Managing through The Greek Monetary Crisis?

CassNJ

Hi We (My husband and two teenage kids are headed out on our 3rd Star Clipper trip on 8/22 Greece and Turkey. This time we are being joined by my in-laws. While I am not worried in the least about our time on the ship, I am worried about pre-cruise (Athens) and post Cruise (Santorini). If anyone is sailing from Greece this summer I would love to hear how you managed the Money situation on land. Are restaurants and museums still accepting credit cards? Where did you need cash? I am assuming Greece still wants Euros (vs. Dollars).

I know the news is reporting that tourists can take out unlimited amounts of Euros from the ATMs but do the ATMs even have any Euros in them? What are the lines like for the ATMs?

Any boots on the ground info would be really useful.

If you check this board in the ports of call - Europe - Greece ports section there are several threads reporting from Greece.

Bottom line - best to have some Euros in hand before you arrive in Greece. ATM's were mostly OK for tourists yesterday - don't know about tomorrow. CC's accepted but some merchants getting nervous about them.

Good luck and enjoy!!

We brought plenty of Euro with us for our three week voyage - for the Greek destinations on our itinerary. Of course we'll use CCs for the Turkish locations. Because the Star Clipper is such a small ship, there is no ATM aboard. I know many folks are uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash but sometimes travel requires a bit of flexibility. Our hotels have safes as do the shipboard cabins and we are at ease using them.