Asian Cruise ex Shanghai

downundermatt

So we've bitten the bullet and done it !! There's no-one on the main thread or the Gay thread - assume we will be on Quantum next month with 4000 of our closest Asian friends.

Assume it will be a mainly Chinese Crowd as the trip starts and finishes in Shanghai -

Anyone have any experience - I know the Chinese can be rude at times, wonder how they will respond to a openly Gay couple

I'm not sure if your post is intended to racially profile or discriminate, but I think maybe a better gross generalization would be that all people, regardless of race, can be rude at times...

My other half and I sailed from Vancouver to Shanghai last October, stopping at ports in Japan and China, before disembarking in Shanghai. We had a great cruise. The ship was packed as I assumed that it would be less expensive for many tourists to cruise back to Shanghai or any of the ports in China / Japan than to fly. Many were going home, or visiting family and got off at various ports. My guess is that 75% of the ship comprised of Asian, with many representing Chinese.

We stayed over in Shanghai for 5 days and did not experience any prejudice or discrimination. The people there were welcoming it seemed to us. Their culture is different but for the most part we thought they enjoyed meeting us. The hospitality was good as well. We noticed many gay Chinese couples there.

So we've bitten the bullet and done it !! There's no-one on the main thread or the Gay thread - assume we will be on Quantum next month with 4000 of our closest Asian friends.

Assume it will be a mainly Chinese Crowd as the trip starts and finishes in Shanghai -

Anyone have any experience - I know the Chinese can be rude at times, wonder how they will respond to a openly Gay couple

Rudeness is not limited to Chinese people I'm afraid. Ignorant Aussies can be too ;)

saying that - over 30 years ago I went on a tour of China for about a month and a week in Hong Kong. At the time US citizens had to travel w a group w a gov't guide. It was a "Deluxe tour" of 20 people - 18 of which were in their 60's. Then there was a young woman - about 30 yo & myself - 25 at the time. The trip was fantastic but we were surprised how forward the Chinese could be. The 30 yo woman had blond curly hair & was constantly touched everywhere we went. People would want to touch me because they were not use to seeing young caucasion people. And the merchants were overly aggressive when one would turn down buying their goods. Mind you there was no English spoken anywhere & the Gov't guide could barely translate. Interestingly Hong Kong was entirely pleasant - we stayed at the Regent Hotel.

One nice memory was when some young people asked me & the young woma to play badminton w/ them on the Bund in Shanghai...but even that turned into us feeling like we were main attraction at the zoo.

Upon my return to the states friends & family were quite surprised to hear how forward the Chinese were..but I certainly would not describe them as demure.

I had no wish to offend and agree there are rude, ignorant people in every nationality and persuasion - even on Cruise Critic !

My comment about rudeness was based on recent Cruise Critic reviews which have mentioned pushing, spitting and even urinating in the dining room.

That I consider rude from any race.

The ship us virtually full, and I'm the only poster on both roll calls - hence my assumption most of the Customers are Chinese - will know for sure next month and will post a review.

Am looking forward to a nice cruise

Edited by downundermatt
More info

I had no wish to offend and agree there are rude, ignorant people in every nationality and persuasion - even on Cruise Critic !

My comment about rudeness was based on recent Cruise Critic reviews which have mentioned pushing, spitting and even urinating in the dining room.

That I consider rude from any race.

The ship us virtually full, and I'm the only poster on both roll calls - hence my assumption most of the Customers are Chinese - will know for sure next month and will post a review.

Am looking forward to a nice cruise

Have a wonderful cruise. Please let us know how it all went.

:D