Google Map of Suggested Trip around the island of Oahu

We Go Cruise Brah

Aloha all,

Since I see many people asking whats the best way to drive around the island of Oahu, I made a quick Google Map of one possible route you may take. I placed markers at scenic sites and freeway changes. I've lived in Oahu for 15 years and this is the way I take anyone who comes to visit me around the island. It starts and ends in Waikiki and skips the west side of the island where there isnt much to see besides Ko'olina and the Disney Resort.

If you have questions as to where the famous places to stop are along this route, then I can add them in if people are interested, like the shrimp truck, shave ice places, best beaches, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zTrYtiSGb6ms.k9fRp8OE-ZbE

We've been back about a week & want to say Thank You. Your map is great & was VERY helpful.

a

• 5 months later...
You're welcome! Saw another post on the 1st page asking for a trip map so I'm using you as an excuse to bump this again ;)

Just ran across your map when searching for Oahu info on the boards. This is a great resource...thank you for taking the time to make it!

Looking forward to our visit this year...we're spending a week post cruise on Oahu (in November), and have never visited Hawaii before.

Mahalo!!!:):):)

Just ran across your map when searching for Oahu info on the boards. This is a great resource...thank you for taking the time to make it!

Looking forward to our visit this year...we're spending a week post cruise on Oahu (in November), and have never visited Hawaii before.

Mahalo!!!:):):)

Thanks! Glad it may help you. Feel free to ask any questions.

Side note, they did in fact put up barriers by the Turtle Beach so cant park there anymore! :(

Thanks! Glad it may help you. Feel free to ask any questions.

Side note, they did in fact put up barriers by the Turtle Beach so cant park there anymore! :(

Is there an alternative place to park and walk to the turtle beach, or is it completely not a possibility now? We will have a few days on the north shore this summer and would like to check it out.

Is there an alternative place to park and walk to the turtle beach, or is it completely not a possibility now? We will have a few days on the north shore this summer and would like to check it out.

There are places to park further up and down the highway, you'll just have to walk a bit more and get lucky with a spot. The barriers were a stupid idea (IMO) they didn't do anything to improve the situation. People want to see the turtles. What they should really do is shift the highway off to the side and have the parking lot on the beach side of the street! Problem solved!

There are places to park further up and down the highway, you'll just have to walk a bit more and get lucky with a spot. The barriers were a stupid idea (IMO) they didn't do anything to improve the situation. People want to see the turtles. What they should really do is shift the highway off to the side and have the parking lot on the beach side of the street! Problem solved!

Thanks for the update... we will be visiting in a couple of weeks and I'm sure my wife and I would like to stop and see the turtles too... we'll look for the alternative parking spots.

Take care

Yes, thanks for that update. Is the alternate parking you mention just parking along the road?

Also, do you have any experience with Kawela Bay Beach Park? Looks like it's a little walk down to the water, and no parking.

Thanks!! :)

Aloha all,

Since I see many people asking whats the best way to drive around the island of Oahu, I made a quick Google Map of one possible route you may take. I placed markers at scenic sites and freeway changes. I've lived in Oahu for 15 years and this is the way I take anyone who comes to visit me around the island. It starts and ends in Waikiki and skips the west side of the island where there isnt much to see besides Ko'olina and the Disney Resort.

If you have questions as to where the famous places to stop are along this route, then I can add them in if people are interested, like the shrimp truck, shave ice places, best beaches, etc.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zTrYtiSGb6ms.k9fRp8OE-ZbE

Thanks so much for the amazing Oahu driving map. Your time and effort are much appreciated by myself and many others who will put it to good use. Also, thanks to Slomotion for the printable versions. CruiseCritic Rocks!!

I am happy to hear how much everyone enjoys the North Shore and seeing the turtles, but "Problem Solved."? I apologize for the rest of my response if you were just joking. This is a beautiful part of the island of Oahu and "Keep the country, country" is the slogan used by many who favor not developing the North Shore for tourists. The barriers effect locals who want to use the beach as well as tourists, but many are willing to walk a bit in order not to block the beauty of this beach by a parking lot. JMO Cherie

Edited by cccole

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What is the scenic point at "F"? I can't figure it out!!

Thank you!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The description on the map says,

"If you want an amazing view of this side of the island, you can drive up through this residential area and take pictures from the top. Take Laukahi St up the hill. There's many other scenic points along the way though so don't worry if you skip this."

Here's a close up of where you would make the left turn to drive up Laukahi St.

Edited by Susan-M

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for that. It's weird that I don't have any descriptions on the map when I open it. I just went point to point on google maps and tried to figure out what the scenic points were and then add things along the way.

Thank you!

That is strange ... are you just seeing the map and not the white box titled "Possible Route Around Oahu" with the list of all the stops?

Also, if you click on the pinpoint, does an info box pop up? I'm getting both of those when I open up the original link ... but maybe your browser isn't compatible with google maps?

That is strange ... are you just seeing the map and not the white box titled "Possible Route Around Oahu" with the list of all the stops?

Also, if you click on the pinpoint, does an info box pop up? I'm getting both of those when I open up the original link ... but maybe your browser isn't compatible with google maps?

Well now that I've actually clicked on the pinpoints, I see some information lol woops! I was assuming the list on the left was the information! Thank you for that! Most of it, I figured out but just couldn't figure out that one scenic point!! I'll be using this is 17 days! Yay!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jamie,

Is this a good place to see the sunrise or are there houses in the way? We were planning on stopping at Leonard's Bakery then making our way up the hill for sunrise. Also, looking at google maps, there doesn't appear to be any place to park or pull off. Are they real picky about parking on Oahu?

Or would Diamond Head road be a better place to see the sunrise? We could go to the beach area so there should be nothing in the way.

Thank you to anyone who can answer!

Only 4 days to go!

Edited by CruisingGals