a location there.

It is located immediately adjacent to the tender pier. Be sure to reserve

No shuttles, no hassel :)

Aloha