Uber use?

Haven't used them personally, but have seen lots of discussion, pro and con. You'll get a broader range of responses on TripAdvisor, which is a 'sister site' to Cruise Critic. Here's a link to their San Francisco forum:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60713-i30-San_Francisco_California.html

You can just browse posting topics, or do a search for "Uber", or register and post your own question.

Edited by Kartgv

I recently used Uber in Copenhagen. It was a great experience. We only waited 4 minutes, got a picture of both the driver and car from Uber so we knew what to look for. The entire transaction is done by the phone apps. The drivers phone calculates the fare, based on time and distance. No cash or tips change hands. Actual fare receipt is by text. Would do it again. Very happy with cost.

If you aren't registered, use this link to get a discount on your first ride: https://www.uber.com/invite/thomasb700

Once you use Uber, I'm willing to bet you will never use a taxi again if there's a choice :) The basic service is UberX ; the car is a Prius or larger (drivers who buy a Prius can get financing from Uber, but they can use their own car that meets safety and size standards). If you have a lot of passengers and luggage there's other service levels that provide more capacity.

Before you leave, you set up an Uber account with payment info. There's a great promo going on with Capital One cards. CapOne owns an interest in Uber, if you use the promo code CAPITALONE you will get $30 off your first two Uber rides if you pay with that card; also there's a 20% discount and no expiration date is shown. Note the very first promo code you enter will apply and can't be reversed, so shop around for the "welcome" promo that works best for you.

The Uber website has good "how-to" tutorials. I personally like the feature that shows the progress of the car picking you up; that eliminates waiting and watching at the curb until the car is approaching. Another great feature is you rate the driver and they rate you (so don't be a jerk, just kidding!)

I'd assume Uber cars have the same security access to the pier as any other private vehicle (whatever that is). The Uber website has a fare estimator; if they can't drop off at the pier it will tell you.

Edited by kenish