Time to arrive at Carnival Cruiseport New York

Bren's Mom

Hoping some of you can help! I volunteer for a non profit and we've planned a trip for a recipient on the Carnival Sunshine. Embarkation starts at 1pm according to Carnival's website. They have been given priority boarding.

The client wishes to leave her home in CT, about 75 miles from cruise port, at 9 or 9:30am.

Our limo driver, whom we use regularly, suggests 11:30.

I'm ok with asking him to pick up earlier, but I think 9 is way too early.

What happens when people arrive super early? Is there a place for them to wait? I cannot ask the limo driver to wait an hour or two without paying him.

Any thoughts, input, suggestions? I've cruised, but we always fly south. So I've never driven. I've always just gotten to the cruise port at the very beginning of the embarkation period.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know where in CT the client is, but Litchfield county (~60 miles to NYC) takes about 90 minutes. So let's say that leaving at 9:30 would put her around 11:30. That would give her 90 minutes of waiting until embarkation begins.

The cruise terminal is like most others - a huge waiting area with seats. If she arrives early she can check in and wait to embark inside the terminal.

Leaving when the limo driver suggests would get her to the terminal after embarkation has already begun. Since your cruiser has priority embarkation, they will be one of the first people on the ship if they are there at 1. This will give them time to explore the ship and grab a bite at the buffet or dining room before the ship is crowded with everyone else.

In this instance, I would say that as long as they don't mind waiting, there is nothing wrong with getting to the terminal early.

She is probably very excited and knows she won't rest anyways. We always arrive early, even when we stay at a local hotel. They say they start embarkation at 1 however I have been on earlier. Just split the difference and say 10:30. You never know if there will be an roadway accident you may encounter. Does she mind waiting and has not health concerns that would make waiting difficult?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a weekday.

And since they're going the same direction as rush hour, it will take longer the earlier they leave.

I was thinking 10:30a too. I'll see if I can sell her on that. I think she'll regret the wait if she goes earlier.

Thank you so much for the replies!