Mangalore looks underwhelming for tours

barefootbeach

Hi,

We'll be here at the end of March, and the ship's shore excursions and day tours offered by local companies do not look that appealing, so I"m not sure I want to commit to the expense and 4 1/2 hours-6 hours. Is it possible/desirable to just pick up a taxi or rickshaw and have them take us to the church and 2 temples and stop for some shopping? Is this a big hassle location? Or, should we just take the half day tour. So much appreciate hearing from people who've been there. Thanks!

I still have openings for my tour, if you are on the Century.

Mangalore

This tour is $85 per person for a maximum of 18 persons in a 21 seater van.

The tour is described in this link. It includes

1. Pick up from the cruise terminal

2. Cashew factory visit

3. Kadri and Gogarnatha temple visit

4. Visit Central market

5. St. Aloysius Chapel visit

6. Orientation tour of Mangalore city

7. Drop you at the cruise terminal according to your schedule.

http://www.mangaloredaytours.com/mangalore-tours/private-sightseeing-tours/

Payment will be at the time of the tour.

My name is George Griffith and with DW Ginny will be staying in Cabin 1246.

If interested in this tour, please send me an email with your first and last names, cabin number if desired, where you are from and your cc handle.

email

geovagriffith at comcast dot net

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in April and there is not much to recommend the city. The church/chapel is interesting but the rest pretty much meh. The key is secure a very good guide with great personality that offers a deeper sense of the city, Hinduism, area social life and a place for a good lunch. The fish fry and crab dishes are famous in the city so consider going to a top notch restaurant that is well-known for those.

The Central Market is a waste of time. Consider visiting the new Hindu temple complex hidden down a back alley. The Gandhi family contributed millions to the construction and its an impressive place to wander around - multiple temples and statues and characters running about. The Jain temple - an hour's drive - is a miss, not worth the time. I heard mediocre reactions from others who went to the cashew nut factory.

I do recommend you get the guide to take you to the wholesale fish market. Its not like the Tokyo fish market - this one is crazy, wild and bustling with colors, stink and haggling over tons of fish lying about on the wharf. Individual families and hotel chefs come down, kicking and touching the fish, boats are unloading the catch, the fish are all over for blocks. Quite a sight and smell that you won't get at the usual tourist places!