Ever been "stung" by a stingray??

noahsark99

When we were there last week, I was holding one up and felt a pretty bad sting around my left shoulder/chest area. The stingray didn't even touch me in that area, so I don't know if it was from him or a jelly fish. We have swam through a school of jellyfish (not that day) and I have felt them sting before, but it wasn't as bad. It stung, itched, and burned for about 30 minutes, then I got some bumps right in that area.

We think the bumps were from too much sun, but I'm not sure about the sting. It didn't leave any marks, and it just itched for a couple of days. :confused:

I would still go back to swim with them again, though.

I've never been stung, but I came home with a "stingray hickey" by not letting go of the squid fast enough. It didn't really hurt, but I had a little "blood blister" on that finger for a few days.

I've lived in Florida my entire life and have been around lots of stingrays. Their "stinger" is actually a large barbed spike in their tails. They only extend it if they're forcefully stepped on or otherwise mistreated, though.

I've got an amusing Stingray story....

A few years ago I went on a stingray excursion in Bora Bora.

Without my knowledge, one of the guides stood behind me holding a squid over my shoulder.

Much to my shock/delight, a stingray jumped out of the water and literally enveloped me with his wings to get the squid.:eek:

Unbelievable!:D

We just got back this Sunday. We were treading water that was probably 15 feet deep. We accidentaly kicked a few and nothing happened. Right after I got in the water though one did suck me right above my knee. At first it felt like something took a chunk out of my leg but I did not panic since I knew they do not have teeth to bite. When I got back on the boat, I had a huge mark on my leg in the shape of 2 lips. Within an hour it turned black and blue. That was a week ago yesterday and it still can be seen. Our guide says it happens some times when they get excited. We were the only boat there and I was not even near the food.

Archived