Walk to Smith Cove?

GalFitness19

The walk is along a busy street with no sidewalks for almost the entire way and very narrow road shoulders. The speed limit is 25mph but traffic routinely moves faster. Not the safest place for pedestrians.

And, Capt_BJ is quite correct about the bus. The George Town route seems to rarely run. Yeah, rarely, that's putting it nicely.

Hi,

We were there just a few weeks ago. We opted to take a taxi, which was a little more difficult to arrange at the taxi-stand because most taxis are wanting to to take their (easy $) fares to 7-mile beach.

That stated, IIRC it was around $12 for the two of us to be dropped off at Smith Cove. We didn't arrange to be picked up having the intention of walking up to My Bar(Sunset House) for lunch and then calling for a return Taxi from there to then check out 7-mile beach for the afternoon.

The walk to Sunset House from Smith Cove was about 15 minutes along a road that had sidewalk for some of it and just shoulder for the rest. It was an OK walk, and I would suggest that the walk all the way from port is surely doable, but choosing the taxi would likely be a more pleasant way to go IMHO.

IMO an accurate report

I've been visiting Cayman since the mid 80's and if 'staying' I'm at Sunset. Therefore I've walked from Sunset to town a BUNCH.

Sidewalks are a hit or miss thing south of town ... def' not all the way.

Biggest issue for we US folk is remembering that while walking on the shoulder of the road, the traffic is driving on the left side .... THAT is cornfusing to us. BUT I've yet to see a CC post of anyone hurt walking this route . . .

I've walked this route a BUNCH .... and I'm still here!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. We plan on walking to Smith's Cove at the end of April when we visit. We have a car when we stay on the island, but won't have one this time since we are just there for a few hours.

I guess we have lucked out then, because everytime we have been there it has been great. I don't go out too far, I'm more comfortable near the shore. My husband usually swims out to the reef. He grew up in San Diego, surfing & snorkeling, so the Caribbean water seems fairly tame to him.

this time of the year has in my experience seen more bad days that other times of the year. more common for wind and waves to be out of the west and that makes the anchorages and places away from 7 mile on the west side (Eden, Sunset, Smiths) a bit more bouncy . . . last time I spent 3rd week in March at Sunset we could only shore dive 2 of 5 possible days due to ruff conditions. we were taken to south side or north sound for diving . . .

We were there 4 times and were able to snorkel only once. Water was too murky the other times. Really enjoyed snorkeling the one time. Saw a local couple get married another time. We were there in Dec, Jan, and March (in various years). You never know with snorkeling.....

• 5 months later...