Advice for Miami departure

pls5286

My DF and I are cruising out of Miami in June for our honeymoon on the Sky. We will be driving down, so we will have my truck to take into consideration. We will be driving from extreme North GA, so we will be on the road for about 12 hrs. I have read that it is not advisable to use park and cruise lots. Are there any safe hotels for us to stay at the night before and leave our truck until we get back. If not, can someone recommend a decent hotel around the area (within an hour I will say) that we can stay at on Sunday night before we cruise?

I have sailed out of Port Canaveral a number of times, but never Miami.

Also, is there adequate handicap parking at port as long distances are tough for me.

Thanks!

Edited by pls5286

Lots of handicap parking at POM, but unless you meet some strict requirements (check the web site) it will still cost you $20/day.

There are some hotels out near the MIA airport that offer cruise parking deals - http://www.stay123.com and http://www.parksleepfly.com are two places to start your search.

Budget options often suggested on this board include La Quinta East and Comfort Suites North. Better hotels in a better (safer?) area are found in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc.). None of these include a shuttle back to your car - figure on a cab for about $25+tip.