Freedom vs Magic + Route Questions

footballfu45

Hello Everyone! It's been a LONG time since I've been on these boards. The first cruise my (now) wife and I went on was the Legend in 2010 out of Tampa. It's actually where I proposed (picture attached). Anyway, we went to Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel (Couldn't tender into Cayman) and had an incredible time. Roatan was by far our favorite port (and probably our favorite place we've ever been). Since then we've gone to an AI in Cancun and several other places, but we've never had as much fun as we did on the cruise. Here comes our dilemma:

We live in Texas now, and so we're thinking about doing a week long cruise out of Galveston in January. Our choices are taking the Freedom or Magic, and the routes we can do are Cayman, Cozumel, and Montego Bay, or Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. I have no idea which option would be best, so I'm looking for some opinions from people who have gone on both of these ships and/or routes.

About us: We now have a little boy who will be 16 months in January. Leaving him at home is not an option as our family lives too far away, and we wouldn't want to leave him for a whole week anyway. He's pretty easygoing and there's the potential another couple will come with us and help. We enjoy the shows and piano bar, so we will likely make use of Night Owls once or twice. He won't be potty trained, but I doubt he'll throw any fits over not being able to swim as long as we can on shore.

Magic Pros:

Waterworks (for us)

Cove Balcony!

Price

Freedom Pros:

2.0 Upgrades (especially Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana)

Smaller Ship (and potentially less crowded?)

As far as routes go, we loved the route we went on, and I'm sure we'd have a great time again; however, we're always open to seeing new places (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman).

If there are things I should consider regarding the ports or ships, please let me know! Appreciate any info you all give. Thanks!

proposal.jpg.b1eac4d30d941e6414d0cf75120def6d.jpg

Your questions leave me torn!! I have done the Belize, HOnduras, Cozumel run on the Magic and loved it - I never felt that the ship was crowded at all - there is plenty of space for everyone. The spa package is also wonderful. However, I have sailed recently on the Triumph and can't wait to introduce my family to the 2.0 upgrades on that ship next March. We are doing the Grand Caymen route on the Breeze after it transitions to Galveston and has the best of both worlds, the wonderful spa, 2.0 upgrades and hopefully, the space of the Magic to not feel crowded.

Hi,

I have been on both ships and have done both itineraries several times. I prefer the Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary. I like both ships equal so I would choose the Magic since you said it has a better price. The Cove Balcony is AMAZING! So close to the water and it has great views. Yes, Magic is a little bit more crowded but it doesn't bother me. In Jamaica, if you plan to do an excursion book through Carnival. Jamaica isn't the best place to go out on your own.

Congratulations on your engagement!!!

I would probably choose the Magic. They have the Waterworks area, and even though your little guy is under two, I am pretty sure he can still go splash around in the "squirt" area. If am wrong, someone will correct me.

I would MUCH prefer the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary.

That's just my opinion.

No desire to do the other one.......

Magic is a newer ship with more bells and whistles.

Let us know what you deicide!:D:D

I have been on both and would choose the Magic every time over the Freedom. She is a bigger ship and thus, more people, but did not feel more crowded to me.

You mentioned you like going to the shows. The Magic still has the traditional shows vs. the Playlist Productions on Freedom. I personally don't care for short, flashy lights, and computer generated backdrops that the Playlist shows have, but some enjoy them.

The 2.0 upgrades of Guy's burgers and Blue Iguana burritos - yes they are good, but not as good as burgers and burritos I can get at my favorite spots at home. I found the burrito bar on Magic actually better than Blue Iguana - but food is subjective. Magic also has several food areas that Freedom doesn't (like Cucina del Capitano, Tandoor, Oceanside BBQ).

The Magic has the "pros" that you just can't get on the Freedom. Rope Course, Waterworks and a full Spa to name a few. Cove balconies are awesome too - so cool to be that close to the ocean.

Here's my take on comparing the two classes of ships. Freedom (Conquest Class) is more of an "inside" ship, meaning that I feel like I am inside all the time. Magic is more of an "outside" ship, meaning I feel like I am outside more. We recently had to make the same decision as you are having to make for our February cruise, but chose Magic for a few reasons. 1. The outdoorsy feel 2. The Lanai deck and 3. She is leaving Galveston next year, so it would be our last chance to sail on her one more time.

As for itinerary, the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel route wins my vote every time. We've done the route many times and do our own excursions.

Also, keep in mind that January / February can get foggy in Galveston, so sometimes things don't always go as planned.

Hi,

I have been on both ships and have done both itineraries several times. I prefer the Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary. I like both ships equal so I would choose the Magic since you said it has a better price. The Cove Balcony is AMAZING! So close to the water and it has great views. Yes, Magic is a little bit more crowded but it doesn't bother me. In Jamaica, if you plan to do an excursion book through Carnival. Jamaica isn't the best place to go out on your own.

Ditto, both ships both itineraries. I also prefer MoBay, GC and Coz. Grand Cayman is my favorite of all the trips I have been fortunate enough to experience. I always feel very safe there and it is so easy to get around. It makes a great land based destination too. I also agree with cruiserfanatic about taking a Carnival excursion in Jamaica.

I honestly think I prefer the Freedom. I have been on the Magic three times and only once on the Freedom. (But also twice on the Conquest). I like the intimacy of the Freedom. Guys and Blue Iguana are also a plus.

Whichever you pick have a wonderful trip Cruising with a little one is very different but still a great vacation.

We haven't been on the Magic yet, but we are sailing the Cozumel, Cayman, Jamaica route in December. I'm looking forward to the ship, and we love Cozumel and The Caymans. We haven't been to Jamaica before, so we shall see. :o

We have sailed on the Freedom, but that is before the upgrades, we liked the ship very much. We have also done the Cozumel, Belize, Honduras. We really loved it. Belize has amazing snorkeling, but you do tender in, and it can be sketchy if you leave the port area on your own.

We chose the Magic over Freedom, because we haven't been to Jamaica, we have sailed the Freedom route before, and Magic is a newer boat.

I don't know if I helped. Good luck with your decision. Have a great trip no matter what.

We have sailed on both the Magic and the Freedom several times each and I love them both for different reasons. My favorite things on the Magic are Tandoori, Cucina del Capitan, Waterworks and the Cloud 9 Spa. Love the cove balconies too but the trade off is that the ship feels a little more crowded and although there is the outdoor space on deck 5, the Lanai, it is surrounded by the plexiglass partitions so I feel it loses its connection with the sea. My favorites on the Freedom are the Fish and Chips, Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina along with the Promenade area on deck 3. There is a great "hidden" hot tub that can be entered through the ladies or mens locker rooms in the work out area. I love Roatan, so would choose that route every time. Little French Key in Roatan is amazing. No matter which one you choose, I hope you have a great cruise!