Beach Snorkeling on Roatan Help

miss_rach

Arriving at MB 15 July on Carnival. We're there from 0900 - 6PM. WE are looking for some good places to snorkel, we'd rather bus/cab to a beach and go out from the beach. We have our own gear and are experienced swimmers. If there's a place with restrooms, a bar to get drinks/food would be better but if not that's ok.

Recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Took an excursion there because the snorkeling was supposed to be great - it was NOT! I had my own equipment which was good because they had no rentals. The water was really shallow & all I could see were the plants I kept hitting with my hands while swimming. The amazing reef the excursion guide told us about may have been further out at the end of the roped off swimming area, but I'll never know because another person on the excursion drowned in that area right after I left.

Apparently NOT ONE of the employees went into the water to help the man & it fell to his family to haul his body back to the beach. There was no water rescue equipment, not even a boogie board to help get him back to shore. There were no AEDs or any other life-saving equipment, & when the EMTs finally got there, they didn't have any of the equipment the doctor who came to help needed to help the man.

Frankly, the reports of the lack of action on the part of the staff doesn't surprise me. The excursion guide spent the entire time he was there sitting at the bar talking on his cell phone, the bartender had his back to the water, the gift shop attendant was in a building behind the open air restaurant & a man dressed like a pirate was straightening up the empty lounges on the beach when he wasn't busy taking and delivering food orders in the open-air restaurant.